Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Dark Continent » A Sad Story (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: A Sad Story
hunt it
Contributor 2015
Member # 1867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunt it   Author's Homepage   Email hunt it   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Home work and a good booking agent are the only way to avoid such disasters. I owned and operated a booking agency for many years. With all my experience in Africa, I can say this is the first time I've read such an account of misrepresentation. You should name the agent in your accounts for all to be aware of. As mentioned, I'd file a report with PHASA,SCI and the Hunt Report. This will advise thousands of people of your situation and help prevent anyone else from getting ripped off as well. It will hurt the outfitter where it needs to in the pocket book.

I'm afraid you can probably expect to get scammed and ripped off in regards to your trophys being shipped and paperwork from such an operator as well. Don't let them hold you hostage over trophys.

South Africa is a beautiful country with lots of top notch operations to choose from. If you truly want a fair chase spot and stalk hunt then South africa is not the place to go. 98% of operations there are high fenced operations. If you are ok with that then there are few places that are better.

--------------------
hunt it

Posts: 3710 | From: london,ontario,canada | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheFatboy
Contributor 2010
Member # 19735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheFatboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were you, I'd demand a full refund, and I would do anything in my power to get it. This is absolutely unheard of. It sounds to me like none of your expectations (and promises) were met. How can they expect you to hold your end of the bargain, as far as payment goes, when they most certainly did not uphold theirs?

That being said, I am really sorry to hear about this disappointment, to say the least. I've been to South Africa once, and it was - still is - probably the greatest trip of my life. Don't let this travesty scare you off. Africa is still a great place, despite indecent fellows like these.

--------------------
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Posts: 722 | From: Denmark | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mitch H
Contributor 2013
Member # 30745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mitch H   Author's Homepage   Email Mitch H   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just came across this thread. I am sorry to hear about your experience Ben. I have been on a couple of hunts that were not quite what I was promised, but never anything close to what you describe.

As already mentioned, please contact PHASA with your experience, and also The Hunting Report. I have met Barbara Crown, the editor while in RSA before. She is a super nice lady, and she will do her best to make operations like the one you visited have a tough time staying in business.

BTW, do not think all hunting operations in RSA are like this one. I have hunted in RSA and was almost embarrassed by the royal treatment, plush accommodations, and 5-Star meals every single day.

Oh, and I never paid $400/day in daily rates either.

--------------------
Gerhart recurve
1960 Bear Grizzly
Wes Wallace Mentor
Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" Hybrid Longbow

People that are not willing to stand up for what is right, deserve no protection from those that will!

Posts: 196 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SHS
Member # 27604

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHS   Email SHS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Ben

I am very sorry to hear about your terrible experience! I do understand the fact that things do go wrong at times whilst on safari however it should never come down to this kind of an experience.

Ben it is a great shame that there are Outfitters who simply don't care it actually makes me sick to think the hard work we put in over a season to make our very grateful clients happy and then have a fellow competitor destroying the very industry that we love and have to live off.

While contacting PHASA would be the right thing to do, I would have to say they would only be able to act if this Outfit is a member of PHASA. I think it should be mandatory for South African Outfitters to join PHASA so that we might be able to weed out the bad guy's.

I would like to make a difference here even though I am not able to change your first experience of Africa I would like to try and offer you a second trip to South Africa.

This hunt would be donated at no cost to you and a fellow hunter:

7 Day Plains Game Safari for 2 Hunters

This includes:

1x Arrival Day
1x Departure Day
5x Full Hunting Day’s hunting 1 on 1 with your PH
2x Impala
1x Blue Wildebeest
1x Gemsbuck

The above rates include the following:
• The full use of all facilities in the camp such as the swimming pool and satellite television
• A daily laundry service is also available at no extra cost
• Full catering: early morning coffee & rusks, brunch, snacks, dinner, all soft drinks and alcoholic beverages in moderation
• Hunting: a fully licensed Professional Hunter, trackers, skinners, all camp staff, transport to and from blinds, picking up of trophies, field preparation of any game taken and transportation of trophies to shipping company
• Transport by vehicle from Johannesburg International Airport

The above rates excludes the following:
• Accommodations prior to and after safari
• Transport by vehicle between other Hunting Provinces
• Taxidermy work and shipping of trophies to final destination

These are not cull animals all of the animals included in this package are trophy animals.

Once again I am really saddened to read about this horrible ordeal and I sincerely hope that this would make a difference.

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Posts: 59 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeanpaul3006
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeanpaul3006   Email jeanpaul3006   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a great offer.
Louis is one of the good ones. Hopefully, you can take him up on the offer and have a great safari.

Posts: 631 | From: ste agathe manitoba canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilentT
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilentT   Author's Homepage   Email SilentT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Way to go Louis. Class act for sure.
Posts: 460 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ragin Bull
Contributor 2015
Member # 11323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ragin Bull   Author's Homepage   Email Ragin Bull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a kind offer Louis.

I hope Ben takes you up on it.

--------------------
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Posts: 1168 | From: Wis. | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
briandean
Member # 18183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for briandean   Author's Homepage   Email briandean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Louis, you're the man :-)

--------------------
“He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze.” Psalm 18:34

Posts: 63 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuckeyeGuy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuckeyeGuy   Email BuckeyeGuy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now THAT'S an outfitter, good for you Louis!
Posts: 467 | From: Macedonia OH | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Froggy
Contributor 2014
Member # 14812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Froggy   Email Froggy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a shame, I must chime along with hunt it and coaster 500 on this... RESEARCH PLUS REFERENCES. Kudos to Louis's offer on the hunt. Very nice gesture. It would bs safe to say you have way more patience than me, I would probably still be in a South African Jail !!!!!!!

Lanier

--------------------
TGMM >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Posts: 4428 | From: Athens, Georgia | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ozzyshane
Contributor 2016
Member # 24003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ozzyshane   Email ozzyshane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Louis what a stand up act Thanks Shane
Posts: 249 | From: australia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benjy
Contributor 2015
Member # 9320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Benjy   Author's Homepage   Email Benjy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Great offer Louis, If Ben dosen't accept, I would be glad to! [bigsmyl]

Benjy

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT 60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT 64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Posts: 2258 | From: Irmo, SC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oldbohntr
Contributor 2017
Member # 5733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oldbohntr   Author's Homepage   Email oldbohntr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do it, Ben. I've been lucky to have two good experiences in RSA(although some less than great ones elsewhere). It's obvious that Louis is one of the good guys. I'll betcha he gives exactly what he promises and more!

As someone else said, you may suffer further when you find out how this bunch of crooks handled your trophies. Surely hope not! But, it takes a long time to get everything back home and/or mounted. Can either be the crowning glory, or just some more pain! Sure hope yours turns out fine, and you take another trip - and that turns out to be wonderful.

--------------------
Tom

Posts: 1207 | From: Washington state | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nick_the_tinkerer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nick_the_tinkerer   Email nick_the_tinkerer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SHS:
HI Ben

I am very sorry to hear about your terrible experience! I do understand the fact that things do go wrong at times whilst on safari however it should never come down to this kind of an experience.

Ben it is a great shame that there are Outfitters who simply don't care it actually makes me sick to think the hard work we put in over a season to make our very grateful clients happy and then have a fellow competitor destroying the very industry that we love and have to live off.

While contacting PHASA would be the right thing to do, I would have to say they would only be able to act if this Outfit is a member of PHASA. I think it should be mandatory for South African Outfitters to join PHASA so that we might be able to weed out the bad guy's.

I would like to make a difference here even though I am not able to change your first experience of Africa I would like to try and offer you a second trip to South Africa.

This hunt would be donated at no cost to you and a fellow hunter:

7 Day Plains Game Safari for 2 Hunters

This includes:

1x Arrival Day
1x Departure Day
5x Full Hunting Day’s hunting 1 on 1 with your PH
2x Impala
1x Blue Wildebeest
1x Gemsbuck

The above rates include the following:
• The full use of all facilities in the camp such as the swimming pool and satellite television
• A daily laundry service is also available at no extra cost
• Full catering: early morning coffee & rusks, brunch, snacks, dinner, all soft drinks and alcoholic beverages in moderation
• Hunting: a fully licensed Professional Hunter, trackers, skinners, all camp staff, transport to and from blinds, picking up of trophies, field preparation of any game taken and transportation of trophies to shipping company
• Transport by vehicle from Johannesburg International Airport

The above rates excludes the following:
• Accommodations prior to and after safari
• Transport by vehicle between other Hunting Provinces
• Taxidermy work and shipping of trophies to final destination

These are not cull animals all of the animals included in this package are trophy animals.

Once again I am really saddened to read about this horrible ordeal and I sincerely hope that this would make a difference.

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

[clapper]

there is a man that believes in himself and his business!

--------------------
Illegitimus Non Carborundum (Don't let the bastards grind you down)

NRA Life Member

Posts: 532 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juan Matos
Member # 35279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juan Matos   Author's Homepage   Email Juan Matos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People calling you a "walking wallet", racing each other over 120, under the influence of rum and coke, the yogurt granola breakfast, skimpy lunches, the tip talk...This trip was a disaster. Sorry it happed to you.

If I ever go to Africa I'll make sure to talk to Buff, TradTusker, Prairie Drifer and others who I trust to get a feel for who to book with.

Posts: 37 | From: FL | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©