Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Dark Continent » ? on packing gear for South Africa for those who have been (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: ? on packing gear for South Africa for those who have been
Morpheus32
Member # 19738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morpheus32   Email Morpheus32   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Exit Felix:
I'm headed back to SA in July, first time with a trad bow however. Will packing a t/d and arrows in my carry-on be ok as long as my BHs are in my checked baggage? I packed a t/d (no arrows or BHs) in my carry-on to NZ, and it worked great...figured to SA should be ok, too. Thanks for your input.

I would be wary. Depending on what country you are flying through, security might decide to take your bow and arrows. In some countries, particularly Africa, they make the rules and "seizing" your stuff is fair game. I have travelled in a number of third world places and there is always a "tax". In one country, they skimmed any and everything they thought they could make excuse to take. Check with your airline and ensure that it is confirmed for all your lay over locations. If they force you to check it...you are also screwed because you will have zero packing protection for the items.

I had two normal suit cases with hard backs. In these I place bow/arrows/boots and essencials to hunt. If one bag got lost, I had spares/duplicates to cover off including back up bow and arrows. When I go again, I will have two exactly the same bows for the trip. I try to make sure I look like a tourist, not a hunter when I travel.

Posts: 54 | From: St Albert, Alberta,Canada | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exit Felix
Contributor 2017
Member # 34673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exit Felix   Email Exit Felix   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good advice. I appreciate it.
Posts: 60 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArrowCrester
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 23671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArrowCrester   Email ArrowCrester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just came back from SA in November 2012….It was my first time to anywhere in Africa.

First, I suggest you check with your PH/ Outfitter as he / She will give you the answers for their particular concession and what to expect at the Lodge, Blinds, etc. My Outfitter sent a questionnaire months b4 the trip with inquires of what my wife and I liked to eat, drink, etc and had it there when we arrived.

I can tell u that laundry is done every day, so take a minimum… two of each::: pair Sox, lite shirt, pants, boots toiletries So, no problem with clean clothes to wear. I used my light desert camo, Russell light boots, and some days when it was really hot, I wore some RailRiders Weather pants with insect Shield and Matching Madison River Shirt with Insect Shield. (www.railriders.com) They were cool and comfortable all day. I would suggest you try a pair.

Meals were delicious and plentiful. The blinds were really roomy and comfortable and my PH brought a cooler full of food and drinks every day for lunch. So not to worry about eats.

I shoot a Fred Bear TD recurve and packed a spare and two dozen arrows, BHs, , all fletched and made up, + quiver. I also brought 6 practice arrows for same. Spare strings and my little tool pouch (has all emergency repair items) is something that goes with me on every trip. I packed the arrows in plastic tubes that fit perfectly in my check in luggage..

All clothes, personal items, equipment fit in one (1) check in samsonite F'Lite GT HARD suit case with wheels that was lockable.(30x20x12") Very important to use the lock for obvious reasons. The one carry on was my Badlands Pursuit day pack which I had camera, binoculars, books to read, etc. Also, I think a hard suitcase is important to protect your equipment from baggage handlers.

That's it.

WE had all the luxury while at the lodge and wanted for nothing.

As was stated in other posts 50Lbs/62" was the limit for check in baggage and carry-on was 18lbs/45". SAA allowed 2 check in bags and 1 carry-on for free. BTW the food on SAA was great and there was plenty of it. We flew from Sacramento to NY JFK then on to Johannesburg then to Kimberley SA… The flight from NY to Joburg is a LOOONG one.

I have to say it was quite an experience. A bowhunters Paradise !

I was fortunate to harvest the main game I came to Africa for (KUDU) on the very first evening of my hunt. I also downed a great Wildebeest and some other fine trophies.

One other thing::: If you plan on hunting plains game that require a US Fish and Game CITES permit to bring back (i.e. Bontebok, etc) make sure you get the Concession owners Registration certificate and a letter from the landowner allowing you to hunt that concession during your stay…. This is needed by your importer (if you use one, or DIY) here in the states for the CITES permit required by USA CUSTOMS otherwise you cannot import the shipment.

You can start this process b4 you leave the USA as it takes a minimum of 60 to 90 days for US F&G to issue the permit.

Most Battery chargers we use here in USA can work on 120 or 240 volt input so they will work in So Africa. The only thing that is needed is the adapter to convert the prong configuration from our USA type to their type, which can be purchased at Radio Shack or the Outfitter in So Africa may have one.

Good Luck !!!!

[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Yours In BowHunting,

Bob

Posts: 138 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©