3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Shan G. Mandrayar

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » I LOVE this little bow! Carbons? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I LOVE this little bow! Carbons?
Orion
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orion   Email Orion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Ashby studies are still archived on this site somewhere. Take a look at them. The short of it is that a weight forward arrow improves flight and penetration.
Posts: 8678 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mahantango
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mahantango   Email mahantango   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're stuck on .500s, heavy heads/ inserts will reduce the dynamic spine and MAY give you acceptable flight. Weight tubes will only increase total arrow weight. I would opt for .600s.

--------------------
We are all here because we are not all there.

Posts: 1162 | From: central Pa. | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgf
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgf   Email mgf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weight tubes are an option when you don't want to effect dynamic spine.

Since some carbon arrows are SO light, you can add the weight tubes and use your "normal" weight heads and end up with a similar FOC as you would have with your old aluminums (or whatever.

I have some beeman bowhunters that I rigged that way with a 125 grain head (because I have a bunch and I still have about a 13% FOC. It shot through last years buck at 15 yards or so and stuck the arrow in the ground.

The big problem with the weight tubes is that you have to glue everything in (nocks too) or it'll fly apart.

Posts: 356 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the rifleman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 31319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the rifleman   Email the rifleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As others have said, I would agree that 600s are going to work out better for you than 500s. I have been able to tune 600s at that draw weight out of bows such as yours but found even full length 500s loaded up front to be way too stiff. With arrow weights today, I believe you can find 600s in whatever gpi you need without worrying about weight tubes. I because carbon reacts so quickly to length changes I think you will be able to cut them back to whatever length you need to get them to tune with whatever weight up front you want.
Posts: 573 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Van Dort
CONTRIBUTOR 2018 - Mod
Member # 137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Van Dort   Email Tony Van Dort   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRH:
[qb] .....I kept the bow, and have been shooting my old awesome lam birch arrows (way over-spine) out of it, but looking at some "Traditional Only"

FWIW....Lam Birch arrows are not stiff (heavily spined)...they are heavy noodles. Suggest you abandon the comparison and take a look at Stu's Calculator which will give you a good place to start as you look for the correct "Trad only" shafts with which to build yer arrows. JMHO

Posts: 2430 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
9 Shocks
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 36782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9 Shocks   Email 9 Shocks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
29.5 .500 spine shafts should shoot good with 200-225 grain points.

--------------------
58" Thunderstick Mag 50@28
58" TallTines Recurve 47@27

Posts: 561 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRH
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3098

Icon 10 posted      Profile for JRH   Email JRH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, a lot of good information to chew on!
So, 600's with normal conventional weight up front, or 500's with a load up front? Hmmm...

--------------------
A dowg that's in the hunt don't know he's got flea's....
JRH
Goose Creek SC.
Jeremiah. 29:11

Posts: 130 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©