Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Dark Continent » A Sad Story (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: A Sad Story
LEOPARD
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LEOPARD   Author's Homepage   Email LEOPARD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's bad, Ben. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Some great advice has been given regarding contacting PHASA and SCI.

Hope you get something out of it.

--------------------
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Posts: 1522 | From: Zimbo in UK | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nineworlds9
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 37028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nineworlds9   Email nineworlds9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WTH!!!!! Man oh man, you're a better man than I, Im pretty sure I would have turned that into an international incident. My temper couldn't have handled that total utter BS!!! Ahh!

--------------------
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
62" Wes Wallace Mentor
62" W&W Black Wolf+Kaya K2's
70" HHA Black Mamba #46

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Posts: 7070 | From: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hntngrl
Member # 39453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hntngrl   Email hntngrl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW, that was painful to even read. I went on my first African safari in June 2012 and it was the best experience of my life. I hope that you give it another shot someday because you deserve to experience the REAL African bush with an excellent outfitter. I went with Infinito Safaris ( website here) and Charl and his crew worked so incredibly hard to make sure my safari was nothing short of incredible. The food was great. Homecooked and fresh. Big breakfasts and we ate wild game for lunch and dinner every day. The hunting was great, we saw tons of game with trophy sized animals being fairly common. Charl's operation is very professional and well organized. All staff were friendly and could speak English, they never drank to excess, and made sure we had everything we needed/wanted. They even remembered what we preferred for breakfast. For example, I like a hot breakfast with meat. Once they learned that, they made sure I had meat with my breakfast every day after that. Also, they had a full bar with local liquors. We never had to drive more than 20 minutes to our hunting spots, and it was often less than that.

If you ever do decide to hunt Africa again (and you absolutely should!!), I can get you some contact information with a friend of mine who goes every year. This friend owns an archery pro shop and you can even choose to go with him on his trip. That's what my husband and I did and it was amazing. I killed 4 animals (two of them made Roland Ward), and had three of them in the salt in the first 4 days of my hunt. My husband killed 3 animals and missed his 4th. The taxidermy should be here by November of this year. We are currently saving for our second trip there and hope to go in two years. If you have any more questions, PM me. Sorry you had to endure such a terrible experience [Frown]

Posts: 39 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gil Verwey
2017 Contributor
Member # 9674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gil Verwey   Email Gil Verwey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have dreamed of an African Safari all my life. I still intend to go. I can't believe the hunt you experienced.

I like being remote but would like to eat at least two meals a day. I would like to experience a remote camp and not a lodge. I would feel just as bad if they promised a remote camp and I wound up in a 5 star lodge.

This thread has cut my search for a reputable PH. I don't have to search further than Spiral Horn Safaris and Louis van Bergen. One day when I have the loot I will be booking with them.

Very sorry to hear this experience you had. I sure wouldn't let one guy ruin my dream. He wins if you do.

Gil

--------------------
TGMM Family of the bow.

Posts: 3350 | From: NewJersey | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gil Verwey
2017 Contributor
Member # 9674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gil Verwey   Email Gil Verwey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also like to say I admire Louis van Bergen's integrity and generosity. You rarely get to see integrity like that.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the bow.

Posts: 3350 | From: NewJersey | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ermont
2017 Contributor
Member # 25655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ermont   Email ermont   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got back two weeks ago from my second great hunt in Africa. I had a great trip with another outfitter. I want to go back in two years. It will be with Spiral Horns. I applaud what you did.
Posts: 1727 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scitty
Contributor 2017
Member # 39904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scitty   Email Scitty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Ben

Sorry to hear about your experience, I feel embarrassed! there are some real nasty folks out there with only their best interest at heart! parasites! I'm only reading this now as I am a newbie to both trad archery and the site. My only request would not to be put off by my beautiful country by your bad experience. I do understand the disappointment but maybe when I am more proficient and ready for a hunt you could join me here in RSA so I can show you a different side.

I'm sure I will get to know the bow hunting scene better as I get into it a bit more and hopefully will be able to provide you with top class info in the future.

Juan Human

Posts: 69 | From: South Africa | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redpepper49
Member # 27168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redpepper49   Email redpepper49   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get references . Just got back from a great hunt with Kudu safaris .

every thing was what they said and more.

Posts: 88 | From: tennessee | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Hammond
SPONSOR
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Hammond   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what happened????

--------------------
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 8812 | From: Buford GA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©