Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Dark Continent » THE FLAVOURS OF SOUTH AFRICA (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: THE FLAVOURS OF SOUTH AFRICA
BRITISH BLACKSMITH
Member # 9153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BRITISH BLACKSMITH   Email BRITISH BLACKSMITH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I AM OFF TO S.A SOON ON MY FIRST BOWHUNT.
WHAT IS THE BEST TASTING ANIMAL TO HUNT?
APPARENTLY FEMALE WILDEBEEST ARE VERY TENDER, ANY THOUGHTS ON KUDU, IMPALA, WARTHOG, OSTRICH, STEENBOK, HARTEBEEST OR ZEBRA?

Posts: 5 | From: LONDON,ENGLAND | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilentT
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilentT   Author's Homepage   Email SilentT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eland!
Posts: 460 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeanpaul3006
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeanpaul3006   Email jeanpaul3006   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
favorites were wildebeest and gemsbok!
Posts: 631 | From: ste agathe manitoba canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. W. Mackey
Associate Sponsor - Contributor 2016
Member # 16582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R. W. Mackey   Email R. W. Mackey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blue Wilderbeest Tenderloins cooked over Camel Thorn coals are very hard to beat, just returned. RW

--------------------
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT. Practice until you Can't do it WRONG. Dave Rorem

Posts: 737 | From: Severance, Colorado | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PZee
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PZee   Email PZee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
eland and Gemsbok are closest to beef. My favourite is Red Hartebeest, although it's all great to me..... Ghee I need some biltong now!!!

--------------------
'Impi! wo 'nans' impi iyeza
Obani bengathinta amabhubesi?'

Posts: 278 | From: South Africa Baby!!!! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mj seratt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mj seratt   Email mj seratt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out of 3 trips to Africa, the best AND worst meat I had was Impala. Had kebobs cooked over mopane wood, absolutely amazing. This was in Zimbabwe, and later in SA had impala steaks that tasted sour. Think it was due to lack of care in the processing, but again, nowhere did anyone field dress the game. It was all brought back whole, and then gutted etc. I also had filet of warthog that was as fine as anything I've ever eaten.

Murray

--------------------
mjseratt

Posts: 185 | From: bartlett, tn | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hybridbow hunter
Contributor 2015
Member # 22270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hybridbow hunter   Email hybridbow hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eland, Zebra and springbok

--------------------
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Posts: 540 | From: France | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siewho
Member # 21489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siewho   Email Siewho   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zebra, Wildebeest, Gemsbok in this order in taste for me. Jerky (Biltong) all good...mouth watering

--------------------
Siewho

Posts: 70 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxAg
Contributor 2015
Member # 17471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxAg   Email TxAg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zebra, kudu, warthog was all tasty

I didnt eat the baboon i shot

Posts: 3642 | From: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LouCompton
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LouCompton   Email LouCompton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just came back myself and had the opportunity to taste Blue Wildebeest while there. It was absolutely outstanding! Only other game animal we had as ostrich and that was only so-so.

--------------------
Don't sit around and let things happen to you. Instead get busy and start making things happen FOR you. Get involved!

Posts: 153 | From: Crisfield, Maryland | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-force
Member # 36442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for G-force   Email G-force   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in africa and hunt plenty.
Eland is the closest you will get to beef.Very good to eat.Most game is good,it all lies in the preparation.The very best fillet I have had is zebra steak over an open fire.

Posts: 8 | From: South Africa | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BRITISH BLACKSMITH
Member # 9153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BRITISH BLACKSMITH   Email BRITISH BLACKSMITH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All
Thanks for the replies.
I had a great time out in the bush.
All the food was absolutely fantastic.
I have to say that eland was wonderful in many guises, steaks, stews, sausages and tenderloins sizzling from the pan.
Letsatsi Farms, Benito and Babs certainly know how to look after you and give you the magical african experience.

Posts: 5 | From: LONDON,ENGLAND | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zwickey2bl
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zwickey2bl   Email zwickey2bl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not hunted Africa but have made 7 trips to Zimbabwe and SA for other reasons. I thought warthog was outstanding, impala was very nice, eland was wonderful as well. Crocodile tail was good. Ostrich not so much.
Posts: 327 | From: NW Alabama | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kibok&ko
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kibok&ko   Email kibok&ko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
eland, busbuck, kudu, and crude grind meet of zebra with french fry

--------------------
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Posts: 948 | From: France | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheFatboy
Contributor 2010
Member # 19735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheFatboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny how nobody mentioned that which the African's themselves consider the greatest game meat... bushbuck!

--------------------
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Posts: 722 | From: Denmark | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©