JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Trad Gang Highlights » HIGHLIGHTS 2014 » Three year wait to make meat.. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Three year wait to make meat..
Mr.Vic
Contributor 2009
Member # 7918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been three long years since i brought home the meat. One thing or the other, getting a homestead built and fighting bad back problems/health. This year i had everything together other than recovering from a back locking up days ago. So i picked out a spot where i could hunt from the ground with a folding chair. I found four scrapes under a hedge tree at the fields edge and wanted to be close enough to shoot anything coming to them. The only place that gave me some semi cover was a big tree ten yards away from the biggest scrape. Yesterday's sunrise found me and a sweet shooting Jack kempf recurve gifted to me years ago by my friend, an good brother Adkmountainman. Sitting an waiting and just enjoying being back in the woods... No deer showed up, but i wasn't disappointed as there were plenty of birds an a few squirrels playing around me. I went back home around 10am feeling real good about life. And ready to get back there for the evening hunt. Last night back in the chair i started to doubt the choice of my spot as it was somewhat expose and so darn close to those scrapes. In the past it's been my experience to go with the first gut feelings on anything so i pushed the doubt out of my mind and enjoyed the evening. Right at the magic hour i heard a branch break behind me an than a deer running for a short distance. I got all situated, bow in place and readied myself for action. Soon i caught a motion out of my left eye and here came food. I raised my bow and since i was sitting so low to the ground it had quite a slant. Positive thinking Vic i said to myself. Instead of going out to the scrapes he came right for me. At five yards he stopped and started to rake his antlers in the tree and scrape. When he turned broadside the arrow found it's mark and off he went. I was deflated. I couldn't believe i just shot a deer basically sitting in the open, on the ground at five yards with a recurve. I've shot plenty of deer over the 40 years an several within ten yards with a recurve, training wheels and gun, but this was the first deer for a any weapon at five yards. I returned to the house for help to find it. My wife, a friend, and my stepson who has never hunted in his life helped me look for it. My stepson found blood right off and i let him do the tracking, after 70 yards we lost blood so we backed out until this morning. Wasn't hard picking up the blood trail and followed it across a small field, across the road into another field. 100 yards later my freezer meat layed piled up. Sure feels good getting back into the swing of things.  -

--------------------
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Posts: 1349 | From: Iowa | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
limbolt
Contributor 2016
Member # 15667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for limbolt   Email limbolt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you're back and congrats on a fine buck. [clapper] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
Posts: 1239 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4dogs
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 19996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4dogs   Email 4dogs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup]

--------------------
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Posts: 2481 | From: Colorado | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Sanders
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Sanders   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Sanders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on taking a fine deer after a 3 year drought. Good that you stayed with the first mind set to stay put. It sure payed off.

Tony

Posts: 758 | From: Shady Side, MD | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SAM E. STEPHENS
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 23228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAM E. STEPHENS   Email SAM E. STEPHENS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good going sir , I've not been hunting as much myself the last few years , sure feels good getting in the woods again...

,,,,Sam,,,

--------------------
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Posts: 2727 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carcajou
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carcajou   Email Carcajou   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vic-------- he looks good on ya!!

--------------------
" Brothers of the Flaming Arrow "
" I came in from the Wilderness, a creature void of form"
" TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 4442 | From: Tug Hill, NY | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T Folts
Contributor 2017
Member # 5126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T Folts   Email T Folts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats

--------------------
US ARMY 1984-1988

Posts: 2340 | From: Fowlerville,MI | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Vic
Contributor 2009
Member # 7918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys.

--------------------
― Aldo Leopold

Posts: 1349 | From: Iowa | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
way to go and welcome back!

Congrats on a great buck!

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11890 | From: Sonora, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RIng
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 19467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RIng   Email RIng   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good job !!!
Posts: 389 | From: Petersburg N.Y. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Ed
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Ed   Email Big Ed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice, congratulations!!

--------------------
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Posts: 7020 | From: Morgantown, PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daveycrockett
Contributor 2017
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daveycrockett   Email daveycrockett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] [campfire]
Posts: 4259 | From: Lufkin, TX | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GREASEMAN
Contributor 2015
Member # 15789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GREASEMAN   Email GREASEMAN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome feeling isn't it

Congrats
Greaseman

Posts: 1392 | From: SPRINGBORO,OH 45066 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kopper1013
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kopper1013   Email Kopper1013   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great buck, congrats

--------------------
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Posts: 1211 | From: New York | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Vic
Contributor 2009
Member # 7918

Again Thank you fella's. You bet Greaseman! The last three years been a butt kicker getting a little homestead going on a tight budget and it's took it's toll. Super nice to just relax and get back to nature and have this happen on my first day back at it. I hit the woods again tonight with the camera and just kicked back, taking it all in, thinking about all the years I've spent in the woods hunting with a bow, realizing there's no better place or way to heal a mans soul. In a couple days i'll grab the bow again and try to fill a doe tag hunting with my father, who i haven't hunted with in five years. Going to be a year to remember for sure.

--------------------
― Aldo Leopold

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©