3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Cade M. Cabrera

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Getting older, priorities, being happy! (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Getting older, priorities, being happy!
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I retired for about a year, and then went back to work part time out of boredom. I am having some health issues that make travel very difficult and some others that have made it very difficult to shoot the bow. I did not hunt this year. I have even begun to consider taking up the rifle again, something I haven't done in 23 years. Shoulder surgery fixed part of my problem, but arthritis is beginning to really become an issue. That takes some of the luster off bowhunting. Fishing with the grandson is a big part of my spring time plan. I don't have to travel far or climb trees to catch fish.

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4888 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron LaClair
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron LaClair   Email Ron LaClair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I turned 60 I bought a Harley and got a tattoo, it made me feel 20 years younger. [goldtooth]

-

Last summer at age 81 I went on a one week road trip on the bike and on the last day I road over 200 miles to make it to the GLLI. So the solution to getting old is....don't act your age. [biglaugh]

-

--------------------
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.

Posts: 5040 | From: Potterville Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Bolin
Contributor 2014
Member # 401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Bolin   Email Mike Bolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't feel old at all. My point was that I am content with hunting deer and turkey here at home and spending more time with my wife, kids and grandkids. 3 mornings a week I lift weights and try walk 3-5 miles a day. I've been cutting and splitting firewood this morning and am heading out this afternoon to try to get deer number 3 for the season. Maybe I should've worded my title differently. I was just saying that I am content with my life. I'm not ruling out a Moose hunt in the future, it just isn't as much of a priority as it once was. Happy New Year to everyone here on the "gang"! Mike

--------------------
Black Widow PLIII 62", 49#@28"
Black Widow PLV 62", 50#@28"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
NRA Life Member

Posts: 3341 | From: West Terre Haute, Indiana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeerSpotter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeerSpotter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
I'll be 82 in March, if you guys think it's bad now.... wait until you look like this

-

Is that " wishful thinking " Ron [biglaugh] [pray]

I think you look pretty good Ron, I think you're three times as active as I am !!!

Carl

Posts: 1955 | From: St. Paul,MN | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeerSpotter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeerSpotter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ron,

I had to get up on my gold wing because of my knees !

What's your plans for when you get 120 ! And besides yeah don't look a day over 25 !!!

I bet you are skydiving without telling us !

Carl

Posts: 1955 | From: St. Paul,MN | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeerSpotter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10453

Wow ! Mike,

Splitting wood, hunting deer, running a 3 to 5 mile race with turkeys.

I think I got to have a better attitude Mike, because it looks like you got it down. Attitudes are adjustable, and that's all you have done to bring your self right down to happiness. You look like a guy that appreciates what he has not what he needs to chase to be happy. Having your wife help you with that, that's great

Congratulations on retirement !

Carl

Ron LaClair
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron LaClair   Email Ron LaClair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of cutting wood I did some of that too last fall. It's good to know I can still cut it....wood that is [biglaugh]

-

--------------------
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.

Posts: 5040 | From: Potterville Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Bolin
Contributor 2014
Member # 401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Bolin   Email Mike Bolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Ron, if you get tired of the Kawasaki Mule, I'd be glad to load up and get it out of your way! Never had a side by side before but now that I'm retired I find more and more uses for one. I gotta '05 John Deere Buck (650 CanAm) that I'd leave for you to use! ;<) LOL!

--------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 3341 | From: West Terre Haute, Indiana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron LaClair
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13

I love my Mule Mike. I've got a Polaris quad but I got the Mule a few years ago when Nancy was too sick to walk in the woods so I'd take her for rides around the farm.

I haul it up to Shrew Haven in the U P every year now too, It's real handy for old guys with bad knees. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pointer
Contributor 2015
Member # 11915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pointer   Email Pointer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like pretty good situation Mike...congratulations. And a wife who enjoys it too..I envy you that..lol.
Posts: 968 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buckster
Contributor 2015
Member # 8884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buckster   Author's Homepage   Email buckster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep on keeping on Mike!

--------------------
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Posts: 2790 | From: Central AR | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have noticed that the colder it gets, the older I feel. With these current temps, some of you northern guys must be about 110 years old this week.

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4888 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxbo
Contributor 2017
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxbo   Author's Homepage   Email foxbo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could never stand the term "bucket list". I'm almost 64 and retired almost two years ago. I do what feels good and there is no "list" involved. Kind of like "man cave", I don't like that crap term either. Yup, I'm a crusty ole bastard. :)

--------------------
N/A

Posts: 1324 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Bolin
Contributor 2014
Member # 401

Sam-went out mid-morning and hiked a bit under 2 miles on the hunting property looking for turkey sign (season goes out on Sunday) and checking out the deer movement. Wind chill was -3 degrees when I hit the woods. As long as I was moving it wasn't real bad...not real good either!

--------------------
NRA Life Member

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©