Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Knapper's Stump » Not sure why we didn't do this..... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Not sure why we didn't do this.....
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YEARS AGO...

Probably just too busy......

Anyhow....have fun.

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 30758 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matty
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 10632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matty   Email Matty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome. Love stone points!! Hoping to see some cool stuff guys!!
Posts: 4138 | From: Fort Collins,Colorado | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RJonesRCRV
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RJonesRCRV   Email RJonesRCRV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so happens, Im trying to get started with knapping. How 'bout that.

--------------------
Samick Sage 50#
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
USMC 2005-2010

Posts: 336 | From: (Southern) Maryland | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4dogs
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 19996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4dogs   Email 4dogs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] [clapper] This should be good!

--------------------
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Posts: 2441 | From: Colorado | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
outbackbob48
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for outbackbob48   Email outbackbob48   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great, not to many knapping sites, this is my 10 yr with the knapping addiction, Bob
Posts: 113 | From: Waterford, Pa. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of good knappers out there and lots of folks wanting to learn. This is a great idea, Terry.
Bob, I guess I'll see you in a few days. Safe travels.

--------------------
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13166 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Stewart
Contributor 2015
Member # 12017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Stewart   Email Jon Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OUTSTANDING, and thanks
Posts: 2909 | From: Norton Shores, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RJonesRCRV
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 44167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RJonesRCRV   Email RJonesRCRV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat B, I used the smallest preform today to try to figure out getting a flake across the piece. Im getting there, but I put too much into one stroke and broke off a good size chunk of a back corner. Getting started from a 90° platform is tricky. I feel like a copper flaker would work better than my antler, so I will look for a copper rod tomorrow perhaps. And glue up a good leather pad so my fingers dont get so cramped. Only got cut once!

It isnt great, but I think it would do the job on an animal.

-

--------------------
Samick Sage 50#
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
USMC 2005-2010

Posts: 336 | From: (Southern) Maryland | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hitman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 17631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hitman   Email hitman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love to see this site get rolling. I watched a gentleman at the Kentucky Tradfest, did not catch his name but he broke a rock and knapped out a beautiful arrowhead in no time. That was really fascinating !

--------------------
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Posts: 1601 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat B   Email Pat B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robert, I don't knap myself but you might try getting smaller chips and going around the point a few times instead of all at once. A smaller point on your pressure flaker can help too.
If you know any knappers or when a knap-in happens, watching someone else work can teach you a lot. Most knappers I know are more than generous with their knowledge and help.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 13166 | From: Brevard, NC. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NW Jamie
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18954

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NW Jamie   Email NW Jamie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This will be a topic that I check everyday. I am amazed by this craft, thanks.

--------------------
Regard’s,
Jim

Posts: 229 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Stewart
Member # 39643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William Stewart   Email William Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just started a few months ago myself. Used some chert from my land in central Missouri. Watched lots and lots of youtube videos on the how to but have yet to complete even one tip. Close but not quite. Heading to MoJam in July in Marshall Mo in hopes of finding someone there that knows their stuff to help me to complete at least one arrowhead. That's my goal to use an arrow I made to take a deer this fall with my hickory self bow.
Posts: 18 | From: Blue Springs Missouri | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 477

Every flintknapper I know will show you what you need to know while they are knapping so find a knapper and ask.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tony Van Dort
CONTRIBUTOR 2018 - Mod
Member # 137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Van Dort   Email Tony Van Dort   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is a cool thread!
[campfire]

Posts: 2286 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
outbackbob48
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for outbackbob48   Email outbackbob48   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As soon as we get a direct picture site this part of the forum will become very popular, Still knapping Bob
Posts: 113 | From: Waterford, Pa. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©