3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Shan G. Mandrayar

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Broken Antler Points

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Broken Antler Points
nek4me
Contributor 2017
Member # 44724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nek4me   Email nek4me   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Broken antlers and points are common but has anyone ever found one while hunting?

About 35 yrs ago I was still hunting along a deer trail with my Black Bear recurve about a mile from where I'm typing this in eastern MA. The trail headed for a low point in an old stone wall where a large flat rock allowed for an easy crossing. Lying in the middle of the rock was this point. There was no sign of a confrontation in the area and I remember thinking if I could only find the other seven...or five...or three..........

-

Posts: 262 | From: MA and Northeast VT | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lefty4
Contributor 2016
Member # 5571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lefty4   Email lefty4   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found one. It was embedded in the hip of a buck I killed. When butchering the deer, I noticed a healed over wound channel and followed it to a broken off antler tip. Ouch!

--------------------
I had a really good group going... until I shot the second arrow.

My best bows are the ones someone else didn't want.

"Be careful of something that's just what you want it to be." Waylon Jennings

Posts: 1278 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
South MS Bowhunter
Contributor 2010
Member # 16239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for South MS Bowhunter   Email South MS Bowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this one on a trail paralleling a pine thicket edge. Can't remember if it was disturbed as in a struggle.

- IMG_4134

--------------------
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Posts: 4066 | From: Mississippi | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trenton G.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trenton G.   Email Trenton G.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found a time once while helping track a deer. At first I thought it was just a spike shed until I realized it had no base and was clearly broken off.
Posts: 511 | From: Boyne City, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Wensel
SPONSOR
Member # 1404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Wensel   Email Barry Wensel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good friend Randy Reeves from TX found a broken piece of antler one year. If I remember right it was a droptine. A week or so later he shot a huge non-typical and the previous broken piece fit together perfectly. Think of the odds of that. bw
Posts: 1117 | From: Lineville, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kromer
Member # 44858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kromer   Email Kromer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never found a broken deer tine, but 10-12 years ago I found a smallish moose paddle that was broken off about 8" from the base. It wasn't a clean break either, the "fibers" of the antler were bent up and snapped off as if the force that broke it was from the bottom of the antler pushing up. Crazy to think about the force involved in that battle!
Posts: 84 | From: MN | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
achigan
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 39387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for achigan   Email achigan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've not found just points, but I know there a few laying around my woods this winter.  -  -

[ January 03, 2018, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Charlie Lamb ]

--------------------
PBS Associate
"The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places. Indeed my heritage is beautiful to me."

Posts: 659 | From: Terre Haute, Indiana | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bucknut
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 40674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bucknut   Email bucknut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a buddy that shot a buck last year that scored over 200" non typical on the first day of season, that had a freshly broken tine. He had pictures of the buck the day before with the tine intact. He went back the next day where he shot it and found the broken tine under a big rubbed tree not far from the kill spot.

I killed a decent WV 8 point once that had a tine tip about 1" long stuck in his forehead.

Posts: 613 | From: S. E. Ohio | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©