3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Donald Hoffman

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » PowWow » Mild R&D longbows? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mild R&D longbows?
Orion
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orion   Email Orion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm. A 29.5-inch draw and a 60-62-inch mild rd bow is not a good match IMO. At that draw length, a 64-66-inch would be much better in a mild r/d design.

Sure, you'll be able to shoot the shorter bows, but stack and finger pinch will be noticeable. The mild r/d bows don't have as much deflex coming off the riser as hybrid longbows and just don't handle the longer draw lengths as well. Doable? Yes. Comfortable? Probably not.

Good luck in your search.

Posts: 8712 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mahantango
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mahantango   Email mahantango   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another vote for Northern Mist, and one for Dwyer.

--------------------
We are all here because we are not all there.

Posts: 1174 | From: central Pa. | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RON ROMAN
Member # 22243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RON ROMAN   Email RON ROMAN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X2 what Ari-Bonn says. Big Robertson fan. Also, any JDBerry, as mentioned. My last favorite is my Wes Wallace "Royale"; IMO, the 68" Royale is one of the smoothest drawing and quickest mild r/d bows made. Good luck in your search.
Posts: 46 | From: Leeds, North Dakota | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Covey
Contributor 2012
Member # 14989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Covey   Email Covey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Orion:
Hmmmm. A 29.5-inch draw and a 60-62-inch mild rd bow is not a good match IMO. At that draw length, a 64-66-inch would be much better in a mild r/d design.

Sure, you'll be able to shoot the shorter bows, but stack and finger pinch will be noticeable. The mild r/d bows don't have as much deflex coming off the riser as hybrid longbows and just don't handle the longer draw lengths as well. Doable? Yes. Comfortable? Probably not.

Good luck in your search.

I was going to discuss this with Steve before I decide, but I’ve pretty well settled on the Baraga...we’ll see.
Thanks for the info

Posts: 1948 | From: South Central Indiana | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanielB89
SPONSOR
Member # 37294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanielB89   Email DanielB89   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason,

I just recently acquired a toelke Pika. It's a 56" model and I draw to over 29". I am completely blown away by the smoothness of draw and the overall speed!

--------------------
Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.It is better to be of a lowly spirit with the poor than to divide the spoil with the proud. ~ Proverbs 16:18-19

Hunter's Choice Bowstrings

Black Eagle Arrow Dealer

Posts: 3076 | From: Monroe, Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steelhead
Contributor 2014
Member # 9220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steelhead   Email Steelhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot about the Toelke Super D.It was redesigned not long ago.

I think what Orion said is worth serious consideration in a true Mild R&D.

I have owned alot of Mild R&Ds.I drew about 29.5 or a bit longer when I was younger.I have tried 62 inchers and felt they were just not quite right at that draw in that design.I mostly hunted with 64 inchers and some 66".I shot 3-D with those bows as well.I dont think I would go below 64".64" was a good all around length for performance,shootability and hunting for me.

Posts: 4924 | From: Lake Orion MI. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mahantango
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mahantango   Email mahantango   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, forgot Toelke. They are one of the best.

--------------------
We are all here because we are not all there.

Posts: 1174 | From: central Pa. | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trond
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trond   Email Trond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bearpaw in Germany launches a new R/D longbow these day, called Bodnik Longbow. Henry builds great bows, so its worth a look. I am going to test-shoot this bow as soon as it shows up in my local bow-shop.

--------------------
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Posts: 351 | From: Norway | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Covey
Contributor 2012
Member # 14989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Covey   Email Covey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I really appreciate it!
Posts: 1948 | From: South Central Indiana | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RJonesRCRV
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RJonesRCRV   Email RJonesRCRV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KimSha Mattawoman II, from Tom Parsons in Maryland. I think they come in 62" and 64", maybe 60' as well. Mine is 64", and I have absolutely no complaints. At shoots, I get compliments on how quiet it is. It comes out to an almost D shape. His bows arent as well known as some others, but everyone whom I have heard that has one likes them. I think some people that have commented in this thread have of Tom's bows too.

-
 -

--------------------
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
USMC 2005-2010

Posts: 356 | From: (Southern) Maryland | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
East Fork
Member # 15284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Fork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mowhawk longbows are smooth shooters. I highly recommend them. Vince is also a great guy.
Posts: 11 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steelhead
Contributor 2014
Member # 9220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steelhead   Email Steelhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Mattawomen 11 looks nice.Alot of lams in that bow.I never had a chance to shoot one of those.If I was made of money I would have bought one of the stock Mattawomen's he had listed awhile back.He's Been building bows for a long time

I would bet those are superb!

Posts: 4924 | From: Lake Orion MI. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Rice
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2947

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Rice   Email Dave Rice   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of great bows mentioned, I've had one from a couple of the makers. I share your 29.5" draw and have had Wes Wallace build 4 Royals for me, my 5th one is being built now and will be 68" instead of 66" like my others. I hunt from the ground, and don't find a longer bow limits me, and do like the butter-smooth draw and lack of finger pinch.
Posts: 233 | From: Oregon | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acedoc
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acedoc   Email acedoc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved my falcon r/d takedown but she is not mild . Waiting to get her back from Ed Boyd.
Got good accuracy and speed to burn.

--------------------
Trinity Falcon 64 inch r/d
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Posts: 141 | From: india | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Rice
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2947

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Rice   Email Dave Rice   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, most mild r/d designs suggest something around a 64" minimum bow length for 29.5" draw. Of course, shorter bows will work, but the shorter you go with that mild design, the more likely the force/draw curve will start rising fast (stacking) and string angle will narrow (finger pinch).

For the same bow length, a more extreme design typically has a more consistent f/d curve at longer draws.

Posts: 233 | From: Oregon | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©