Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Dark Continent » Kudu versus Elk (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Kudu versus Elk
Hunt
Member # 41994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hunt   Email Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, got the pic posting sorted. Here is a Red Hartebeest bull shot with the above setup.
 -

Posts: 5 | From: South Africa | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunt
Member # 41994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hunt   Email Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warthog, same setup

-

Posts: 5 | From: South Africa | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunt
Member # 41994

Gemsbuck, same setup @ 16 yards.Got pass through shot. Please excuse the blood! should have cleaned it up.

-

groyce
Contributor 2014
Member # 16300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groyce   Author's Homepage   Email groyce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell of a pig bro!
Posts: 220 | From: jacksonville, florida | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobaru
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobaru   Email Bobaru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the only thing sharper than your broadhead are the Gemsbok horns. Nice pics.
Posts: 400 | From: Canandaigua, New York | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Kidner
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Kidner   Email Al Kidner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my limited experience all African critters die hard and the key is not bow poundage ( shoot what you can comfortably ) ... But more so one needs pin point accuracy. If your off a little it can mean heartache.

I lost a real nice warthog when I shot clean through him with a 740g arrow, TuffHead out of my 63# recurve....lots of blood but no recovered animal after 500m of tracking.

Nice animals Hunt. I'm heading back to Namibia next year and have me a hankering for any gemsbok who offers up a shot.

ak.

--------------------
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Posts: 2236 | From: Mackay,QLD, Australia. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hybridbow hunter
Contributor 2015
Member # 22270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hybridbow hunter   Email hybridbow hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the contoversy but If accuracy is always the key , the perfect 15 yards or less broadside shot is not always occurring. I hunted many places in Africa and Zimbabwe and for our last 4 trips we tried to hunt only natural water holes with no feeder, mostly in natural made light blinds or straw shields. The truth is that way is much more interesting for me but realistic shot opportunities are less and sometimes i have to take shot a little longer that I wish or shot angles not that good on game quartering toward a bit. The key for me is max poundage I can shoot honestly and extra wide multiblade for maximal lesion effect. This way I just lost 3 animal over the last 7 trips, one being a "good" shot, probably bagged by poachers
As every body I train my shooting as much as I can and often ( not as often as I wish though !) in my backyard i do really excellent shooting. But things don t always go as perfectly when hunting...i shoot 61# at 31+" 720 gr arrow, big Jim 300 gr & 50 gr insert BH border hex6 recurve. Not that much poundage, but A LOT of bow regarding to effective arrow speed and momentum...

I made a little footage of those less than "perfect" shot, every game recovered and truly bow killed , none shot less than 19 yards.
eland was quarering toward 19 yards, I aimed for a shot between neck and shoulder blade but ....arrow broke his shoulder joint and took right lung. Made 100 yrd and beded on sight, unable to walk further. I could sneak and shot him at 25 yards then it stood and made a few paces and i could put a third arrow. It is still #8 sci livingstone eland taken with a bow.
Wildebeest is shot through the shoulder bone on a quartering towards angle, down in 80 yards
Warthogs were all over 20 yrds shots. The one shot a litlle back was track for half a mile and thanks to the huge holes the animal was moving slowly and I could back up arrow him at 30 yards. Then made 200 yards and died. The spine shot one is done through the scapular joint and cut the vertebra. All the broadhead in the spine.

How many of these could have been put down if shot the same with low poundage bows/ light arrows /skinny blade ??

To see the footage, click on pic and Password ( if needed) is: caranx

-

--------------------
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Posts: 519 | From: France | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TURKEYFOOTGIRL
Contributor 2015
Member # 23999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TURKEYFOOTGIRL   Email TURKEYFOOTGIRL   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool video!

--------------------
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Posts: 559 | From: Stevi, mt usa | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobaru
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobaru   Email Bobaru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linda and I arrived South Africa on 8/25 and her suitcase never left Atlanta. My 64" Brackenbury 54# bow was in that suitcase. My suitcase contained my backup bow: a 64" Samick Journey 50#. It was shooting about 55# at my draw length and is very similar to the Brack.

Before a trip, I get very particular on details. I do know that, once in the field, all that detail planning can go to the devil. But, still, I like to be prepared ahead of time.

I found that the two bows shot slightly different, probably due to how my hand fit. And, I shot the Samick Journey better (??). On my "cold shot" with the Journey, my arrows were slightly low. With the Brack, they were slightly high. So, I practiced exclusively with the brack.

Arrows were another thing. I have not been a big fan of heavy arrows, which will get some eye brows raised here. But, with lots of testing, and lots of excel files, I settled on a Gold Tip Traditional 7595, 300 spine, 31" with 40 grains attached to the insert and a 150 grain two blade Magnus Stinger. Total weight is 564 grains.

I was wanting to bring a 463 grain arrow, but listened in the end to those who like them heavier. And, there was almost no difference in the point of impact between the two at 20 yards. Plus the Gold Tips flew very nicely and were well tuned.

Posts: 400 | From: Canandaigua, New York | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobaru
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24056

We were put up in a nice B&B in Pretoria for the evening. As we were sipping coffee the next morning, our PH stopped in for our lift to Matlabas Game Hunters, a 4 hr. drive.

First thing at camp, Linda and I settled, got some lunch and were invited for an afternoon hunt. I still had jeans and sneakers, but no matter.

First stop was at the range. Elgim marked a line in the sand, and said "20 yards." Elgim stood back with the owner, Willem, to watch us shoot. I have got to admit, I'm a little intimidated. But I block that out. First arrow with the Samick Journey was dead center in the 1" black circle. So, I act as if that is normal, not anything like luck. Next 4 or 5 arrows were all in a grate fruit size area. Linda's were about the same. More normal for us. So, off we went: me with Elgim and Linda with Willem.

Bobaru
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24056

On the first afternoon hunt, I had two dikers and three waterbucks come into our waterhole. Nothing to shoot at. I made a few practice draws. I realized that these animals in a water hole are a lot more jumpy than the whitetail deer I'm accustomed to.

In the next two days, we saw less. There was still water in the Matlabas river from their Fall, the weather wasn't hot enough for the animals to want an abundance of water, and the wind was blowing. A much frustrated PH, Elgim, told me that, well, yes, there was game here. But, I didn't need convincing. Look at the ground anywhere and I saw more prints and more scat than I'd ever seen in America.

Finally, on Wednesday the 27, Elgim and I went on a Walk and Stalk. In short order we came on a small group of Eland bedded in the shadows. I didn't have any desire for an eland, but we put on a stalk for fun. As we got to about 70 yards, off to our left, we spotted zebra. Now things were more interesting.

We turned to stalk the zebra in earnest. Elgim thought he could get me being a scrub bush at about 30 yards. Perhaps I could get a shot.

As we worked this stalk crosswind, we came more and more close to a bad wind sitution on the eland. And, sure enough, the wind took a slight shift. The eland were off taking the zebras with them.

But the zebras didn't go far. So, we started a new stalk. But that went south quickly. I'm guessing the spooked eland were too much for the zebra. Or, it could be that the zebra just like walking, ya know!

As we stood up and milled about over this ending, off to our left we spotted a 40" Kudu bull standing under an acacia tree just looking at us. ... Just amazing to me what goes on in Africa. Sure different for me. Of course, Elgim ways he's too small for me. But, to me, he looks like a BIG animal. No matter anyway, as he exited also.

Bobaru
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24056

I started a thread on Pow-Wow to continue this.
David lozzano
Contributor 2016
Member # 22370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David lozzano   Email David lozzano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
awesome trophies, Congrats!

--------------------
JK traditions Kanati 60" 53#@28
Morrison ILF 56" 48#@28
selway lil magnum 58" 49@27
Black Widow PMAX 60" 51# @ 28
Stalker Jackal 58" 52# @ 28

Posts: 330 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bisch
Contributor 2017
Member # 17432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bisch   Email Bisch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shot my 54" kudu with my 50# @ my DL Sarrels Blueridge longbow with 530gr arrow. I used super sharp German Kinetic Silverflame XL broadheads. I have also shot red hartebeest and waterbuck with the same setup.

Bisch

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11483 | From: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobaru
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24056

Very nice Bisch.

I got a 40" Kudu within 40 yards. I thought he was BIG. ... He sure impressed me!!!

But the PH casually says he's got at least a year to grow up.

So, 54" is very respectable.

I finally shot about ~ 55# with a 564 grain arrow. It didn't work on Kudu, 'cause I never got the shot. But, it was dandy for Wildebeest.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©