Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Dark Continent » Anyone heard of 9/32 Woodies?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone heard of 9/32 Woodies?
kevsurf
Member # 30310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kevsurf   Email kevsurf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I happened across some 9/32 Woodies. They spine 50-55# and weigh 450-470 grains at 30”. They look straight but I have never heard of or shot them. Any input would be helpful.

Nevin

Posts: 20 | From: Washington State | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bjorn
Contributor 2017
Member # 6694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bjorn   Email Bjorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are the compressed cedar shafts made by Bill Sweetland in the 1960's. I can tell from the diameter and the weight. You have archery history there!!

[ August 16, 2015, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Rob DiStefano ]

Posts: 9987 | From: Los Gatos, California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Lyon
Charter Member - Contributor 2017
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Lyon   Email Ray Lyon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree, they could be Sweetland Forgewoods. I've got some that are 19/64. They were manufactured in 17/18/19/20--64th's according to the check box hang tag on the mint condition, new in the box dozen that I have. You can do a simple test to see if they're Forgewoods. Take one with no point on it and find the balance point. If it's closer to the front end of the arrow, then it's probably a compressed 'forgewood' arrow. The process to make a shaft was to take a 'club like' block of wood (twice as thick on one half) and compress it to a uniform plank that was dowelled into a shaft. The end of the shaft with the denser wood is to be made into the point end of the arrow. If they are forgewoods, it's a great find. They take a beating.

--------------------
Shrewhaven Lodge co-chef

Posts: 4193 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green
Contributor 2016
Member # 25862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green   Email Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some 9/32" 45# Red Balau from Kevin Forrester. They are left 11/32" at the point end. Kevin's a good guy to work with and will make sure you receive exactly what you want.

--------------------
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Practice form in the dark. Practice aiming during the daylight.

Posts: 3356 | From: Kempner, TX | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have shot the arrows Green mentioned by Kevin Forrester. I really like the shaft diameter close to what I am used to with my carbons.

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11250 | From: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©