3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Shan G. Mandrayar

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Ace Broadheads (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ace Broadheads
Ghostbow
Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghostbow   Email Ghostbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ace heads have been the easiest and quickest for me to sharpen. I just use an 8" file.

--------------------
B.J.D.
"Want to trade or sell all those bows you built up trying to figure this thing out... step in to my office [Smile]
Let me introduce my self...They call me, BigJim" - Big Jim Babcock

Posts: 70 | From: Eastern Shore, Maryland | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron LaClair
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron LaClair   Email Ron LaClair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using Ace heads for years, the big 200gr Super Express. I've dropped down in bow weight so now I'm using the Ace Standard....great head.

-

--------------------
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.

Posts: 5044 | From: Potterville Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toddster
2017 Contributor
Member # 1722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toddster   Email toddster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as sharpening, I have to say that Ace is the easiest to hone, just need a file, few strokes and done. The Carbon, Bob uses keeps and edge a long time.
Posts: 1309 | From: Decatur, illinois | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bow man
SPONSOR
Member # 13512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bow man   Author's Homepage   Email Bow man   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have been shooting Ace Standards with a glue in adapters on my carbons for a few years now Works great don't ever see a reason to change. And Bob and Jan Mayo are great people

--------------------
You worked to hard and paid a lot of money for that new bow. Why would you trust protecting it to anything less than Thunderbird Epoxy!!!
www.tbirdarchery.com
www.stjoeriverbows.com

Posts: 2750 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark R
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ace are my favorite broadheads.
Posts: 200 | From: il. | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaelschwister
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michaelschwister   Email michaelschwister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have been buying and performing extensive testing on cut on contact / glue on BHs for a couple decades now, then imputing the data into a decision matrix. One of the two highest consistant winners is the ACE standard in the 160 grain catagory. They just do everything well, and do it cheaply. The other is the 200 grain grizzly kodiak. 160 grizzly vs 160 ACE standard is not even close. That is what my "data" shows.

Also, I like them. They just look "right" on a wood shaft, nocked onto an osage selfbow

In specific situations where I need increased weighting of a trait such as blood trails (like hogs in Texas) I will go with a snuffer or Treeshark, but those are niche heads that come with drawbacks in other important areas (including availability). The decision matrix weighs different traits to assist in decision making. If you see me in the woods with 4 arrows, each with a different BH, well now you know.

--------------------
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 590 | From: Elkton Virginia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
two4hooking
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for two4hooking   Author's Homepage   Email two4hooking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love ace!

--------------------
HILL STYLE
>>>--------->

Posts: 896 | From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NY Yankee
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NY Yankee   Email NY Yankee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been shooting Ace Standards for 10+ years. I really like the design, ease of mounting and ease of sharpening. The convex edge is easy to sharpen compared to a concave one. Either can be done easily with a file and and Accusharp tool. I really like the fact that they make several different weights and the design does not change. They also make a 200 grain head that is very similar to a Standard. Looks like a flying shovel!
Every time I think about changing heads, I look at the Ace heads and stop thinking about the rest.

--------------------
Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Posts: 426 | From: Canandaigua, NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
indianalongbowshooter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for indianalongbowshooter   Email indianalongbowshooter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can sharpen a Ace head on a whet stone just like a knife and strop them on a piece of leather or cardboard, scary sharp.. if you can sharpen a knife then Ace are easy.

--------------------
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Posts: 2995 | From: rockville,indiana | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hunting badger
Member # 2351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunting badger   Author's Homepage   Email hunting badger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I weight all my heads and a lots of heads are not the weight they advertise, most are lighter, some by as much as 10 grains. So I would weight all your heads and added weights to get where you want to be, don't assume they are the weight they are advertised as.
Posts: 76 | From: Palmer, AK | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BAK
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BAK   Email BAK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They can't be all that good, they just don't cost enough!!!!!!!

[bigsmyl]

--------------------
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Posts: 1124 | From: NE Iowa | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark R
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure he can raise the price for you
Posts: 200 | From: il. | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©