Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Dark Continent » Hooked on Africa (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hooked on Africa
duncan idaho
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8006

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duncan idaho   Author's Homepage   Email duncan idaho   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
would really like to know about your choice of equipment...BH, Bow poundage,arrow weight and material, etc.. Thanks.

--------------------
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Posts: 609 | From: NATO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goke
2017 Contributor
Member # 13244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Goke   Email Goke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My setup included two widow PSA recurves. I hunted only with one as the second was the backup. Draw weight was 61#. Arrows were beeman MFX classics, 29", four fletched and wrapped with 50 gr brass inserts and 25 gr aluminum footings. Broadheads were 4 blade steel force fat heads, 200 grs. Total arrow weight was right at 600 gr.

I had more than adequate penetration on everything i shot. I hit the opposite shoulder on the wildabeast and warthog which stopped the arrow. I had a complete pass through on the gems buck and bless buck. On my impalla I shot forward, hit the shoulder at a quartering away angle. It broke the shoulder bone and deflected into the front of the heart. If I went back, I would not hesitate to use that same setup. Here are a few pics.

-

-

-

-

Posts: 912 | From: Montana | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goke
2017 Contributor
Member # 13244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Goke   Email Goke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fellow trad bow shooter in our group missed a nice impala early in the trip but fate was on his side as this giant came to drink a few days later.

-

Posts: 912 | From: Montana | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goke
2017 Contributor
Member # 13244

I hadn't really planned on shooting a warthog when I left the US. After a couple days of watching them I slowly became addicted to hogs. Its hard to explain but they are a very cool animal. This nice boar came in one evening and gave me a great quartering away shot at about 10 yards.

-

Goke
2017 Contributor
Member # 13244

One evening shortly before dark we were preparing to pack up for the evening when a Jackal ran in and began drinking from the pond. My PH quickly insisted I shoot at him. I was not convinced I could hit him as his was quartering hard away from me at 20 yards and a Jackal is not a very big target. I shot nonetheless and the arrow entered behind his front shoulder but exited the front of his chest on the same side. My PH tracked him through the bush, which was amazing as I could not even see his tracks and there was very little blood. We jumped him up but he was hurt bad. Unfortunately I missed him a couple times as he tried to run away. Cost me two arrows but the third found its mark. I now have plans for a Jackal skin back quiver, an unexpected bonus on this trip. The guys at Limcroma said they could not recall anyone ever shooting a Jackal there with a trad bow.

-

Goke
2017 Contributor
Member # 13244

On our last day hunting we went to an area hoping for Zebra as the zebra continued to allude me. It was nearly 100 that day. Most of the other days were in the 80s. After nearly 8 hours in the sweat lodge, a heard of impala came to drink. Earlier in the week I had passed up some 22 yard shots on nice impala rams because I had watched them jump the string on my friends who were shooting those other bows at just over 25 yards resulting in a wounded ram. I vowed to leave without an impala before shooting at one at 20 yards and risking wounding him. Well, my patience paid off as the lone ram in the group that came in on the final day gave me a quartering away shot at about 15 yards. As I said above, I missed him forward but the arrow broke the front shoulder and must have cut the front of the heart. He bled well but it took him awhile to expire. I had to shoot him again at close range once we found him. He turned out to be a very old ram with brushed off tips. I felt a little bittersweet as we loaded him into the truck as I knew that was most likely my final animal in Africa . . . at least on that trip!!!

-

-

Goke
2017 Contributor
Member # 13244

Here is a pic of our tracker Jennings tracking my impala. Jennings was truly a remarkable tracker and an inspiring person. He has a remarkable story which I will not post here out of respect for his privacy but suffice it to say Jennings was an extremely hard worker with a remarkably positive outlook on everything. His laughter was contagious and inspiring. Every time I recall our days, it makes me laugh and brightens my day. I left Africa with a new friendship with many folks but particularly with Jennings and my PH Jan. They truly made those long days in the blind far more enjoyable. I hope to return to hunt with them again.

-

-

Goke
2017 Contributor
Member # 13244

The stars in Africa are remarkable. Im no astronomer but someone told me that many (if not all) of the stars and constellations are stars we don't normally see here in the north.

-

-

-

greenfish13
Member # 39291

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenfish13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well I am ready to grab my bow and go African game huntin' after this post thanks for the awesome photos and stories! Can't wait for the day when I can go there hunting....
Posts: 37 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxAg
Contributor 2015
Member # 17471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxAg   Email TxAg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome recap..thanks for the pics!
Posts: 3642 | From: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FerretWYO
Admin
Member # 13052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FerretWYO   Email FerretWYO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What an awesome trip. Great pictures and enjoyed reading about your adventure.

--------------------
TGMM Family of The Bow

Posts: 6401 | From: Cheyenne Wy | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe ashton
Contributor 2013
Member # 11463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe ashton   Email joe ashton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
out standing

--------------------
Joe Ashton,D.C.
pronghorn long bow 54#
black widow long bow 55#
21 century long bow 55#
big horn recurve 58#

Posts: 4129 | From: colorado | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John146
SPONSOR
Member # 26049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John146   Email John146   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Goke!!! Awesome is all I can say!!!

--------------------
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Posts: 1094 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
centaur
Contributor 2015
Member # 14053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for centaur   Email centaur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a trip! That buff is reminiscent of the Robert Ruark quote "He looks at you like you owe him money".
Thanks for sharing a great adventure.

--------------------
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Posts: 4044 | From: WY - East face of the Bighorns | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rolltidehunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 21755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rolltidehunter   Email rolltidehunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
man that looks like an amazing trip
Posts: 873 | From: Florence Alabama | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©