Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Dark Continent » Harvesting African animals? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Harvesting African animals?
hunt it
Contributor 2015
Member # 1867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunt it   Author's Homepage   Email hunt it   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You would be lucky to even find a wet spot on the ground after African game is shot. Even elephant, 24hrs later not even a fly on ground. Locals eat most anything except cats, bushpigs,baboons and the varmints,jackals and hyenas. I've eaten elephant, hippo, buffalo nuts you name it and all the African game is great eating. Hard to beat a good Eland backstrap or a warthog roasted on the pit. Lite, Africa is a wonderful place, take your wife and enjoy!

--------------------
hunt it

Posts: 3710 | From: london,ontario,canada | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liteandsirens
Member # 9354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liteandsirens   Email liteandsirens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow.... reading this after 8 years. lol. I was such an inquisitive young man. Got surprised with a divorce that year. Never saw the dark continent. Back in the woods with my same long bow, this time with my best friend. The baby in my pics. Hes 9 now. life is good. [Smile]
Posts: 71 | From: central florida | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benny Nganabbarru   Email Benny Nganabbarru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day mate, glad to hear you're in the woods with your young bloke and your longbow! Hope you can keep the African dream alive! It's a wonderful place, and I hope you can find a way to go.

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Posts: 6048 | From: Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J-dog
2017 Contributor
Member # 6871

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J-dog   Email J-dog   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah nothing goes to waste - ill second zebra tenderloin as being some of the best meat I have ever eaten. I have had giraffe biltong too, very good.

If you go on a hunt there you will probably be fed the more choice parts (tenderloins) of what you or hunters in your party kill. The rest is divvied up to the farm workers or nearby villages. An elephant seems like such a majestic thing to hunt and kill, but then to see 2 or three villages smiling so big when they come to harvest the meat and the lengths that animal will feed the area and the harvest fee will go into programs for the villages. Hunting is really a good thing there.

Also I was raised to eat what you kill, but as I got older I realized how much bologna that really is. Hunt and trap things all the time I have no intention of eating, coyote for example, rats, muskrats, otter. But their hides go to use; I just ain't eatin them.!! Yuk!

Cheers and short blood trails

--------------------
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Posts: 2050 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruinman
Contributor 2017
Member # 36891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruinman   Email bruinman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray, if you are doing the cooking that coyote would no doubt be great!
Posts: 1168 | From: SC | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobaru
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobaru   Email Bobaru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Nothing goes to waste, like they say. But, I'm similar. I was raised that you take it home, package it up, and eat it during the winter. So, I am still a little "bummed" that I could not bring any meat home with me - this was a different experience for me.

I think the real issue is not whether or not the meat is wasted but whether the predation of a species is such that the species is sustainable. The system in South Africa, and a couple other countries today has allowed for the planes game to be not just "sustainable" but to augment in numbers. This is a good thing, in my estimation. In countries like Kenya, where hunting has been outlawed, the various game species have been steadily decreasing in numbers - mostly because these animals have no value to the local people....

Posts: 402 | From: Canandaigua, New York | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BUFF
Contributor 2012
Member # 6577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUFF   Author's Homepage   Email BUFF   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I killed a Elephant.
We went back the next day and there was nothing left but the grass that had been in the belly.
Everything was gone, not so much as a toe nail remained

Posts: 1103 | From: HALLSVILLE TEXAS | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GANDGOLF
Contributor 2015
Member # 18655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GANDGOLF   Author's Homepage   Email GANDGOLF   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Killed a Jackal in June in Nabibmia. The P.H. was Estactic!! 32 yds. Missed him 1st. time. He said shoot!! I sliced Him Bad along the shoulders. wasn't a take down shot but the P.H. laughed his Ass off!! Said No Matter, If the other Jackals don't eat him the infection will kill him. Told me it was the Best Shot he'd ever seen!!

--------------------
3 pc. Morrison Shawnee 60" 51#
3 pc. Shafer Silvertip 62" 48#
1 pc. Sandy Biles Super Xt 47#
3 pc. A&H ACS 62" 48#
3 pc. Das Dalaa 60" 48#

For GOD so Loved the world. He GAVE His Only Son...John 3:16.

Posts: 861 | From: DENTON TEXAS | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©