3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Shan G. Mandrayar

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Another ILF ? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Another ILF ?
ranger 3
Contributor 2014
Member # 3123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ranger 3   Email ranger 3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who shoots a ILF and how do you like them? I am on the edge and can't make the commitment. Please help me decide.

--------------------
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Posts: 3226 | From: il | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kromer
Member # 44858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kromer   Email Kromer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have and shoot both of the Tribe ILF risers. I received the Halo in a trade and loved it, then got an opportunity to pick up an X3 and like that one even more! I paired both up with Trad Tech longbow limbs and they both performed great with those limbs, I just like the grip on the X3 slightly better. I would like to try a higher grade limb at some point.
Posts: 84 | From: MN | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nineworlds9
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 37028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nineworlds9   Email nineworlds9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't beat the ability to super tune if you like fiddling with your setup and trying new things. If you're a fiddler on regular bows or enjoy trying new bows ILF can (will? LOL) send that into overdrive. It does allow you to really tailor your bow...you might love the grip/riser from one maker and then find a set of limbs of a certain make and style that just "Do it" for you. If you're a set it and forget it kind of hunter/shooter, i.e. shoot one kind of bow type/ poundage/hunting arrow/head all the time it might be counterproductive if you're already shooting a particular bow lights out. Anyway, have fun. If you get into it don't say I didn't warn you with a big grin.

--------------------
54" Java Man Helms Deep
54" Shrew CH Carbon
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
62" Cleland Stickbow

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Posts: 7159 | From: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 3 Zipper risers, 3 Morrison's risers, 2 warfs, a Das, and a Black Mamba riser. All lengths from 13" to 22" and a whole bunch of limbs. I enjoy mixing limbs and risers to see how thing work together and they are just fun to tune and shoot. Killed the bear in my Avatar with a ILF set up. I like them.......

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 15961 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxwell
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 7005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxwell   Email maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't beat the versatility, lots of limb choices from all over the world.
Posts: 2418 | From: Syracuse NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ranger 3
Contributor 2014
Member # 3123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ranger 3   Email ranger 3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if you had a pair of limbs 40@28 on a 17" riser what would they be on a 21" riser?

--------------------
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Posts: 3226 | From: il | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About 36#, but it can depend on the limb pocket angle. You can figure about a pound an inch. Longer riser less #, shorter riser more #.

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 15961 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stujay
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stujay   Email stujay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once I got started with ILF bows that's all I use. I prefer LB limbs with my risers.
Posts: 2436 | From: Northern Idaho | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old_goat2
Contributor 2014
Member # 35569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old_goat2   Author's Homepage   Email old_goat2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nineworlds9:
Can't beat the ability to super tune if you like fiddling with your setup and trying new things. If you're a fiddler on regular bows or enjoy trying new bows ILF can (will? LOL) send that into overdrive. It does allow you to really tailor your bow...you might love the grip/riser from one maker and then find a set of limbs of a certain make and style that just "Do it" for you. If you're a set it and forget it kind of hunter/shooter, i.e. shoot one kind of bow type/ poundage/hunting arrow/head all the time it might be counterproductive if you're already shooting a particular bow lights out. Anyway, have fun. If you get into it don't say I didn't warn you with a big grin.

This says it well! Only thing I'll add is If you have an exceptionally long draw and can't trim arrows, they can make things a lot easier for you!

--------------------
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Posts: 2175 | From: ArvadaCO | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redux
Contributor 2016
Member # 22698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally bought my first ILF riser about 3 months ago, I'm extremely happy....It allows me to have the same feel/hand placement for everything...hunting rig, indoor rig, 3d rig...all I have to do is change my limbs cause I like to shoot different poundage for each... the ability to micro tune everything has also been interesting and tons of fun...I've never had the confidence in my single string biw like this!
Posts: 101 | From: Northern Indiana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friend
2017 Contributor
Member # 15967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friend   Email Friend   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have been setting up and shooting them for many years and have been quite pleased.

An ILF provides the opportunity to learn much with regard to a bows particular design.

Like them for indoors, 3D and in the field hunting.

--------------------
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Posts: 6656 | From: Hanson, KY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friend
2017 Contributor
Member # 15967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friend   Email Friend   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have been setting up and shooting them for many years and have been quite pleased.

An ILF provides the opportunity to learn much with regard to a bows particular design.

Personal experience has demonstrated they are an excellent choice for indoors, 3D and hunting.

--------------------
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Posts: 6656 | From: Hanson, KY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ranger 3
Contributor 2014
Member # 3123

What arrow set up for a 40# ilf 28" draw?

--------------------
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

reddogge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reddogge   Author's Homepage   Email reddogge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see, I have four ILF risers and 5 pairs of limbs. Hey, I'm short a riser. Better get busy.

ranger3, try .600 carbons full length to start.

--------------------
PBS Reg member 1973
Maryland Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA

Posts: 5031 | From: Finksburg, MD | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nala
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nala   Email Nala   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been shooting ILF bows for a few years now and really like them. I like the ability to back off the weight some when I'm not feeling as strong as I usually am. Of course you can crank them down and shoot at max poundage too.

A 40# bow at 28 inches is about what I shoot and I find that 500 spined carbons shoot great and in aluminum I shoot 2016.

I say take the plunge. You'll enjoy it. If you're a tuner nut like some people are, you will be on Cloud 9 with an ILF rig. All kinds of adjustments possible.

Good luck and tell us what way you decided and what bow you got.

Larry

Posts: 1110 | From: TEXAS....Spring Area | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©