3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Cade M. Cabrera

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » OK , school me on strings (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OK , school me on strings
Robert Armstrong
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 38670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Armstrong   Email Robert Armstrong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Halo serving
Posts: 369 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Armstrong
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 38670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Armstrong   Email Robert Armstrong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chads DVD is great
Posts: 369 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trad guys are the best there is, I love the share info attitude and have had 2 guys offer to send a string to try out!!

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 12199 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[campfire] [wavey]
Posts: 11598 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pointer
Contributor 2015
Member # 11915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pointer   Email Pointer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been making my own Flemish Twist for the past 25 or so years and I still prefer the original Fast Flite Plus. I have one older bow that I use B50 on but everything else gets Fast Flite Plus. It gives me the extra speed and is very quiet....for what its worth.
Posts: 968 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LBR
SPONSOR
Member # 236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LBR   Author's Homepage   Email LBR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, the original Fast Flight material is still available in BCY's 652 Spectra. Brownell owns the name but can't get the original material. The founders of BCY (Ray Browne and Bob Destin) invented the material when they worked for Brownell, and can still get it. I have a bunch of spools in my shop for sale, cheap.

--------------------
Champion Custom Bowstrings
Trad Gang Sponsor since March 2003--Voted In By Members
Proud Supporter of the Catch-a-Dream Foundation
www.catchadream.org

Bowstring Questions? recurves.com/faqs.html

Posts: 6143 | From: MS | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LBR
SPONSOR
Member # 236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LBR   Author's Homepage   Email LBR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've posted this before, so I apologize for the redundancy...

There are only 3 basic types of modern bowstring materials (not counting primitive materials like natural fibers, silk, linen, hide, etc.).

Within their specific categories, the characteristics don't vary a lot. The higher grades will have less stretch/creep, but they are still made from the same basic materials.

#1. Polyester - Or, as most of us like to call it, "dacron" (which is a trade name that has expired). For now we have B-55 and B-50. B-55 is a slightly higher grade so it has a little less stretch and creep and a tad more durability, but it has the same basic characteristics as B-50.

#2. HMPE - High Modulus Polyethylene, aka Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE, UHMWP). Basically a very strong plastic fiber--the strongest man-made fiber available. Trade names include Spectra and Dyneema. Bowstring materials include 652 Spectra, Dynaflight '97, 8125, Mercury, etc. Very strong, almost no elasticity, low creep. The first bow string material in this category was invented by Ray Browne and Bob Destin, the original "Fast Flight".

#3. HMPE/LCP (Liquid Crystal Polymer) Blends - LCP's include the brand names "Vectra" and "Vectran". Very temperature resistant, practically no stretch or creep, this type of yarn was incorporated with HMPE to create the most stable (in all temperatures) of bowstring materials. These include Trophy, 450+, 452X, BCY-X. This material was first developed into bowstring by Bob Destin of BCY. As a side note, there are no 100% LCP bowstring materials because it won't withstand flexing in one point (like the nock point) over and over. Like the old Kevlar material, if it were 100% LCP it would break, usually without warning.

Anyhow...that's the break down. Most variations you see (or hear) within one of these three categories is normally going to be much more due to the string build, bow design, tuning, nock fit, arrow weight, your release, etc.

--------------------
Champion Custom Bowstrings
Trad Gang Sponsor since March 2003--Voted In By Members
Proud Supporter of the Catch-a-Dream Foundation
www.catchadream.org

Bowstring Questions? recurves.com/faqs.html

Posts: 6143 | From: MS | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steelhead
Contributor 2014
Member # 9220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steelhead   Email Steelhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had great results with 8 strand D-10 built by SBD with wool puffs.Every bow I have used it on has been made quieter and softer shooting.Some results have been dramatic.
Posts: 4908 | From: Lake Orion MI. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark R
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BCY-X is what I prefer.
Posts: 200 | From: il. | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kennym
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 2304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym   Author's Homepage   Email kennym   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you guys for the input, I will order some string soon. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Posts: 12199 | From: Linneus , Mo. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've posted this before, so I apologize for the redundancy...
Please don't apologise!

I copied and pasted that into a permanent reference document.

Thank you very much.

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 3088 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Overspined
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Overspined   Email Overspined   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
452-x. I just make Flemish. I make it enough strands to match up with serving to fit nocks. 2 bundle or 3, 18 strand for woodies. But I can make skinny strings or thinner for carbons etc..stuff is strong as heck, little fray or fuzz, and it isn’t loud.
Posts: 2107 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©