Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Dark Continent » Africa...it does not have to be expensive! (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Africa...it does not have to be expensive!
Ian johnson
Cadet Member
Member # 11656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian johnson   Email Ian johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got invited to go bowhunting with guys who are locals and hunt the Limpopo regoin, I'm going there next summer for my senior trip, the only things I have to pay for are flights and trophy fees, and when I come home, I'm getting skull mounts, accept for the gemsbok, gonna save up later on and have him mounted

--------------------
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Posts: 2017 | From: Ponchatoula LA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wenselkid
Member # 9385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wenselkid   Email wenselkid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skull mounts are the way to go if you are hunting on a budget. I just got back from Visser's and had to really reduce the number of animals that I had planned on taking due to some financial situations arising before I left. There are plenty of excellent (and challenging) animals that can be taken at reasonable prices. I opted to ship only the skulls and horns back to the States and plan to mount them European. If you change your mind in the future you can always purchase a hide for taxidermy purposes.
I should say that the trip is definately worth the money spent. It can be done on a restricted budget, but you just have to stay firm on what you want to spend your money on. The flight and the hunt itself are the most expensive. Trophy expenses are determined by you. Work hard, save a little each month, and you will be sitting in a blind in no time. Best of Luck.

Posts: 35 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mid-Night-Sun
Member # 12420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mid-Night-Sun   Email Mid-Night-Sun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is amazing how much you can save if you make a few sacrifices. I have been saving for 3 years to go to Namibia this August. The biggest part of the savings came from cancelling my cell phone and believe it or not, quitting smoking!!!!!
I had tried quitting smoking for years. The thought of hunting Africa made me quit.

--------------------
May all your blood trails be short!

Posts: 10 | From: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Hansen
Contributor 2010
Member # 19254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Hansen   Email Jason Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon and Joseph, you've inspired me in many ways from reading your posts. Your comments are so true...thanks for the inspiration and eye opener!

--------------------
“That land is a community is the basic concept of ecology, but that land is to be loved and respected is an extension of ethics.”
― Aldo Leopold

Posts: 329 | From: Howell, Michigan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph
Contributor 2007
Member # 2732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph   Email Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are welcome. There will be setbacks as you save but if you come up with a plan and stick to it you can get there.

--------------------
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Posts: 1883 | From: Helena, Mt | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Hansen
Contributor 2010
Member # 19254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Hansen   Email Jason Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joseph:
You are welcome. There will be setbacks as you save but if you come up with a plan and stick to it you can get there.

It's all in what you want and where your priorities are just like what was stated. I would love to go to Africa, but my true desire is to get to Alaska. I've always wanted to hunt there for Dall sheep since I was young. If I do things right, I can acheive my dream of hunting both though!

--------------------
“That land is a community is the basic concept of ecology, but that land is to be loved and respected is an extension of ethics.”
― Aldo Leopold

Posts: 329 | From: Howell, Michigan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jonsimoneau
Contributor 2016
Member # 1224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jonsimoneau   Email jonsimoneau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, just do it. You will never regret going on trips
Posts: 3095 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ozy clint
Contributor 2012
Member # 15776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ozy clint   Email ozy clint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've come to canada for a hunting experience of a lifetime. but not being able to find a job anywhere has thrown that out the window. at the end of the day you still need the money to do it. when you've run out of money and now living off the house deposit savings i've worked hard to put away, it's hard to justify having any leisure time. it's hard to see something you've worked hard for slip away because of something you have no control over. such is life. [banghead] vented

--------------------
The mountains song
is not heard by all
But the lure is strong
who hear it's call.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Posts: 2276 | From: in the hills south of Stanthorpe, Qld, Australia | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph
Contributor 2007
Member # 2732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph   Email Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel for you mate. You had a good plan but unfortunately the rest of the world didn't want to cooperate. The thing to do is know when to cut your losses, the plan may have slipped away for now but it doesn't have to be for forever.

--------------------
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Posts: 1883 | From: Helena, Mt | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ozy clint
Contributor 2012
Member # 15776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ozy clint   Email ozy clint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah i've got a job in the spring as a bear guide, so i just need to hold out till then. then comes the fun.... i hope!

--------------------
The mountains song
is not heard by all
But the lure is strong
who hear it's call.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Posts: 2276 | From: in the hills south of Stanthorpe, Qld, Australia | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph
Contributor 2007
Member # 2732

I hope things work out for you [thumbsup] Joseph

--------------------

Bow n' errors
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bow n' errors   Email Bow n' errors   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I opened a special savings account about six months ago after deciding that we wanted to do this in our lifetimes. We're hoping to build up funds for a 2012 safari and we're on track to make it happen. Jon is right, create a realistic plan and work to make it happen. I wish I didn't have to wait that long, but it's what's realistic for us.
In the meantime, I love reading the threads of others and pondering the who, what, where and when. Thanks to Jon and all of those who take the time to post their stories and pics, you're an inspiration.

--------------------
Curt

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Posts: 143 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jonsimoneau
Contributor 2016
Member # 1224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jonsimoneau   Email jonsimoneau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curt, you've got the right idea man! It took me 7 years to save up for my first trip. Surprisingly, I went back the following year, and it hurt financially, but was worth every penny! I'm hoping to get back next year. Save the money, and stay as long as you can. 10 days of hunting is great, but 14 is even better. I'm just a union laborer. I make decent money, but it's just average at best. It's all about priorities. I'll tell you this...everyone you talk to will want to hear about it whether they are hunters or not. Everyone loves to hear about African adventures. Good stuff.
Posts: 3095 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Email chrisg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curt have to say Jon is perfectly correct, the airfare may seem steep but once you are here the longer you stay the cheaper the flight will be $/day. I grew up travelling lots then with life kids and work trips became harder and harder to do until I made a decision. I found myself in Botswana & Namibia twice river rafting and on wildlife safaris, also Cape Town and even to Canada twice in the space of three years. All with my kids. Not hunting though! I worked harder than ever and got the rewards cause I was working for a goal.
Good luck and read plenty! I have my eyes on a book called 'The Hunting Blackbeards of Botswana'- Three generations of professional hunters. Editor is Brian Marsh, one of the last of the old PH hunters from East Africa, Rhodesia and Bots. It's a Rowland Ward book, you might get it on order.
chrisg

Posts: 310 | From: south africa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bert Frelink
Contributor 2013
Member # 8123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bert Frelink   Email Bert Frelink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truer words were never spoken, all you guys are right. I worked hard all my life, ever since I started hunting 35 years ago my goal was to get to AK, on my 50th birthday I went, I didn't quite have all the money but had the house paid for so I took out a small mortgage that I paid off after the fact.
Never regretted it for one second as a matter of fact I have saved almost enough money to do it again. [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
If you really want to go, there is a way to do it.
Thank you all for the extra inspiration.
Bert.

Posts: 847 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©