Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Dark Continent » broadheads, traveling through the netherlands (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: broadheads, traveling through the netherlands
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading the article in the original post, I would seriously look into flying a different route than through the netherlands.

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11718 | From: Sonora, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amazonjim
Contributor 2017
Member # 19589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amazonjim   Email amazonjim   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why I have a 3 pieace pack the limbs and arrows in a pvc pipe and then in a regular pieace of luggage.

My rifles arrived late the first time I went through London but there were in regula gun cases, next time they went in one that looked like a golf case, no problem and sent them out on the belt lol

Posts: 783 | From: Caledonia, MS | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horne Shooter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horne Shooter   Email Horne Shooter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two years ago, my group came within a gnat's eyelash of getting arrested for having broadheads in our luggage. We were about to board the plane and were called back to the gate. They had uniformed officers there along with an older gent in a suit. I talked to the older gent at length and talked him out of putting us to jail. Thankfully he was in charge and not the uniforms.
DO NOT GO THROUGH THAT CRAZY A## country. Like Buff said, you can have a midget hooker deliver a bag of drugs to your hotel but don't have a broadhead in your checked luggage....amazing!!

--------------------
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Posts: 559 | From: Boerne, Texas | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragonheart
Contributor 2017
Member # 1953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dragonheart   Author's Homepage   Email dragonheart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a crazy place!

--------------------
Longbows & Short Shots

Posts: 4316 | From: Nacogdoches, Texas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coaster500
Contributor 2015
Member # 19836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coaster500   Email coaster500   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank God my plane is going thru Dubai in May.... I haven't heard of any problems there. I'm flying Emirates out of Los Angeles thru Dubai to Tembo then to Richards Bay in the morning.... glad I don't have to mess with the Netherlands ...

--------------------
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Posts: 4773 | From: San Luis Obispo, California | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. W. Mackey
Associate Sponsor - Contributor 2016
Member # 16582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R. W. Mackey   Email R. W. Mackey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences with Germany. Have a trip in August leaving DFW in Dallas through Frankford, Germany on to Windhoek, Namibia. Was thnking of splitting my bows between my check bag and a Pelicn bowcase, but maybe I just need to add another check bag to split them up. Thoughts from anyone. RW

--------------------
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT. Practice until you Can't do it WRONG. Dave Rorem

Posts: 737 | From: Severance, Colorado | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jorge
Contributor 2016
Member # 5899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jorge   Author's Homepage   Email Jorge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi from europe

I have travelled by Germany to Namibia with my bows with no problems. Two of the guys went with their compound hard cases, are not discrets, and no one question. Europe is not as your country, if something looks as a weapon will be checked and probably will go by the police. I would use duffel bags, maybe you can put your hard case into the duffel.

Posts: 139 | From: Bilbao, Spain | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saumensch
Contributor 2012
Member # 19552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saumensch   Email saumensch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Germany aint a problem if its checked in luggage.
Broadheads are legal here.
Bows arent even considered weapons so no problem there (as long as you dont hurt or threaten anyone with it).

--------------------
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Posts: 996 | From: Germany | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
187BOWHUNTER
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 36015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 187BOWHUNTER   Email 187BOWHUNTER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IDK, maybe mail them ahead of time
Posts: 218 | From: Blacktail country | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don_G
Member # 34903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don_G   Email Don_G   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had exactly this problem in 2006. They called me down to customs for broadheads. I had a 416 Rem, no problem. 60 rounds for same? No problem.

Broadheads? Call the cops! I was lucky, I had put the bow and arrows on the same fax as my 416 Rem, and the paper had been approved - even though it should not have been under the law. They let me take the broadheads off and put them in my regular baggage and continue. They said that broadheads had been made illegal in the Middle Ages!

I packed the heads in my checked suitcase - not my bowcase - on the way back. No problem.

Don't know how I'm getting to TZ in June. Suggestions welcome.

--------------------
Don G
66" ACS CSX 58# at my 29.5" draw, 30.5" BOH
Ashby disciple

Posts: 59 | From: CO | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowwild
Contributor 2017
Member # 2347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowwild   Author's Homepage   Email Bowwild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because of this thread I'm shipping two dozen arrows with broad heads to my friend/PH one month before I go. I'm sending early to make sure they arrive. More expensive as I'll have to have duplicate gear to continue my practice sessions with.

In fact, when booking my flight I turned down all routes that stopped in the Netherlands. I go Cincinnati, Dulles, Dakar, Johannasburg.

My back-up will be to pack the broad heads and arrows in checked baggage separate from my bow. I'd like to put my TD curve in a carry-on bag but I don't know if I could do that. I packed a recurve from WI to KY several years ago. I had to put the limbs in carry-on and the riser (club?) in a checked bag.

Here' s the rub. You can't even have confidence that asking the airline or the airport will prevent problems. Depending upon the person(s) you encounter they have different interpretations!

For example, one TSA Prince may say belt off and the next (same airport) leaves you alone.

--------------------
If the mind wanders, so too will the arrow.

Member of various archery organizations.

Posts: 5865 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cacciatore
Contributor 2017
Member # 17855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cacciatore   Email cacciatore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roy,don't trust who can say you that limbs can goon your carry on!Everything need to go on checked bags!

--------------------
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Posts: 9121 | From: Italy/Colorado | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowwild
Contributor 2017
Member # 2347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowwild   Author's Homepage   Email Bowwild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Felix.

--------------------
If the mind wanders, so too will the arrow.

Member of various archery organizations.

Posts: 5865 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don_G
Member # 34903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don_G   Email Don_G   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My PH just went through Schipol twice carrying broadheads with no problem. He had them in a different case than his bow. He does this routinely.

As stated before, I had problems there several years back.

It appears like it's as much a matter of who's on duty as much as anything else - just like here in the USA.

YMMV

--------------------
Don G
66" ACS CSX 58# at my 29.5" draw, 30.5" BOH
Ashby disciple

Posts: 59 | From: CO | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursusmajor
Member # 38079

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ursusmajor   Email ursusmajor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had asked this question but havnt gotten a response. I see this thread is somewhat old. I will b travelling to joburg via the netherlands. Is ther still an issue with going thru ther with broadheads? What's best way to get around it? Put broadheads in seperate bag as bow??
Posts: 93 | From: michigan | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©