Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Dark Continent » A Sad Story (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: A Sad Story
coaster500
Contributor 2015
Member # 19836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coaster500   Email coaster500   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry your experience was terrible and this outfits’ performance is inexcusable... It does sound as if you at least got to hunt and were to some degree successful but this is one scary story..... Fortunately for me my experience was great but I talked to at least 20 people, and read many more reviews over a period of 5/6 years before my deposit hit the mail. I talked with my PH for the same period of time and asked many questions and gauged his demeanor and attitude from his responses. Being a man of limited means I needed to know who this man was and what to expect. I had no surprises at least of the negative kind.

Ben I'm very sorry as I know what it costs and the effort it takes to put a trip like this together only to have an experience like yours.

Research, research, and then research everyone.... Ben thanks for sharing and let it be a red flag for the rest of us!!!

--------------------
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Posts: 4773 | From: San Luis Obispo, California | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hybridbow hunter
Contributor 2015
Member # 22270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hybridbow hunter   Email hybridbow hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really bad !
If one day you want to forget all this nasty trip and people and have dream trip, you can find here a lot of address from several of us tradgangers who went several times there with great time.

--------------------
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Posts: 540 | From: France | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coldfingers
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 940

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coldfingers   Email Coldfingers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The biggest problem was the lack of communication. I was pretty much in the dark the whole trip. Steyn was NOT geared to archers, trad archers in particular and it seems that even with ample warning, they sort of "punted" at the last moment when when we hit the ground in SA.

The saving grace for me was the time spent with my son and seeing lots of critters I had only seen pictures of. My son did take a very nice Kudu (his first big game with a bow of any sort) and followed up with Gemsbuck and Impalla. Fortunately, he shot up all my money and I did not have to fret over trophies and such 8*()

The place we stayed was NOT the SA Hilton for sure but it was better than the ol blue tarp I am used to ;*)

Try to ponder the good times Ben, the rest will go down in history as a bump in the learning curve ;*)

--------------------
Porquipines are peacefull creatures, but God still saw fit to give them quills.

Posts: 374 | From: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gator1
Contributor 2017
Member # 11196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gator1   Email Gator1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering what there website looked like. Un real what a website developer can do. I scanned through it and they keep referencing the Main Lodge, which looks like a spa.

I just can't beleive they are that mis leading. It is very unfortunate. I see where your coming from Ben, as far as expectations accomodations, hunting conditions etc....

Posts: 4795 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tradtusker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tradtusker   Email tradtusker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry you had a horrible trip, there are some really bad boot leg outfits out there, and you got the worst of it.

What contracts do you have for the trip?

Also please be sure to file a report with PHASA in South Africa.

--------------------
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Posts: 4140 | From: African in Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andy nimmons
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 35837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for andy nimmons   Author's Homepage   Email andy nimmons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FILL OUT A REPORT TO THE PUBLICATION '' THE HUNTING REPORT'' THAT WILL TAKE CARE OF THAT
ANDY

--------------------
I DONT SHOOT GROUPS

Posts: 152 | From: GA | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
storm5
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16457

Icon 1 posted      Profile for storm5   Email storm5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello

I am a South African Outfitter and it disturbs me greatly when i hear stories to this effect about our industry.

Please could i ask you to send all this information to PHASA (www.phasa.co.za), OR SPEAK DIRECTLY to Adri Kitshoff at the above office. She is the chief executive officer and can be contacted on 0027126672048.

There are rouges in any industry but they need to be exsposed and dealt with, and this can only be done by the ofiliating organisations.

Thank you and we are sadened that this has happened. As we are proud of our country our continent and our industry.

Hamish Skead

Posts: 134 | From: Norway | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeanpaul3006
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeanpaul3006   Email jeanpaul3006   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear about your hunt. There are great outfitters out there. I just got back from spiral horn outfitters and had a great experience. Definately contact phasa, they need to know about your experience.
Posts: 631 | From: ste agathe manitoba canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph
Contributor 2007
Member # 2732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph   Email Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sucks! If you can get past your totally justifiable feelings about how bad your experience was I would recomend giving Africa another try. It is a magical experience when you have a good trip.

--------------------
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Posts: 1884 | From: Helena, Mt | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-force
Member # 36442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for G-force   Email G-force   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Ben and other readers.I as a South African resident (born Rhodesian) am so embarresed right now after reading this report about the disgusting treatment you recieved in this country.I hang my head in shame.I hunt alot in SA using bow and rifle.This type of treatment is certainly criminal no matter where the customer comes from.I would not stand for it either.
I am not an outfitter but know a few.There are many many great companies that can provide proper hunts and accomodation and service.Please do not write off returning,if you are financially able to you must return.I can guide you if need be.
Sorry once again to read this nonscnece you had to endure.Fly by night outfitters need to be eradicated.
Cheers
Ge Jooste.

Posts: 8 | From: South Africa | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benny Nganabbarru   Email Benny Nganabbarru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is really appalling. You should share your experience as widely as possible. Are you on the Accurate Reloading forum?

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Posts: 6048 | From: Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amazonjim
Contributor 2017
Member # 19589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amazonjim   Email amazonjim   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear of your bad experience this happens more than we hear.

There are some good places in Africa, just have to be careful where you book, I don't think I would have been as patience as you.

I know a place in Zambia that we are working with to establish a confidence with the owner. Its 5000 acres or better and lots of game the accomdations are rustic but he lets us have the run of the place and cook our on meals, no guide service hunt like you want and pay for the game you shoot, if we can we want to establish a place for bowhunters that want to do it on the own.

Posts: 783 | From: Caledonia, MS | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boesman
Member # 22457

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boesman   Email Boesman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ben, what a terrible experience at the hands of my countrymen! They are not the norm, I assure you. Have you made contact with anyone from Phasa? I publish one of the local newspapers in the Lephalale-area and would like to run a synopsis of your experience along with a response from Phasa. I think it is important that the local outfitters realise how their actions reflect on the entire industry. It is also important to test the authority of a body like Phasa when it comes to inapropriate behaviour by ph's and outfitters.
Regards
Jasper

Posts: 31 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mint
2017 Contributor
Member # 5900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mint   Email Mint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like some of the Quebe outfitters.Hopefully you can get some satisfaction.

--------------------
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1582 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SERGIO VENNERI
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SERGIO VENNERI   Email SERGIO VENNERI   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHAT MINT SAID!!!!
Posts: 1810 | From: Timmins, ontario Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©