3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Shan G. Mandrayar

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Pack Frame For Elk Hunting & Work-Out (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Pack Frame For Elk Hunting & Work-Out
DeerSpotter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeerSpotter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a pack frame, that I got from Cabelas. It seems like it's sturdy enough. It's all aluminum, and it's the Alaskan outfitter guide series.

This is the second one I've had, I'm wondering if this is strong enough to pack out an elk ? I've seen alot of guys have used them for doing that very thing. They just say it gets the job done.

Anyone have first hand knowledge of it ?

Thanks

Carl

[IMG]  - [/IMG]

[IMG]  - [/IMG]

Posts: 1958 | From: St. Paul,MN | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingnut
SPONSOR - Charter Member
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wingnut   Author's Homepage   Email wingnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep I used one for years and packed a lot of elk with it. I think it's out in the shed somewhere now.

Switched to an internal frame Kifaru when I started hunting Alaska as I where it all day every day up there.

Get yourself a cargo net for strapping meat down to the frame and your good to go.

Mike

--------------------
www.dryadbows.com
www.dryadbows.com/helleknives/index.htm

http://www.facebook.com/dryadbows?ref=ts
TRADGANG Sponsor since day 1

Posts: 9369 | From: weatherford, texas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bucknut
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 40674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bucknut   Email bucknut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is one of the newer models they carry a load very nicely. My older one is 25 + years old and still does the job but not nearly as comfortable as the newer ones. My brother has one that's probably 7-8 years old and does well. His has a pocket built in that has buckles and straps to cinch down meat loads without cargo net or lashing. I went to an Outdoorsmans optic hunter pack and love it. It has a flexible plastic external frame that flexes with your body and you can remove the pack in about a minute. It has a built in meat hauling pocket on the frame too.
Posts: 614 | From: S. E. Ohio | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeerSpotter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeerSpotter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one has straps and buckles under the platform that folds down in a pouch. There is like a mini tarp, it pulls out and buckles around the top frame. I imagine it is for holding the meat in or the cargo you are hauling. The padding on the straps for your hips are well padded. I purchased it last year in the fall.

Now if I can hire someone to wear it and pack the meat LOL

I just keep thinking that's an awful lot of meat. It takes two years for my wife tonight finish off one doe. My last Doe was 155 lbs. And that lasted about two years for us. (slow eaters ! )

Carl

Posts: 1958 | From: St. Paul,MN | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bucknut
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 40674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bucknut   Email bucknut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to chew faster! That frame will do you a great job. Now you just have to get one on the ground and the hard work begins. It's nice to have a young lad or 2 with a strong back in camp just in case you do get one.
Posts: 614 | From: S. E. Ohio | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingnut
SPONSOR - Charter Member
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wingnut   Author's Homepage   Email wingnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry you'll eat elk a lot faster then deer. It's a lot better. Heck an elk is nothing. Try packing a moose. 550 pounds of boned out meat plus a 60# rack.

note: we haven't eaten beef since we started bringing moose home.

Mike

--------------------
www.dryadbows.com
www.dryadbows.com/helleknives/index.htm

http://www.facebook.com/dryadbows?ref=ts
TRADGANG Sponsor since day 1

Posts: 9369 | From: weatherford, texas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeerSpotter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10453

I got this pack, about a year ago. I purchased it to do walking campsites up north deer hunting with bow. I just checked on Cabelas website, they don't even offer it anymore. The ones that are on there are really cheap ones. I think it's because the other guys B***p** bought them out. This one here would be great for hauling the deer boned out. I've been thinking about moving to South Dakota. The black tails are a little bit bigger than the White tail in some areas. And South Dakota is closer to elk hunting. It's good to have quality stuff, specially at my age.

Carl

Herdbull
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Herdbull   Email Herdbull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it will work OK, but you need to work out with it with variable weight prior to trip. I have the Cabelas Instinct frame which I used to pack out a moose. Mike
Posts: 1656 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twitchstick
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 19043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twitchstick   Email twitchstick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I suggest is never have just on pack frame if you can. Having a buddy with one shortens the trips made.
Posts: 3041 | From: utah | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JusAGuy
Member # 46204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JusAGuy   Email JusAGuy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DeerSpotter:
....... I just checked on Cabelas website, they don't even offer it anymore. The ones that are on there are really cheap ones. I think it's because the other guys B***p** bought them out. This one here would be great for hauling the deer boned out. .....
Carl

I bought mine two years ago (i've got 'skunked' these past two years as well....) and love it. I am so glad i got one before Cabela's discontinued 'em. They're still available, but ya gotta buy it with the pack-sack (i think it was $299 for the "set").

I have pro-quality expedition mountaineering packs (Gregory Denali Pro and the Petit Dru Pro as well) and a mid-sized climbing pack and choose to use my Cabela's pack frame for when i'm hunting.

I train with it and just really have a lot of confidence with it.

If you want the creme da la creme in backpacks, look up Dan McHale's packs. The best packs available anywhere....but they're spendy...

--------------------
Southwest Archery "Spyder" recurve (lefty)
+35lb limbs
+60lb limbs
Hunters Choice Bowstring

Posts: 82 | From: Colorado | Registered: Apr 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Orton
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 7480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Orton   Email Mike Orton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bucknut:
If it is one of the newer models they carry a load very nicely. My older one is 25 + years old and still does the job but not nearly as comfortable as the newer ones. My brother has one that's probably 7-8 years old and does well. His has a pocket built in that has buckles and straps to cinch down meat loads without cargo net or lashing. I went to an Outdoorsmans optic hunter pack and love it. It has a flexible plastic external frame that flexes with your body and you can remove the pack in about a minute. It has a built in meat hauling pocket on the frame too.

Yup 1+ on the Outdoorsman's plastic frame that flexes with you. Been using this frame for a while now and it's really quite comfy with a load. Recently added a Bison Gear Lost River bag to the frame. After all these decades of trying to find the right combination, I think I've finally found the sweet spot. Outdoorsman's pack frame combined with the Lost River bag is just big enough to hold what needs holding during the hunt and still have a full external frame to hump out the weight after success. The Meat bag is perfect. I got rid of the pack straps from the Bison Gear and mounted direct to the plastic frame with extra long straps to losen, so as to pack meat aboard onto the frame.
Another good option that nearly made the cut for me is the Barney's of Alaska Frontier Gear Pack with aluminum frame. Nice unit but the rigid nature of the frame just didn't do it for me....a bit confining. I couldn't shoot with the pack frame on. Outdoorsman's plastic flex frame is good to go while shooting... [archer]

Far and away the best way to man-hump out an elk is via sled though. If there's snow the sled is the way to go....but that's another topic.

--------------------
Proud to be a "Deplorable Infidel".

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 941 | From: Southern California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeerSpotter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10453

OK<>OK<>OK [dead horse] I have hear that dirty work enough.

" TRAINING "

I will get the pack out, I have an old pack I can use, I will put 25 pounds of rocks IN IT ! And I will start walking around the house, maybe the block, maybe two blocks. I will even take a walking stick ! It always starts with the first step right [scared]

Maybe I'll lose a pound or two, I'll drop rocks on the way [biglaugh]
I'll start first thing tomorrow, okay maybe Monday !

I'll keep you informed,

DeerSpotter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10453

Any advice on working out with a frame pack. Or isn't necessary !

What's the best routine ! I would imagine starting slow and working up to carrying 50 75 lb wt ? Can you give me some ideas what you do.

Thanks

zwickey2bl
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zwickey2bl   Email zwickey2bl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have that same pack frame. Last year I killed an elk, fair sized 5x5. ,my buddy had the same frame. We got the whole elk out in one trip with the two of us packing but did have to go back for the rack. We just left ours in camp till the kill was made, hiked out, got the pack frames, and went back for the meat and horns.
Posts: 347 | From: NW Alabama | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeerSpotter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10453

I do think the best way to go would be with a friend. There is always safety that way. And a better way would be three of you. One elk one trip.

I've heard of some guys using ATVs, I don't know how that would be, except disturbing to the wilderness. We want it to be untouched as much is possible. Any areas that would have ATVs would have population too. As in high-pressure hunting area.

If you find something that's difficult and master it, you won't find many other people doing the same thing. People wanted easy and fast nowadays.

Elk hunting and easy doesn't go in the same sentence very good. !

Carl

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©