3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Cade M. Cabrera

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Thoughts on the L.L. Bean 10" Main Hunting boot? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Thoughts on the L.L. Bean 10" Main Hunting boot?
JohnHV
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnHV   Author's Homepage   Email JohnHV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been wearing them for going on 35 years. Been using my current pair for about 10 years. I agree with the others that the unlined models are not for cold weather, no insulation at all! But from 40 to 85 degrees they are great. Very soft rubber bottoms, like moccassins. Very quiet. Uppers need some sort of waterproofing. I use Montana pitch blend and they are good for most applications here in Georgia. I find them very comfortable with a pair of medium weight wool socks.

--------------------
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Posts: 382 | From: Georgia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hopewell Tom
Contributor 2016
Member # 23301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hopewell Tom   Email Hopewell Tom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had 6 or 7 pairs of Bean Boots, in various heights. My one pair of Schnees are superior in many ways. The Bean Boot bottom is very good for sneaking, slippery in the wet though.
The Bean Boots are good too. It's a tough question. Montana Pitch Blend is my preferred coating for any leather upper.

--------------------
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Posts: 2222 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carcajou
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carcajou   Email Carcajou   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a pair of size 10's with buff leather, and shearling lined..bought em here a few weeks back, beautiful, but a little snug on me, I'll let em go for 75.00 TYD. cost over 200 new

--------------------
" Brothers of the Flaming Arrow "
" I came in from the Wilderness, a creature void of form"
" TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 4442 | From: Tug Hill, NY | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goingoldskool
Contributor 2018
Member # 38326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goingoldskool   Email goingoldskool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a pair early last summer to go elk hunting in Colorado. They run a bit big and followed the recommendation to order down. They are amazingly comfortable right b out of the box!it did snow on us at elevation and I did not have any trouble with slipping nor cold. I was wearing heavy wool sock with them.

I waterproofed them and not one leak. I continued to wear them back here in NW Missouri during our deer season with no complaints.

I would also recommend getting the hooks instead of the regular eyelets as it speeds the donning of them exponentially....

Soles are soft enough to feel the ground, but still offer protection.

I can't say enough good things about them!

Good luck, shoot straight and God bless,
Rodd

--------------------
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28

Posts: 904 | From: nw missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, speed hooks are the way to go. That's what I've used for years but you have to ask for them.
I've hunted in mine down to the upper 20s and wear wool socks with cotton over them for wicking.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13326 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hud
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 9639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hud   Author's Homepage   Email Hud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Felix, light weight is okay early season, but better go with the best you can afford when the weather is wet, cold, rocky etc. Good fitting boots are paramount. I would add Danner, but make sure you try some out with a base layer sock and medium or heavy weight, whatever you plan to use. Smart socks and merino wool are great.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2109 | From: Ridgefield, Wa. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
centaur
Contributor 2015
Member # 14053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for centaur   Email centaur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have worn them for years, and got the tall (16 inch) version a couple of years ago. For $1.50, Bean will put the speed hooks on, and they are the ticket, especially for the tall boots.
I wear them in the high country as well as lower elevations when the weather is mild.
Great boots for sneaking;quiet as moccasins.
 -

--------------------
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Posts: 4057 | From: WY - East face of the Bighorns | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brock
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 7061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brock   Email Brock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have worn this boot or the Cabelas copy for years...great early season or cool weather boot. When wet I tend to wear my Lacross rubber/neoprene boots...late season will wear the Bean style boots unless below 30s and then I put on my Lacrosse Ice Kings. LOL

--------------------
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Posts: 1782 | From: Charleston, South Carolina | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Skinner
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 7469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Skinner   Email Jack Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bought mine last year and wore them in the snow and cold in WY for bunny hunting. I had good grip in snow but could see in wet they might not work so well. My feet did get cold if I stopped too long, but Bean makes a wool insert I am going to try. Great boots to stalk in especially in the Sept elk and deer here in WY. Wish I knew about the speed lacing I have to get up half hour early to get them on.
Posts: 994 | From: Cheyenne, Wyoming | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChasingWhitetails
Member # 37578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChasingWhitetails   Email ChasingWhitetails   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the input guys!! I hunt flat land in NW Ohio, no rocky terrain here. I would say I'm a fair weather hunter for the most part. I like the idea of the rubber bottoms for scent control and especially waterproofing. I do cross some small creeks at times to get to my stands. I believe the Schnees and the like would be over kill. I do have a couple pair of the Cabelas outfitter boots that I use out west chasing elk so the Beans will be primarily for deer hunting here in NW Ohio. There is a Bean store in Columbus and will be down there anyway for wife's side of Christmas over the MLK holiday weekend. I may stop in there and try a pair on. After listening to you guys, sounds like the lace hooks are the way to go as well. Thanks again!!!
Posts: 24 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owlgrowler
Contributor 2015
Member # 8222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owlgrowler   Email Owlgrowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with all above. Just know the difference between Bean Boots and Maine Hunting Shoes. Bean Boots have a harder sole for walking on pavement, and cheaper leather uppers, and are probably what you'll find at their store. Maine hunting shoes have a softer sole for woods hunting and you might have to order them and wait weeks, I think they're great, I wish I had ordered the speed hooks. Keep the leather well protected, Montana Pitch blend is another great product, and the threads from leather to rubber packed full of waterproofing and you'll be able to cross streams with no problem.

--------------------
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Posts: 739 | From: NJ | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 29444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan   Email Duncan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used the 6,8, and 10 inch versions of the Bean Hunting shoe. They are very quiet and light weight. Probably the best all around hunting boot I've used. Recently I developed neurapathy in my feet and stopped using them because they are loose fitting. I put some Two Tracks wool foot beds in and then my orthotics and that solved my problem. It is tricky getting them sized and you may need to add a foot bed or wear thicker socks. Adding the wool foot beds and the orthotic takes up just enough space that it is perfectly snug the way I need them.

--------------------
Member NCBA

Posts: 585 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Whitmire Jr
Contributor 2018
Member # 13714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Whitmire Jr   Email Jack Whitmire Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are well made and bean backs anything they make .

I wouldn't try to walk 20 feet on slick or slightly steep ground in them .

They are not waterproof , almost draw water uphill.

For hunting in slightly rough terrain or worst get something else

--------------------
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any Morals- unknown author

Posts: 1143 | From: Scott Depot, WV | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
last arrow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 7746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for last arrow   Email last arrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used mine last night for a quick tour around the property with my snowshoes (6 degrees with about 18" of snow on the ground and still falling - gotta love the lake effect). They work great with the Iverson Bindings on my snowshoes.

I have been using them since the early 80's and find them very adaptable to most conditions. They are the perfect fall and spring boot here in the midwest for cool and damp conditions with temps below 60 degrees. I can wear them in winter as long as I stay active. I have used them mule deer and elk hunting and had no problems with traction in the areas I hunted. They are the perfect boot for still hunting providing protection from the elements but still allowing a measure of feel for the ground.

I personally like the tread on them because I find aggressive treads fill with mud and end up not providing traction but leaving you carrying around a couple pounds of mud. Then when you get in the treestand the mud just falls off making noise when it hits the ground.

I am surprised by the number of comments about them not being water proof. I have not had that problem. Like any leather boot, you have to treat the leather regularly with an appropriate sealer. I have found an annual application of Sno Seal keeps them water proof, allowing me to cross shallow creeks and puddles when needed, and to hunt in generally wet conditions.

They do not work well any time you are inactive in cold conditions such as for stand hunting in the cold below about 30 degrees. Also I do not use them for packing weight in steep conditions though they work fine for backpacking on gentle slopes. I have not used them in extremely rocky condition so cannot comment on how they would perform under those conditions.

--------------------
“The truth is that all men having power ought to be mistrusted.” James Madison

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities" Voltaire

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Posts: 944 | From: West Olive, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
two4hooking
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for two4hooking   Author's Homepage   Email two4hooking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love them for everything. Own 3 pair! Had one resoled.

--------------------
HILL STYLE
>>>--------->

Posts: 896 | From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©