JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Prayers/Concerns/Honors/Ailments » Any rotator cuff recovered shooters? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Any rotator cuff recovered shooters?
Matabele
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matabele   Email Matabele   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to post this in the recent shoulder replacement thread, but thought I better start a new topic.

I've suffered from a rotator cuff injury for years and even had the cortisone injection in the joint (not cool). What with starting a family, and life getting in the way I havnt been able to shoot much at all and I thought the injury had healed up. Only occassionaly was my shoulder painful and usually when I had a cold or something and all the joints were achy.

Now my new custom bow has arrived finally, and the old injury has flared up again. It's making drawing the bow really painful and the shoulder just isn't giving me the strength and stability I know I should have. Super bummed at the moment!

Just wondering if anyone has had any of the invasive surgeries and if you think it's a good idea? I'm going to see a doc anyway and find out the options, I'm tired of this now.

Posts: 537 | From: Zimbabwe | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wind D Ranch
Member # 16019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wind D Ranch   Email Wind D Ranch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, I had surgery on my right shoulder back around 2004. I somehow tore the rotator cuff on both shoulders and I had the worst one fixed. I wish the doctor would fix my left shoulder but he says I should wait until it tears more. Anyway, I couldn't shoot my bow for a while after surgery but I only missed one deer season. Anyway, I have no regrets. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

--------------------
NRA Life Member.

"Magna est veritas sed rara" (Archers are all honorable men) The White Company by A. Conan Doyle

Thanks for everything, dad.

Posts: 79 | From: Northwest Missouri | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerrynocam
Member # 43690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerrynocam   Email Jerrynocam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my right shoulder repaired in 2010. I have no regrets, the surgery went good and just as important the physical therapy did too. I had the surgery in February and was shooting a 40lb bow in august. The main thing is to listen to your PT and do your exercises. It's going to be painful but if you stick to it you'll be good as new.
Posts: 12 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Bolin
Contributor 2014
Member # 401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Bolin   Email Mike Bolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get checked out by a good surgeon to find for sure what is going on with your shoulder(s). You may get positive results from physical therapy, depending on what the surgeon finds. In late April I couldn't draw a 35# bow more than a couple of times. My surgeon prescribed physical therapy, 3 times a week for 4 weeks, then 1 to 2 times weeks for up to 3 additional weeks, at the therapists discretion. After 4 weeks I was shooting a 43# bow. Within a month of being released by the therapist I was shooting 50#+ bows again. The exercises I did in therapy seemed kind of worthless to me at the first session, but I could tell a difference in my flexibility by and had less pain by the end of the first week. The exercises are simple and can be done at home.
Best of luck! Mike

--------------------
Black Widow PLIII 62", 49#@28"
Black Widow PLV 62", 50#@28"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
NRA Life Member

Posts: 3320 | From: West Terre Haute, Indiana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Bolin
Contributor 2014
Member # 401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Bolin   Email Mike Bolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should have stated that I have an impinged rotator cuff in both shoulders. I also suffered from pinched nerves in both shoulders. I still do my PT at least every other day and everyday if I don't get much activity, like when doing a lot of driving ect.

--------------------
Black Widow PLIII 62", 49#@28"
Black Widow PLV 62", 50#@28"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
NRA Life Member

Posts: 3320 | From: West Terre Haute, Indiana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott Barr
2017 Contributor
Member # 38047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scott Barr   Email Scott Barr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had shoulder surgery last February. Back to shooting 45# bows now. Now I make it a point to not shoot anything heavier. Want to get as much mileage out of both shoulders. As others said: do the PT. I also highly recommend getting a recliner (I slept in mine for two months after surgery) and get and use an ice machine to keep the pain and inflammation down.
Posts: 459 | From: San Diego, California | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
muth
Member # 19358

Icon 1 posted      Profile for muth   Email muth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had surgery 2 weeks ago. so I can't answer your question yet. by the feed back I have read the prognosis is good.
Posts: 54 | From: kentucky | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yupper, tore a rotator cuff completely off and had a bone spur. Had the surgery and was shooting in 6 months. Shoulder feels like new now.
Posts: 11247 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snag
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snag   Author's Homepage   Email snag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with on this Mike. I got referred to an outstanding PT and within a month of doing exercises I was feeling pain relief. In 2 months I was back shooting my 52# bow. Be careful with what's diagnosed. Second and third opinions are good to try before you buy.

--------------------
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Posts: 7595 | From: oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BAK
Contributor 2017
Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BAK   Email BAK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, had mine done in A February back in 2002, but was back shooting by July.

--------------------
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Posts: 1063 | From: NE Iowa | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an MRI done on my shoulder and it told the story.
Posts: 11247 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DMM
Member # 2349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DMM   Email DMM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had surgery. My rotator cuff was almost torn completely, I also ruptured my bicep tendon and due to impingement they cut a 1/2" off my collar bone. PT is terrible but you have to get through it. My surgery was two years ago, I missed a year and a half of bowhunting, bad timing on the surgery, but I was able to take a nice buck during the late season last year. I can now shoot bows daily in excess of 60 lbs.

Look into stem cell injections. A friend of mine had them and completely avoided surgery.

--------------------
"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me."
Genesis 27:3

Posts: 72 | From: Fombell, Pennsylvainia | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Workaholic1
Member # 29791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Workaholic1   Email Workaholic1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had shoulder surgery in march of 2015. Small tear to the rotator cuff and a "moderately large" bone spur. Add to that nerve impingement from years of working hunched over on aircraft. No issues with shooting or lifting weights since. I did have to take it slow for a bit after pt was done. I think my total downtime was about 3 to 4 months. Do the pt afterwards and make sure to do the exercises at home as well. Remember them so you can fall back on them as needed. If possible get that 2nd opinion or two. If you haven't yet, get an mri to take with you.

--------------------
Kansas Army National Guard 1987-1990
U.S. Army 1990-1991
U.S. Navy 1996-2014- Retired

Posts: 64 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Dearth
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 4614

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Dearth   Email Greg Dearth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a 80% tear in my right rotator cuff, that was repaired a year and a half ago. After the surgery I followed the doctors orders to a T, completed my PT and was shooting my recurve in 2 months. I started out with 35#'s and soon worked up to my 56# bow. The surgery was done in late Feb. and I was able to go on a spring bear hunt in late May. My shoulder is doing great. Have the surgery done, it will not heal on it's own. With out getting it repaired you could actually damage it to the point that it cant't be repaired.
Posts: 308 | From: Belleville,W.V. | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matabele
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matabele   Email Matabele   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies everyone! I can tell you I feel so much better knowing there is often a good outcome after the surgery, and that recoveries are pretty short too. Appreciate the encouragement from everyone [thumbsup]
Posts: 537 | From: Zimbabwe | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©