3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Shan G. Mandrayar

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » How snug should a nock be? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How snug should a nock be?
Krex1010
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krex1010   Email Krex1010   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently watched a vid on tuning arrows and the gentleman speaking nocked an arrow pointed the bow to the ground and lightly plucked the string (maybe pulled it back an inch or two) and the arrow cane off the string. He said that if your arrow doesn’t come off the string that easy you should lightly sand your nock to open it up because too tigh of a nock can cause flight issues......I’ve never heard this before, my nocks hold to the string much tighter than this gentleman’s.....I’m no expert and I know that I have improvements to make across the board....is this an issue that a lot of people see? Do many of you have to sand your nocks To open them up? Or is this just another instance of bad advice being spread online?

--------------------
36@27 Maddog Prairie Predator
47@27 Maddog Prairie Predator
45# Super Kodiak
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Posts: 298 | From: Pa | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LBR
SPONSOR
Member # 236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LBR   Author's Homepage   Email LBR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like a light snap. How much it can affect arrow flight will depend on lots of variable like how tight is the fit, draw weight, draw length, arrow weight, release, bow performance, etc. etc. etc. A tight snap will also add to noise at the shot.

That being said, sanding the nocks is, IMO, bad advice. Serving comes in many different sizes--the best fix is to use the correct size serving for the type nocks you are using. Sanding a nock can be inconsistent and will weaken the nock. Will it be enough to matter in either case? Back to all those variables. Is it worth the risk? Not to me.

--------------------
Champion Custom Bowstrings
Trad Gang Sponsor since March 2003--Voted In By Members
Proud Supporter of the Catch-a-Dream Foundation
www.catchadream.org

Bowstring Questions? recurves.com/faqs.html

Posts: 6143 | From: MS | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Nocking Point
SPONSOR
Member # 26001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nocking Point   Author's Homepage   Email The Nocking Point   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is not a correct answer to this question,lots of variables.If they have to snap on try to tell the Mercury or self nock users to change,it will not happen.
Terry

--------------------
The Nocking Point
Like us on Facebook
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Posts: 2731 | From: Log cabin in Osage county Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragonheart
Contributor 2018
Member # 1953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dragonheart   Author's Homepage   Email dragonheart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not bad advice, known for years. Too tight a nock fit can effect accuracy.

https://eastonarchery.com/nocks-the-vital-connection/

--------------------
Longbows & Short Shots

Posts: 4321 | From: Nacogdoches, Texas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragonheart
Contributor 2018
Member # 1953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dragonheart   Author's Homepage   Email dragonheart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you do not want to sand your arrow nock groove and you are close to the right size, reserving the bowstring with smaller diameter serving can help with fit. Too loose bigger serving material.

--------------------
Longbows & Short Shots

Posts: 4321 | From: Nacogdoches, Texas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Mecredy
SPONSOR
Member # 8133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Mecredy   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Mecredy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what works for me; I should be able to pick up the arrow with the bow, but I shouldn't be able to pick up the bow with the arrow.

(the nock shouldn't be so tight it could hold the physical weight of the bow, but it could hold the physical weight of the arrow)

--------------------
-Maddog
TGMM Family of the bow

Maddog Archery
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Posts: 2419 | From: Pahrump Nevada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer a loose nock. I nock over and hold the bow in my lap when sitting on stand or ready to shoot while standing. I've never liked snap nocks. All my arrows are self nocks.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13336 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mec lineman
2017 Contributor
Member # 29030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mec lineman   Email mec lineman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly what Mike said!

--------------------
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!" Kota Killum, Tall Tines Stickflinger ,Omega Imperial & Ten Ring strings

Posts: 710 | From: southern virginia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YosemiteSam
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YosemiteSam   Email YosemiteSam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing like a dry fire to make me err on the tighter side. Loose nocks, well, come loose.

Was less of an issue when shooting split finger. But for 3-under, it's a big issue.

--------------------
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Posts: 727 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mahantango
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mahantango   Email mahantango   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Chad said.

--------------------
We are all here because we are not all there.

Posts: 1162 | From: central Pa. | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine fall off too easy. Sux dropping them from the stand because they unfailingly hit every step on their decent

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 17307 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orion
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orion   Email Orion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with LBR and MM.
Posts: 8678 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam McMichael
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam McMichael   Email Sam McMichael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to have a nock that comes loose with a light tap, but not loose enough to just fall off without pressure. Just enough to avoid the dry fire.

--------------------
Sam

Posts: 4889 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krex1010
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krex1010   Email Krex1010   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All good stuff, I appreciate all the replies....So my takeaway is that is something to pay attention to but maybe sanding isn’t the best way to address it? I’m thinking I should learn how to replace the serving on a bowstring.

--------------------
36@27 Maddog Prairie Predator
47@27 Maddog Prairie Predator
45# Super Kodiak
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Posts: 298 | From: Pa | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TDHunter
Contributor 2016
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TDHunter   Email TDHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No right answer, I like really loose, been shooting them that way for years with no issues, but I'd never let an inexperienced archer shoot my rig.

--------------------
60" 49@28 Kanati
64"51lb @ 28 2pc A&H
62"50@28 Win&Win BlackWolf

Posts: 856 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©