3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Donald Hoffman

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Mild R&D longbows? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mild R&D longbows?
Covey
Contributor 2012
Member # 14989

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Covey   Email Covey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are a few of the builders I could take a look at? Leaning pretty hard toward a Northem Mist Baraga, but would like to way all my options.
Thanks in advance

Posts: 1948 | From: South Central Indiana | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K2
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 13370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for K2   Email K2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wes Wallace Royal and Yellowstone Longbows by Rich Wormington are very nice mild R/D bows. Ken
Posts: 1004 | From: Aurora CO | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ari_Bonn
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 45608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ari_Bonn   Email Ari_Bonn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Older Robertsons. New ones too but they will cost you O.O
Posts: 217 | From: Canada, BC | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Jr
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 13169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Jr   Email Steve Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Northern Mist Baraga is one of my favorites. Probably the best mannered bows as well.

--------------------
Steve Jr

3 PC Pronghorn 58"-#49-@26"
Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association

Posts: 2266 | From: Griffith, Indiana | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trenton G.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trenton G.   Email Trenton G.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They aren't made anymore, but if you could find an Abbott, you might like it. I love mine.
Posts: 544 | From: Boyne City, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orion
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orion   Email Orion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to those already mentioned, Liberty Contender and Great Northern Critter Gitter.
Posts: 8712 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steelhead
Contributor 2014
Member # 9220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steelhead   Email Steelhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the ones I liked are no longer being made.
If your looking for something new thier are a few options.You allready said Baraga and the N.M Superior is slightly more mild than the Baraga I believe unstrung.A tad less reflex I believe and longer lengths

Dwyer Original longbow,Seven Lakes,Stewarts Mild R&D,Liberty Contender.Mohawk longbow and Mohawk Sparrowhawk,Cari Bow Featherhorn,Mohantango.I do not believe the GN Critter Gitter is currantly being made?But may be reintroduced possibly with the Bowyers son taking over?They had discontinued a few of thier flagship bows.But the G.N Bushbow which is available is Mild R&D and very stable and accurrate IMO.It has a wider limb though.The Critter Gitter is never a bad choice if they make it or can make you one.

J.D Berry was making the Argos a few years ago.Not sure about now?Thats the last one I had made for me.He also made a Taipan which had the forward/reverse handle.

Wes Wallace Royal is very nice but is more moderate in profle unstrung and does not string into a true D shape.The limbs flatten a bit at the ends.I had the 66" 2 PC T.D which was very nice looking and shooting.

Posts: 4924 | From: Lake Orion MI. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Red Beastmaster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Beastmaster   Email Red Beastmaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As mentioned above, Abbotts are great bows. I've been shooting them for many years. I'm on my fourth one now.

Unfortunately, Steve passed away so you will be hard pressed to find one. Used Abbotts don't come up often.

--------------------
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy. Coach John Wooden

Posts: 1757 | From: Meyersdale, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron w
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 14741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron w   Author's Homepage   Email ron w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holm-Made Osprey or Goshawk.......2 of the best. The Baraga is a good one as is the Northern Mist Superior.

--------------------
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Shunryu Suzuki

Posts: 16014 | From: tribes hill , new york | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexander Traditional
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 35858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alexander Traditional   Email Alexander Traditional   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maddog
Posts: 2440 | From: TX | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hatrick
Contributor 2018
Member # 2066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hatrick   Email Hatrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like a few others have mentioned, don't overlook the Northern Mist Superior. It shows a very mild R/D when unstrung but once you string it up it maintains a very nice "D" profile like all ASL or Hill style bows. A very well mannered and great shooting bow.

--------------------
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Posts: 1538 | From: Maryland | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Covey
Contributor 2012
Member # 14989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Covey   Email Covey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a pretty consistent 29.5 inch draw, but would like to stay with a 60 to 62 inch bow. I hunt in the ground the majority of the time so I like a little shorter bow. I have a couple Kanati’s, but I’ve been wanting to try something a little more mild.
A lot of good suggestions here, I really appreciate it!

Posts: 1948 | From: South Central Indiana | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pavan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pavan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robertson Stykbow has a number on hand on the in stock list to look at.

--------------------
Pavan

Posts: 5988 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nineworlds9
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 37028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nineworlds9   Email nineworlds9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Covey:
I have a pretty consistent 29.5 inch draw, but would like to stay with a 60 to 62 inch bow. I hunt in the ground the major of the time so I like a little shorter bow. I have a couple Kanati’s, but I’ve been wanting to try something a little more mild.
A lot of good suggestions here, I really appreciate it!

Covey, based on your parameters, I would go with the Baraga and not look back. Lots of super bows mentioned, but the Baraga is A+ and if you're already mentally headed that way, just do it. Steve's bows are top shelf.

--------------------
54" Shrew CH Carbon
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
62" Cleland Stickbow

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Posts: 7189 | From: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Longtoke
Contributor 2017
Member # 43977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Longtoke   Email Longtoke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The prairie predator is a great mild r/d bow. A lot of folks don't give be it the credit it deserves because of its price tag but it will shoot with the best of em.

--------------------
Pika t/d 54"
Prairie Predator 60"
1961 kodiak 60"

Posts: 1013 | From: Colorado | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©