3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Cade M. Cabrera

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Thunderchild 56 or 58 inch experience

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thunderchild 56 or 58 inch experience
TDHunter
Contributor 2016
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TDHunter   Email TDHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on the list for a Thunderchild build this year and I'm hoping some of you guys with longer draws have experience with or even better own both 56 and 58" Thunderchilds. I'm 6'3" and draw 29.5" with my other longbows. Reading as many forums and reviews as I can but I'm definitely still on the fence .

--------------------
60" 49@28 Kanati
64"51lb @ 28 2pc A&H
62"50@28 Win&Win BlackWolf

Posts: 856 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jwilliam
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 5307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jwilliam   Email Jwilliam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure Big Jim himself can steer you in the right direction.

--------------------
60" Zipper SXT 52@28"
62" Zipper Nitro 52@28"
62" Dwyer Dauntless 52@28"
60" Treadway Black Forest 52@28"
64" Treadway Black Forest 52@28"

Posts: 3332 | From: Erie, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jwilliam:
Sure Big Jim himself can steer you in the right direction.

This is the best answer.

But.. You and I have similar heights and draw lengths. I went with a 56 inch. It shoots great when I do my job right.

That being said, I think the 58" would be a good fit for myself as well. Maybe I need both?

I know that doesn't help you any, but hopefully gives some insight.

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 17299 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Nocking Point
SPONSOR
Member # 26001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nocking Point   Author's Homepage   Email The Nocking Point   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truth spoken above,the bowyer knows his creations better than anybody!
Terry
Jim is quite an artist with his bows

--------------------
The Nocking Point
Like us on Facebook
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Posts: 2729 | From: Log cabin in Osage county Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexander Traditional
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 35858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alexander Traditional   Email Alexander Traditional   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 58" takedown,and a one piece. My draw is 28" and I really like them. Jim probably could tell you best if you could get by with the 56"
Posts: 2424 | From: TX | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nineworlds9
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 37028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nineworlds9   Email nineworlds9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 56 will work just fine, if I remember correct the string angle doesn't hit 90° until 31. The 58 will work great too. You'll get some more performance out of the 56 as you'll be working the limbs more and get right into the power, with the 58 you'll have more sensation of smoothness at the back end at the expense of a tiny amount of zip vs the 56. Really shouldn't be very stark difference at all. I draw same as you and my choice in a TC is 56. My brother draws 30 and he likes 58.

--------------------
54" Java Man Helms Deep
54" Shrew CH Carbon
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
62" Cleland Stickbow

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Posts: 7157 | From: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdk25
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 12864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pdk25   Email pdk25   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I drew my 56" thunderchild around 30" and it seemed very smooth to me, but I have never shot a 58". FYI, the difference in length is all in working limb. The riser dimensions are the same from what I remember Jim saying.
Posts: 5637 | From: Ada, Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drewsbow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 3040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for drewsbow   Email drewsbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would go with 58 with a longer draw but you could get away with a 56" with 29.5 draw

--------------------
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Posts: 6283 | From: Dansville N.Y. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ARCHER2
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 11150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ARCHER2   Email ARCHER2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd go with the 58" myself. That's what mine is and I draw 29". Very smooth, no stacking.

--------------------
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 1713 | From: Bastrop, Louisiana | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TDHunter
Contributor 2016
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TDHunter   Email TDHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks , I will certainly be speaking with Big Jim about it but it's always nice to get as much info as possible and I'm sure there's lots of guys who have or who still do own both lengths .

--------------------
60" 49@28 Kanati
64"51lb @ 28 2pc A&H
62"50@28 Win&Win BlackWolf

Posts: 856 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen273
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gen273   Email Gen273   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My draw is a little shorter than yours, but I have owned both and I prefer the 56 inch. However, I always prefer shorter bows so keep that in mind.

--------------------
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Posts: 3946 | From: KY | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frenchymanny
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 8403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frenchymanny   Email Frenchymanny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me confuse more: I have a pair of 56" Thunderchilds.
For hunting, I really enjoy the short bow.

F-Manny

--------------------
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Posts: 2840 | From: Montreal, Quebec | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©