3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Shan G. Mandrayar

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Best cresting paint for aluminum arrows

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best cresting paint for aluminum arrows
Homey88
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Homey88   Email Homey88   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the best cresting paint for aluminum arrows? Thanks in advance.
Posts: 1284 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reddogge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reddogge   Author's Homepage   Email reddogge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use any acrylic paint, model paint from hobby shops, etc. But I'm cresting over a Rustoleum spray painted cap too. I lightly sand the aluminum and clean with acetone.

--------------------
PBS Reg member 1973
Maryland Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA

Posts: 5032 | From: Finksburg, MD | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wooddamon1
Contributor 2018
Member # 26099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wooddamon1   Email wooddamon1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Testor's enamel model paints for me. Some colors need thinning, the metallic colors don't. I use these over a Krylon spray cap, then overcoat the entire fletch end with Min-Wax water-base poly. Holds up well. Oh, a flat white base under everything.

--------------------
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Posts: 4811 | From: Muskegon, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mahantango
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mahantango   Email mahantango   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mike. I scuff with Scotchbrite, clean with denatured alcohol,cap with Rust-Oleum, and crest with Testors model paint.

--------------------
We are all here because we are not all there.

Posts: 1162 | From: central Pa. | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homey88
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Homey88   Email Homey88   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for the feedback greatly appreciated as always!
Posts: 1284 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Hoeck
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Hoeck   Email Tim Hoeck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the Sharpe markers and all kind of colors and can touch up reall easy.
Posts: 359 | From: sd | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Hoeck
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Hoeck   Email Tim Hoeck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the Sharpe markers and all kind of colors and can touch up real real easy
Posts: 359 | From: sd | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Clandinin
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 17084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Clandinin   Email Steve Clandinin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I,ve been doing aluminums now for 45 years have used every paint there is .now I use one stringer raps as good as it gets lookn unreal ,so easty to apply and Platinum fletch lac sticks like crazy I would never use paints again .One stringer comes in a cuzillion patters and cut for evert shaft diameter. nothing better

--------------------
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Posts: 3055 | From: Sask. Canada | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homey88
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40473

Thanks for the feedback! Going to check out the one stringer wraps.
M60gunner
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 6337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for M60gunner   Email M60gunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always used Bohning Fletch Laq paints since forever. Messy, stinky, all the negatives to using paint but the best there is. Made for painting aluminums. Actually not but for our purposes it is. All that said I now use wraps as well. Cheaper, no mess, no fuss, no drying time. I crest over them. So far I have used as cresting paint, Bohning Cresting paints, Pactra RC car paints and Testors Acrylic paints. The latter was the cheapest and I got a whole set for about $12 at the crafts store. Whatever I use I wait about 8 hours and apply with a foam brush MinWax Polycrillic waterbased. Usually one coat. My glue of choice is Saunders NPV glue
Posts: 2225 | From: Sun City, Az. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hud
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 9639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hud   Author's Homepage   Email Hud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easton recommended cleaning aluminum shafts with water and Ajax. I have used ever since, 50 yrs. Use a paper towel and keep your fingers off. Rinse and let dry. Drying with a paper towel is ok.
It removes the oxidation and does not leave a film that you commonly see when cleaning windows. For a crown dip, I like a vinyl based lacquer used in various industries that paint metal. Next is Bohning, but you'll need an approved respirator. Most lacquers will work for cresting, except with Bohning, only their cresting paints will work.
wraps may be the way to avoid the problems.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2109 | From: Ridgefield, Wa. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©