JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Trad Gang Highlights » HIGHLIGHTS 2016 » Unforgettable Kentucky season!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Unforgettable Kentucky season!
Westkyhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Westkyhunter   Email Westkyhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Things started out a little slow for me this fall with the warm temps and over abundance of acorns in my area. My stands were placed in the right places and I seen deer on the first two hunts however they were pretty much scattered about not having to focus on any particular tree or trees. I decided to take things to the ground and focus on a few different spots I had tucked away in my mind. These spots were ground hunting spots only with out any decent trees where I needed to be for a stand. Besides I had decided against the moving of stands and hanging new ones anyway, thinking the element of surprise and zero intrusion would be my ace in the hole. It was worth a shot!!
I won't go into detail of each hunt since I'd have to type all day to recall the amazing details but to say things worked out perfectly is an understatement. On my next four consecutive hunts I filled a tag. The first three deer were taken from the ground with my leafy suit. The last tag was from a low hung tree stand in a large pine. One other aspect that made this all so special is the fact that I harvested the first three deer with my own hand made spruce shafts I hand planed from a board. They were two fletched with turkey feathers from birds I've taken myself. And dyed with kool aid.
The first evening hunt resulted in a young button buck shot at 20yds. It was getting late and I honestly thought it was a doe.
The second evening hunt was a nice two year old doe shot at 13yds.
The third evening hunt in a new location was my buck only spot. It's a pinch point where once again can only be hunted from the ground. Another 20yd shot and I had my first buck with trad gear. He sported three points on one side and a long spike on the other.
The final hunt that tagged me out was in a stand I hung for late October and November. Nice cold front came in and I was in the stand before daylight. Took a big doe at 6yds.
I'm so grateful to have been blessed with such a special traditional season it's hard to put into words. I'm still pumped like each hunt was only yesterday! My confidence is soaring higher than ever!!
I used my Bodnik Little Stick 58" 45@28" bow. My own b55 string and homemade silencers, handmade spruce arrows tipped with Magnus classic ll 125gr 1 1/4" two blades, and the last deer Easton aviator full length tipped with 150gr snuffer 3 blade. All arrows two fletched. I have pics but have never been able to post them on this site. Even my computer smart friend had no luck posting them. If anyone is interested in posting them for me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks and good luck to those still hunting!!

Posts: 111 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trenton G.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trenton G.   Email Trenton G.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, sounds like you had a great season!

I could try and get them up for you this evening if you send me the pictures. I'll pm you my email address.

Posts: 544 | From: Boyne City, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe ashton
Contributor 2013
Member # 11463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe ashton   Email joe ashton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[clapper]

--------------------
Joe Ashton,D.C.
pronghorn long bow 54#
black widow long bow 55#
21 century long bow 55#
big horn recurve 58#

Posts: 4270 | From: colorado | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on all your success!!!!!

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11930 | From: Sonora, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trenton G.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 45397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trenton G.   Email Trenton G.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here you go.

-

-

-

-

-

-

Posts: 544 | From: Boyne City, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friend
Contributor 2018
Member # 15967

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friend   Email Friend   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fine harvest...congrats!

--------------------
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Posts: 6692 | From: Hanson, KY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warden609
Contributor 2017
Member # 9279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Warden609   Author's Homepage   Email Warden609   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
Posts: 2654 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Westkyhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Westkyhunter   Email Westkyhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Trenton G. And thanks guys its been a blast! Just in case anyone is wondering, after I shot the buck I was low on the spruce shafts so I reloaded with the carbons and snuffers. That's why they're in the pic during recovery.
Posts: 111 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KentuckyTJ
SPONSOR
Member # 12840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KentuckyTJ   Author's Homepage   Email KentuckyTJ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good stuff Brother congrats!

--------------------
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it >>>---->

Posts: 9074 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kopper1013
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kopper1013   Email Kopper1013   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats that's a great season, take animals with stiff you built your self adds that extra bit of special congrats again

--------------------
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Posts: 1221 | From: New York | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KyStickbow
2017 Contributor
Member # 23941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KyStickbow   Email KyStickbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!

--------------------
Aim small...Miss small!!

Posts: 2172 | From: Kentucky | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©