Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Dark Continent » African Lion with BW recurve (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   
Author Topic: African Lion with BW recurve
BUFF
Contributor 2012
Member # 6577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUFF   Author's Homepage   Email BUFF   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kleinig:
No worries, mate.

All the best on your next trip over this way! I'm sure you're probably scheming to nail a water buffalo, and I'm sure you'll nail one.

Cheers,

Ben

yes maybe 2 [Razz] it looks like Austrilia may be my next base of operations. should be spending alot of time in Mackay over the next couple of years. chasing donkeys, milk goats and camels doesn't sound that exciting but I'm sure I will be hard after them.
Posts: 1103 | From: HALLSVILLE TEXAS | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Email chrisg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an interesting thread and perfectly illustrates the problems ethical hunters have dealing with the fallout of the unethical actions of the few. I have posted before on 'hunting' lion in SA. Now the chickens have come home to roost. So a lion hunt in SA is going to be high fence, the bigger the area the better. Buff, you are indeed a very good shot and we have seen your vids of other hunts. From what you have written it is clear you are following a dream and trying to do it right. 5000 acres is not huge but in that part of the kalahari depending on the thickness of the bush (it varies) 5000 acres can be enough, more is far better. The lions you mention sound to me like they are familiar with humans. That many in such a 'small' area and the willingness of the lion to stalk and follow you make me wonder. So right about rangers shooting them on sight, lions were and perhaps still are regarded as problem animals, livestock farmers hate them.
chrisg

Posts: 310 | From: south africa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marlon
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marlon   Email marlon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buff that's a Beaty liones great job! Cheers Marlon

--------------------
marlon torres

Posts: 420 | From: las vegas nv | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marlon
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marlon   Email marlon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buff that's a Beaty liones great job! Cheers Marlon

--------------------
marlon torres

Posts: 420 | From: las vegas nv | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Featherbuster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Featherbuster   Email Featherbuster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great story.

--------------------
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Posts: 662 | From: Starkville, MS | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Fishell
Contributor 2007
Member # 10380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Fishell   Email Tim Fishell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is awesome!! Congrats on a huge accomplishment and thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the story very much and hope one day I get to see the wilds of Africa! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 4788 | From: Holland Michigan | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tradtusker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tradtusker   Email tradtusker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
truth of the matter is people like Marty are paying for the survival of our African Wildlife. Period!

as for the Ethical side thats up to YOU, i know you guys don't mean to push your ethics onto Marty, but make sure you have an informed opinion before making a harmful statement.

It was not brought on by our selves as hunters, many here are just misinformed if i had more time i would love to explain and give you facts from the ground, and you would come away with a real understanding of thats actually happening out there.
but right now i have a wedding to get to

maybe at a latter point we can discuss it in a different thread without getting off topic here

Marty Congrats on a Beautiful Cat!

--------------------
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Posts: 4140 | From: African in Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fentiger
Member # 22080

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fentiger   Email fentiger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, buff.
Buff thank you for allowing me to live vicariously through your hunts. Ps have heart set on buff hunt in OZ early 2011. Loved OZ on my first untrad [recurve only missing wheels] hunt and Paul Rae at Upindi rules!

Posts: 30 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Hammond
SPONSOR
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Hammond   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andy, you may want to get into this on another thread, but you've stated that those who think this was brought on by hunters are mistaken, then you'll have to deal with that here.

I know PH'S in Africa...I have known them for years....as I stated in my post, it's always more complicated than we want to make it, but you can't tell me that hunters didn't have a lot to do with what happened- the hunters PAID to hunt in ways that were perverted and those hunts didn't play well in front of the non hunting public-

or are you saying all of this was George Bush's fault?

It takes two to tango- operators don't offer perverted hunts very long if no one buys them.

And no, I'm not saying Marty's hunt specifically was perverted- but there's tons of irrefutable evidence out there to corroborate what I'm saying- put that together with politically active animal rights activists with lots of money and politicians who know which way the wind is blowing, and you have a recipe where 10% or less of the world's population (hunters) are going to be painted with a broad brush to look bad because of the actions of a few ne'er do wells and we came out the losers- no surprise, and no way to blame others but ourselves.

If we don't police ourselves, someone is going to do it for us.

--------------------
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 8812 | From: Buford GA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxAg
Contributor 2015
Member # 17471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxAg   Email TxAg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More power to you. I already read this thread on another site and had to read it again. Sounds like a fun hunt, and that's what it's all about...having fun!

If I had the skills and bills, I'd be doing the same thing. One day [Wink]

Posts: 3642 | From: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BUFF
Contributor 2012
Member # 6577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUFF   Author's Homepage   Email BUFF   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the things I have learned, trying to get permits for bowhunting in Africa is that you have to be very carefull what you are buying, I had several operators offer me hunts only to find out they would be getting a permit to hunt with a gun. Their stand was "once we get the permit, you can kill the lion any way you want, who will know"
I would be layingt if I said that I was not tempted but I really hate the ideal of spending a few years in an African prison

Posts: 1103 | From: HALLSVILLE TEXAS | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BUFF
Contributor 2012
Member # 6577

quote:
Originally posted by chrisg:
This is an interesting thread and perfectly illustrates the problems ethical hunters have dealing with the fallout of the unethical actions of the few. I have posted before on 'hunting' lion in SA. Now the chickens have come home to roost. So a lion hunt in SA is going to be high fence, the bigger the area the better. Buff, you are indeed a very good shot and we have seen your vids of other hunts. From what you have written it is clear you are following a dream and trying to do it right. 5000 acres is not huge but in that part of the kalahari depending on the thickness of the bush (it varies) 5000 acres can be enough, more is far better. The lions you mention sound to me like they are familiar with humans. That many in such a 'small' area and the willingness of the lion to stalk and follow you make me wonder. So right about rangers shooting them on sight, lions were and perhaps still are regarded as problem animals, livestock farmers hate them.
chrisg

I stewed for a long time whether or not to even post the story. As it left me wide open for the bashers out there in forum land. Poor shooting, High fence, but it was what it was. If that makes any since. I really wish I could have hunted in Kenya or Angola for free range Lion. Spent alot of time begging for a permit but couldn't get it done legally. I wish I had made a better first shot. 1" --- just 1" higher and it would have been in the heart.
I put the little disclaimer on there not expecting anyone to stop reading but to make sure everyone understood that I was not trying to make this into anything more than it was.
All that said it was a hoot and I wouldn't take anything for the memory I have of it
I will most likely keep the video to myself and my close friends. The world is a small place and with whats going on in Germany and Australia I would hate for folks to us it against bow hunting, that it took me 3 arrows to bring her down.

TradBowyer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TradBowyer   Author's Homepage   Email TradBowyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have respect for you just because you did your thing regardless of what others would think of you and your choice. I think a lot more people would have a lot more fun shooting/hunting if they would just not care what someone on a webboard (whom they have never met) thought they were "traditional" or not. Congrats on your cat. By the way, I would love to see the video.
Posts: 252 | From: Greensburg, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilentT
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilentT   Author's Homepage   Email SilentT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Buff. That sounds like a heck of a hunt.
Posts: 460 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hunt it
Contributor 2015
Member # 1867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunt it   Author's Homepage   Email hunt it   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marty, you had to know and your post about stewing over this one only confirms what you thought - this may not go over well. You must live with yourself, no one else. This was done legally by laws of South Africa and you chose to do it. Then who am I or anyone else for that matter to judge you!

The age old can of worms - ETHICS can not ever be legislated. The reason being that everyone on earth has a different set of ETHICS. I see this no different than shooting a mountain lion or bear out of a tree. I'm sure I've done things many a folk would consider not ethical as well. If it is legal, who am I to judge those doing it. The law says it's ok - enough said.

That said, it's not my bag. I'm a Life Member of SCI, past SCI Chapter President, past SCI Regional Rep and have become somewhat sickend by the prolific growth of high fence hunting and the promotion of trophies based on #'s. I still believe SCI is one of the greatest hunting/conservation organizations on earth.

I know for sure that hunting Africa's big five behind fences is not my thing. I know for sure I will never shoot a bear or lion out of a tree. But that is my choice, my ethical stand and may not be yours or anybody else's for that matter. I choose not judge you based on your choices. I understand that divided we will never beat the anti's. They love to read this kind of stuff where hunters face of with hunters.

In Canada we have 1.4 million hunters total. We cannot afford to be divided on any issue as we have in the past. All this does is allow the anti's to defeat us one small win at a time. Many of my US conterparts say it will never happen in US but don't kid yourselves.

I'm glad to see you had a good time in Africa and thanks for sharing your adventue.

--------------------
hunt it

Posts: 3710 | From: london,ontario,canada | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©