3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Cade M. Cabrera

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » The Dwarf's New Toelke SS (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Dwarf's New Toelke SS
johnm856
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 35566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnm856   Email johnm856   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could someone explain what the HS and SS mean and the difference between the HS and SS Toelke bows? Thanks. JM
Posts: 33 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tzolk
Contributor 2015
Member # 35255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tzolk   Email tzolk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The HS "High Speed" is the designator assigned to a Whip Longbow. The "SS" is short for Super Static which is a 64" semi static limb design Recurve

--------------------
All the Best!
Todd Z

Posts: 833 | From: Sandpoint Idaho | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnm856
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 35566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnm856   Email johnm856   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
“The HS "High Speed" is the designator assigned to a Whip Longbow. The "SS" is short for Super Static which is a 64" semi static limb design Recurve”

Thank you, John

Posts: 33 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old_goat2
Contributor 2014
Member # 35569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old_goat2   Author's Homepage   Email old_goat2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautifully as usual from Dan! I'm envious!

--------------------
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Posts: 2174 | From: ArvadaCO | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ESP
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESP   Email ESP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What arrows are you shooting out of that. I can only think of three that would be long enough.
Posts: 319 | From: ohio | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShrtRnd
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 44618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShrtRnd   Email ShrtRnd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a nice blend of wood combinations, congrats!

--------------------
Robertson Stykbow Peregrine 60" #65@29"
Robertson Stykbow Prairie Falcon 62" #62@29"
Stalker Stickbow Coyote FXT 62" #53@29"

Posts: 90 | From: Ont, Canada | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tzolk
Contributor 2015
Member # 35255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tzolk   Email tzolk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

As for my Whip, it was made back in the pre Whip HS days. Dan reworked his limb design a few years ago, and it added some speed. It also made for bows that stack a little sooner at a given length.

That said, I over worked the poor limbs on my old bow, hence the retired status. It was getting white delamination spots on the limbs. I believe Dan said 31.5ish inches was what my old Whip was designed to handle. All that to say, I don't think he had a smaller riser in my bow. It was just a bow he had in inventory when we visited his shop, actually! [/QB]

Man, if that was just a 62" pre-HS design drawn to 33", you sure got the max out of that tiny bow!

BTW, love that coffee table! What kind of wood is that? Custom made?

--------------------
All the Best!
Todd Z

Posts: 833 | From: Sandpoint Idaho | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ty_in_ND
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 43206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ty_in_ND   Email ty_in_ND   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That bow is a beaut! The myrtle veneers with the black micarta riser and walnut accents is a stunning combo.

One question: is the riser cut past center?

--------------------
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Posts: 94 | From: Grand Forks, North Dakota | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the rifleman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 31319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the rifleman   Email the rifleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice!! Congrats and many happy times with it!
Posts: 568 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trumpkin the Dwarf
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 31043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trumpkin the Dwarf   Email Trumpkin the Dwarf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ESP:
What arrows are you shooting out of that. I can only think of three that would be long enough.

Easton Axis 5mm in .260 spine. Uncut they are 34".

quote:
Originally posted by tzolk:

BTW, love that coffee table! What kind of wood is that? Custom made?

Thanks! It's Walnut that my great grandfather cut down and milled himself back in the 70's. I made the table myself!

quote:
Originally posted by ty_in_ND:

One question: is the riser cut past center?

I don't believe so. Dan generally cuts 1/8" shy of center.

--------------------
Malachi C.

"Scar" (retired) Toelke Whip 62" ~70# @ 33"
Unnamed Toelke SS 64" 64# @ 33"

Posts: 1091 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ESP
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESP   Email ESP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That arrow was one of the arrows I was thinking of. How much weight do you have up front.?
Posts: 319 | From: ohio | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trumpkin the Dwarf
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 31043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trumpkin the Dwarf   Email Trumpkin the Dwarf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ESP:
That arrow was one of the arrows I was thinking of. How much weight do you have up front.?

75 grain insert and 190-200 grain points depending on broadheads or field tips (Simmons TreeSharks and a BAR ring is ~195).

--------------------
Malachi C.

"Scar" (retired) Toelke Whip 62" ~70# @ 33"
Unnamed Toelke SS 64" 64# @ 33"

Posts: 1091 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Jr
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 13169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Jr   Email Steve Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never heard of a dwarf having a 33" draw length [laughing] but that is one Beautiful looking Bow !

--------------------
Steve Jr

3 PC Pronghorn 58"-#49-@26"
Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association

Posts: 2222 | From: Griffith, Indiana | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steadman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 6498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steadman   Author's Homepage   Email steadman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a sweet looking bow! I need to get my hand on one of those. With an almost 32@ draw myself those 64” recurves are a dream to shoot [thumbsup]

--------------------
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Posts: 4853 | From: Utah | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snakebit40
Contributor 2015
Member # 25584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snakebit40   Email snakebit40   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great looking bow! I’ve been shooting a Pika and love. Dan makes amazing bows!

--------------------
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 54@28
Toelke Pika 54@28

Posts: 1930 | From: Colby, Kansas | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©