JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Trad Gang Highlights » HIGHLIGHTS 2016 » Big eight point from the ground.. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Big eight point from the ground..
oldrubline
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oldrubline   Email oldrubline   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have real low deer numbers again this year in the U.P. from the heavy winters we've had. I haven't seen much of anything despite many hours of sitting. But, this last weekend I went walking out well before dark to a ridge where I saw a rub early in October. I knew it would be good to check out later. I made my way up to the top and settled in to clump of blowdowns overlooking an old skidder trail . I watched a beautiful sunrise way out over Lake Superior. As that faded, I opened my coffee thermos to get a taste of that 'black gold'...poured a wee bit, but set the thermos down only to have it all spill!! Damn!! What kind of morning is this gonna be?!!! Suddenly, caught movement out of the corner of my eye coming up from the left. A buck for sure! He made a scrape right away. He then got up on his back legs and rubbed his head up high on the branches. Then he scurried this way and that like a hyper lab that's been in the car too long and has to pee! He went to make another scrape while broadside to me at about 20 yards away. He looked kinda hunched up as he did it with his front legs working away. I pulled back and sent the arrow which I heard hit. He zipped off to my right and down the hill. I knew it was hit good and sure enough, there was the bloody Surewood shaft douglas fir arrow covered end to end in blood!!! The beautiful bow I used was a Balsam Ridge by Brad Potila of Marquette. Pass through with single bevel 200 grain point.
He was piled up about 75 yards down the hill...both lungs collapsed.
A real beauty and all done from the ground in an area me and Brad had spring scouted

The drag out was over a mile and he was heavy as heck!

Dan
URL=http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/cotedan/media/IMG_4251_zpsc0bgpv9s.jpg.html]  -

" target="_blank">http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/cotedan/media/FullSizeRender%202_zpsddw6plyn.jpg.html]  -

Posts: 162 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kopper1013
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kopper1013   Email Kopper1013   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice congrats!! Great shooting

--------------------
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Posts: 1221 | From: New York | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRM_95
Contributor 2018
Member # 38163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CRM_95   Email CRM_95   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heck yeah!! Congrats!!
Posts: 685 | From: East TX | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SAM E. STEPHENS
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 23228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAM E. STEPHENS   Email SAM E. STEPHENS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done sir , Congrats on a fine buck....

,,,Sam,,,

--------------------
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Posts: 2772 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carcajou
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carcajou   Email Carcajou   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love them Northwoods Ridge Runners! Great accomplishment right there..

--------------------
" Brothers of the Flaming Arrow "
" I came in from the Wilderness, a creature void of form"
" TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 4461 | From: Tug Hill, NY | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aim small...release
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aim small...release   Email aim small...release   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go. Congrats from a fellow Michigander

--------------------
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Posts: 610 | From: michigan | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jayrod
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 17800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jayrod   Author's Homepage   Email Jayrod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on a nice buck!

--------------------
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Associate member/ PBS

Posts: 3254 | From: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trenton G.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trenton G.   Email Trenton G.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome buck! Congratulations!
Posts: 544 | From: Boyne City, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homey88
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 40473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Homey88   Email Homey88   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to you!
Posts: 1288 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T Folts
Contributor 2017
Member # 5126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T Folts   Email T Folts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats very nice.

--------------------
US ARMY 1984-1988

Posts: 2352 | From: Fowlerville,MI | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Arnette
Contributor 2017
Member # 18012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Arnette   Email Michael Arnette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dang he has a big body! Makes that rack look small which it isn't ...and all from the ground. Very impressive
Posts: 2584 | From: Tulsa, Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Basinboy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Basinboy   Email Basinboy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on a fine buck!

--------------------
Palmer Longbow 47#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 52@26" 58" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 46#@26" 60" amo

Posts: 1314 | From: South Louisiana | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one, Congrats!

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 17412 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warden609
Contributor 2017
Member # 9279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Warden609   Author's Homepage   Email Warden609   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice!! Congrats
Posts: 2654 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oldrubline
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oldrubline   Email oldrubline   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys for the congrats! He was a big one...I just deboned and pulled all the fat off the meat and got about 75 lbs of pure meat. I really love being on the ground and its the only way I hunt these days. I usually hike in at least a mile and have brush blinds out to 2 miles or so. Spend the year round doing the scouting and obsessing and daydreaming over those backwoods bucks! learn their preferred bedding ridges and rub lines and I never bait (would just make me bored personally...but, to each their own and certainly a very effective method!). I often stop a few hundred yards out from my spot and smoke my wool clothing over a smudge fire. Something addictive about being eye level...dang...this guy was above my eye level a few times even, because he was rearing up on his hind legs to rub his head up high in the branches!
Me and my buddy going out for a 5 day backwoods camp next week to intercept some cruising bucks...can't wait!!!

Dan

Posts: 162 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©