Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Dark Continent » African Lion with BW recurve (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   
Author Topic: African Lion with BW recurve
elktalker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 19688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elktalker   Email elktalker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, that story really took me there thanks. And WOW thats a big cat.

--------------------
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Posts: 204 | From: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Hammond
SPONSOR
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Hammond   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buff,

Its always more complicated than we try to make it, but hunters only have themselves to blame for this being one of the last lions taken with a bow in SA anyway.

When you start down that slippery slope of holding hunts inside fenced enclosures, you are on your way to giving "greenies" all the ammunition they need to sway the 80% of those folks out there who aren't hunters and don't MIND hunters, as long as they do it fair chase.

There were some pretty awful stories coming out of SA regarding lions. There was even a video with a fence clearly in the back of the picture and the lion charged and was killed in the nick of time by rifle shooters, just after it knocked one hunter to the ground- but the fence was right there, keeping the lion from doing anyhting but charging.

Again, there's obviously more to it than that- nothing is ever as simple as we want to make it- but if you talk to some sources you will find I am not too far off the mark.

The vast majority of operators in SA? No, they're not bad people, but they didn't police their own ranks well enough and the worst of the worst brought this down upon their own heads.

If people have the guts to do it, I feel certain they can go to other places and free range hunt lions- they just won't be able to do it in SA.

--------------------
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 8812 | From: Buford GA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benny Nganabbarru   Email Benny Nganabbarru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just don't know. How would we respond / feel if this was a moose, elk, or red deer on 5000 acres fenced-in? In some places of the world, 5000 acres is huge, and in other parts it is small. Had these lions been there for countless generations, or had they or their parents been purchased for hunting? Perhaps I've ruined the golden silence, but for want of answers to nagging questions I have chosen to express my uncomfortable concern.

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Posts: 6048 | From: Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nurayb
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurayb   Email nurayb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. Anything canned is not hunting!
Posts: 239 | From: Western Wyoming | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Maher
Contributor 2017
Member # 5543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Maher   Email Ben Maher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Had these lions been there for countless generations, or had they or their parents been purchased for hunting? Perhaps I've ruined the golden silence, but for want of answers to nagging questions I have chosen to express my uncomfortable concern.

Nicely put Ben . i too, have the same concerns.

Ben

--------------------
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Posts: 2667 | From: australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FerretWYO
Admin
Member # 13052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FerretWYO   Email FerretWYO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take it that these fences do keep lions from roaming. In that case....... I have to agree with Ben.

--------------------
TGMM Family of The Bow

Posts: 6401 | From: Cheyenne Wy | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BUFF
Contributor 2012
Member # 6577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUFF   Author's Homepage   Email BUFF   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FerretWYO:
I take it that these fences do keep lions from roaming. In that case....... I have to agree with Ben.

Wow I meant to write a disclaimer at the first of my post stating, If you were uncomfortable with hunting under a high fence Please read no further.

In the 3 years it took me to put this together I contacted pretty much every goverment where there was a huntable population of Lion. getting a permit to hunt them with a recuve was not do able. Sorry if I offended anyone.

PS that is hard to take from someone who has a barn yard animal for their Avatar

Posts: 1103 | From: HALLSVILLE TEXAS | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Maher
Contributor 2017
Member # 5543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Maher   Email Ben Maher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buff ,
as a side note
if by "barnyard animals" , you are referring to Ben's avatar with the donkey in frame ... these animals are truly wild animals [ declared as pests for the massive ecological damage they do every year ] living in some of the most remote places on earth .
they breed , live and die in the wild with rarely a fence to be seen .

i was not offended by your post but remain concerned with the future of hunting in Africa / South Africa due to some dubious and well documented hunting practices . this was in no way meant to be a reflection on your post or even meant to suggest any inclination otherwise .
" Fences " as a term just always triggers alarm bells with me as I'm sure it does with many others .

Best to you

Ben Maher

--------------------
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Posts: 2667 | From: australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Benny Nganabbarru   Email Benny Nganabbarru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marty, if you could put my concerns to rest with answers, I would gratefully breathe a sigh of relief, enjoy learning something new, and congratulate you on an achievement.

Now, as for disclaimers, you really can't expect to post things in public and then have people go, "Ooh, okay, I better not read that because I might not like it." I mean, what if somebody wrote, "Disclaimer: Don't continue reading if you don't like shooting tethered animals!" Or, "Don't continue reading if you don't like reading about gutshots and non-recovery!" These are just examples of scenarios which would evoke strong responses, and disclaimers just don't cut it.

Your lion hunt doesn't offend me at all. I simply have questions about it, and would love to have my concerns allayed. Now, as for your last comment, yes, that did offend me. [goldtooth] But it is understandable for two reasons: You don't know much about feral donkeys, just like I don't know much about your lion situation, although I'd like to learn; and, often when we are questioned we are given to such responses, and it is hard to resist.

For what it's worth, donkeys are a problem animal, and are as much a "barnyard" animal as the feral pigs you guys have in the USA; and, pigs are much easier to bowhunt. So, you and I both hunt "barnyard" animals, and we know that easy they are not. The one in the avatar was my very first tradbow kill. [archer]

I do enjoy your hunts and respect your ability, but I simply have questions about this one.

Best regards,

Ben

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Posts: 6048 | From: Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BUFF
Contributor 2012
Member # 6577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUFF   Author's Homepage   Email BUFF   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ben sorry for the tackey post, please forgive me. I have been awake for 30 or so hours. The Lion was not tied druged or in a little pin. it chose to stay in the 10ac thicket but had it wanted to it could have run several miles but you are correct in that eventually a fence would have stoped it from leaving the property.

In a way I'm paying for the sins of my brothers. I had hoped that due to being in Africa for work half the year, I might have a chance to kill the big 5 with a trad bow. My problem has been and continues to be that in the past so many folks have came to Africa with under poundage bows and shot so poorly that getting a permit is next to impossible. For now I have hopes of maybe getting a permit for Elephant in Zimbabwe but I have little or no hope for a permit for leopard with trad gear. If I chose to go with a compound it is still doable but that is not my dream. If I had my choice I would have much rather hunted a free range Lion in another country. I have the time and the finances and have worked hard to be able to shoot heavy the equipment needed but no one will allow it.

Just for the record, I hunted Donkeys in Australia last year and did not get one. I was just being an ass. I have another hunt booked for Australia in june of this year
Buff

Posts: 1103 | From: HALLSVILLE TEXAS | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BUFF
Contributor 2012
Member # 6577

sorry double post [knothead]
Ben Maher
Contributor 2017
Member # 5543

Buff...on your return to Oz are hunting "Buff" ? lol...
Ben

--------------------
J.R.R TOLKIEN

FerretWYO
Admin
Member # 13052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FerretWYO   Email FerretWYO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BUFF:
quote:

Wow I meant to write a disclaimer at the first of my post stating, If you were uncomfortable with hunting under a high fence Please read no further.

In the 3 years it took me to put this together I contacted pretty much every goverment where there was a huntable population of Lion. getting a permit to hunt them with a recuve was not do able. Sorry if I offended anyone.

PS that is hard to take from someone who has a barn yard animal for their Avatar

I would be the first to say that I know nothing about hunting lions in Africa. I did not intend to offend you Marty I appolagize for doing that. I know that you would have a hard time building a fence to stop a mountian lion and it was to that which I was refering my original question. I know that you worked hard for this animal and that you completed this hunt by the best means that you could and were aloud. I was merely wondering a few of the same things that others were and hoping to learn a little. I respect your accomplishments and talent. I always enjoy your hunts Marty.

I appolagize for any wrong doing.

--------------------
TGMM Family of The Bow

Posts: 6401 | From: Cheyenne Wy | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benny Nganabbarru   Email Benny Nganabbarru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No worries, mate.

All the best on your next trip over this way! I'm sure you're probably scheming to nail a water buffalo, and I'm sure you'll nail one.

Cheers,

Ben

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

BUFF
Contributor 2012
Member # 6577

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BUFF:
quote:

I would be the first to say that I know nothing about hunting lions in Africa. I did not intend to offend you Marty I appolagize for doing that. I know that you would have a hard time building a fence to stop a mountian lion and it was to that which I was refering my original question. I know that you worked hard for this animal and that you completed this hunt by the best means that you could. I was merely wondering a few of the same things that others were and hoping to learn a little.

I appolagize for any wrong doing.

you did nothing wrong the rudness was all mine [Roll Eyes]
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©