3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Shan G. Mandrayar

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » hunting full moon (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: hunting full moon
joe munno
Member # 44247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe munno   Email joe munno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a chance to hunt ohio oct 22 to 26. The full moon is on the 24 th . I never liked hunting on a full moon . What do you guys think . I always liked a dark moon for the rut . thanks joe .

--------------------
48# blackwidow 45# toelke whip hs and 43# toelke pika

Posts: 75 | From: LongIsland N.Y. | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowguy67
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 45078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowguy67   Email Bowguy67   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People are prob gonna quote tests. The deer they say move the same. Prob same people who tested the people voting and guaranteed a Hillary landslide.
Anyway I don't like full moons in any type hunting. The deer usually are moving very little even during the rut over here. I still hunt but I'd not pay for it. Other areas may differ and I've personally never hunted Ohio,

Posts: 101 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowguy67
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 45078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowguy67   Email Bowguy67   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People are prob gonna quote tests. The deer they say move the same. Prob same people who tested the people voting and guaranteed a Hillary landslide.
Anyway I don't like full moons in any type hunting. The deer usually are moving very little even during the rut over here. I still hunt but I'd not pay for it. Other areas may differ and I've personally never hunted Ohio,

Posts: 101 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drewsbow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 3040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for drewsbow   Email drewsbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no need to hunt the full moon , I shot it last night at midnight and it now hangs on my wall where the window used to be . [goldtooth] [biglaugh]

--------------------
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Posts: 6287 | From: Dansville N.Y. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GDPolk
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 36712

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GDPolk   Email GDPolk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to hunt pretty much all the time. Sure the moon does have an effect on animals, but it sure doesn't take away the joy of being in God's country. I've taken game animals here in Arkansas on about every kind of temperature, precipitation, season, and/or moon condition you could have except flat out tornadoes or thunderstorms due to safety reasons. Some days and conditions are better than others but I've never once filled a freezer while while at home daydreaming about getting outside.

--------------------
Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbow - 53.5lbs @ 29"
GT Traditional 5575 - 225gr up front for 22% FOC

Posts: 1426 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mec lineman
2017 Contributor
Member # 29030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mec lineman   Email mec lineman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im like you, id rather hunt a dark moon phase. Honestly i think the weather is the biggest factor or contributor.

--------------------
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!" Kota Killum, Tall Tines Stickflinger ,Omega Imperial & Ten Ring strings

Posts: 710 | From: southern virginia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TooManyHobbies
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TooManyHobbies   Email TooManyHobbies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I HATE full moons. I'm not sure I've ever seen a deer on a full moon while hunting. But, I'm like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football. I know it will be fruitless, but I'm gonna try anyway.

--------------------
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Posts: 773 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K.S.TRAPPER
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for K.S.TRAPPER   Email K.S.TRAPPER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you thinking the rut will be during Oct 22-26? Just curious

Deer are more active during the midday hours on and around a full moon usually, I tend to hunt more then.

Tracy

--------------------
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Posts: 3350 | From: Kansas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ARCHER2
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 11150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ARCHER2   Email ARCHER2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Full moon, mid day hunting.

--------------------
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 1714 | From: Bastrop, Louisiana | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David McLendon
Contributor 2018
Member # 17606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David McLendon   Email David McLendon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X2 on the mid day hunting, game will be active during the night and be bedded early and late with an activity period in the middle of the day to early afternoon when most hunters are in camp complaining about the lack of activity.

--------------------
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand, and my fletching is about as left-wing as I get.

Posts: 825 | From: Oak Ridge, NC | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deer feed every few hours, full moon of dark moon. Figuring out where and when is the ticket.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13336 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monterey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monterey   Email monterey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if it's overcast and cloudy. Does that make the moon phase irrelevant?

Speaking only of elk, but with a bit of pressure they tend to go more nocturnal but it doesn't seem to be any moreso than with a full or partial moon.

--------------------
Monterey

Posts: 3094 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BMorv
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BMorv   Email BMorv   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X4 on mid day hunting. I have 4 cameras set up and almost every time I get a 10am-2pm picture it's on or near a full moon.

--------------------
Life is too short to use marginal bow wood

Posts: 241 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe munno
Member # 44247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe munno   Email joe munno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks guys a lot of good stuff .I to like to hunt when ever don't really care about moon or sun ,rain or snow . Just always heard full moon slows things down .

--------------------
48# blackwidow 45# toelke whip hs and 43# toelke pika

Posts: 75 | From: LongIsland N.Y. | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbd870
Contributor 2016
Member # 39974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbd870   Email dbd870   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They will move about the same amount during a bright moon - it's just that amount is increasingly at night. I've not had that much luck during them, even mid day. Now if it is during the rut all bets are off.

--------------------
Grizzly, SuperMag, Spyder

Posts: 1026 | From: IN | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©