JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » HIGHLIGHTS 2017 » Kansas Whitetail (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Kansas Whitetail
digicon
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for digicon   Email digicon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

November 17.
57# Black Widow
5 yard shot, 60 yard recovery.

[ December 31, 2017, 06:03 AM: Message edited by: Rob DiStefano ]

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BDann
Contributor 2017
Member # 9875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BDann   Email BDann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on an awesome buck!!
Posts: 1192 | From: Kingwood, Texas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KSdan
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KSdan   Email KSdan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice Mike. Congrats.

Dan

--------------------
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Posts: 2847 | From: Kansas | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe ashton
Contributor 2013
Member # 11463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe ashton   Email joe ashton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5yard shot.
How cool is that!!

--------------------
Joe Ashton,D.C.
pronghorn long bow 54#
black widow long bow 55#
21 century long bow 55#
big horn recurve 58#

Posts: 4261 | From: colorado | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraigC
2017 Contributor
Member # 21562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraigC   Email CraigC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice buck
Posts: 87 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kopper1013
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 41502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kopper1013   Email Kopper1013   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow congratulations

--------------------
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Posts: 1211 | From: New York | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vintage-bears
2017 Contributor
Member # 29551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vintage-bears   Author's Homepage   Email vintage-bears   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a beauty!!!
Congratulations !

--------------------
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Posts: 2855 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Ed
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Ed   Email Big Ed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice !!

--------------------
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Posts: 7019 | From: Morgantown, PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SAM E. STEPHENS
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 23228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAM E. STEPHENS   Email SAM E. STEPHENS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Outstanding , Congrats sir.....

,,,Sam,,,,

--------------------
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Posts: 2725 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jayrod
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 17800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jayrod   Author's Homepage   Email Jayrod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great buck congrats!!

--------------------
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Associate member/ PBS

Posts: 3235 | From: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RedRidge
Contributor 2018
Member # 39216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedRidge   Email RedRidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow what a deer! [thumbsup]
Posts: 182 | From: West Texas | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom
2017 Contributor
Member # 2405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom   Email Tom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a beauty-congrats.

--------------------
If you think you can or think you can't-you're right.

Posts: 3115 | From: Grottoes,Virginia, Shenandoah Valley | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lunatic11
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lunatic11   Email lunatic11   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on a great buck !
Posts: 459 | From: Nacogdoches,TX | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ermont
2017 Contributor
Member # 25655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ermont   Email ermont   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome buck. Congratulations.
Posts: 1734 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digicon
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for digicon   Email digicon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys,

Quick story of how it unfolded, kind of interesting. We had pictures of this deer for one night in August. I didn't even remember seeing him but he came in with several bucks that night.

He clearly had a sticker on his right antler.

-

Fast forward to mid November I was sitting in what we call the killin tree (Ive hunted from this tree for 25 years). We have taken a lot of bucks from this tree. It sits directly in the middle of a section of ground on a brushy bottleneck that links two pieces of heavy cover. It's only 15 yards wide and 100 yards long. The bucks used to walk right down the center of it but in the last 10 years or so they tend to walk down the side of it secure in tall grass. that is until this buck. More on that later.

-

Killin Tree.

On November 14th he came down the tree row with a doe. The wind wasn't very good and they winded me somewhat. They didn't know where I was so they buried their noses directly under the tree and just stood there. I had no shot at him only the doe. They stood there for 10 minutes! Directly under my feet (which are only 12 feet off the ground.) I remember thinking.....something has to give, I can't stand here motionless any longer. Then I felt/heard her go through the fence directly under me and he followed, jumping the fence into the thick brush behind me. I had only one small hole and tried to fish an arrow through it into his vitals but hit a branch and it was a clean miss. He was 3 yards.

-

This was the hole I tried to shoot through.

They both blew out of there and I thought I would never see them again. However, I don't think they knew what had just happened. They ran straight out in front of me through the tall grass to what we call the goldfish pond, stopping periodically and looking back.

-

View from my stand looking directly over at the goldfish pond.

I couldn't hunt that night but the next morning found me back in the Killin Tree and they were still at the goldfish pond. I watched him all morning run every buck in the country off of her. He must have ran 9 or 10 bucks off that morning. None of them would try him.

I slipped out, ate lunch and was back in the stand by 2:00pm. He was gone. He had slipped out while I was eating lunch and had made his way around the property about 300 yards behind me. I know this because I have a picture of him with his doe (with the kicker still on his G2) at 4:34 that afternnon. (the time stamp is off one hour).

-

Cool Picture, huh? His doe is in the left side of the picture.

If you look closely you can see some cedar tree directly between him and her. That is where I heard the loudest clash of antlers I have ever heard. He got into a fight down by those cedar trees, with a big 8 point about 20 minutes after this photo was taken. Those trees are 200 or so yards behind the killin tree where I was sitting and I remember it made me flinch when they first clashed. I remember thinking....That has to be someone rattling but it wasn't, because shortly after (15 second fight) the 8 was walking off defeated. This is also where/when he broke his sticker!

-

Here you can clearly see the sticker.

I didn't see him at all Thursday.

Friday morning at 10:00am he came walking by...no not out in the open tall grass but directly behind the Killin Tree in the Thick stuff again. This time I was able to stand up, turn around and pick an opening to stop him in. He was 5 yards or so when I shot him. He ran about 60 yards.

Next year, I'll clean some shooting lanes behind me but right now I'm going to go look for that tine!

-

-

[ December 31, 2017, 06:04 AM: Message edited by: Rob DiStefano ]

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©