Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Abowyer, Inc.

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Dark Continent » Impala with an old 33# recurve? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Impala with an old 33# recurve?
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Prairie Drifter:
SBD's. ...

yer experiencing the difference 'tween dacron polyester and hmpe polyethylene. the average typical speed difference 'tween 14 and 8 strands of hmpe (most any flavor) ain't much at all. i built bowstrings for a living at one time, in the dim past.

when i was yer age, 20 years ago, there were lotsa things i wouldn't hesitate doing. won't say anymore. [Wink]

--------------------
IAM ~ Black Powder Gang ~ TANJ ~ TGMM ~ NRA Patriot Life ~ NRA RSO

Posts: 10037 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hybridbow hunter
Contributor 2015
Member # 22270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hybridbow hunter   Email hybridbow hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Rob. If you compare 2 perfectly made strings for a given bow, same brace height and draw length with the same arrow difference between Dacron and dynema strings will be around 4-5 fps and 16 strand vs 8 strands same dynema strings will be hardly a couple of fps if any. When you get more than that it is usually more from quality of building, non stabilized string vs completely stabilized one and difference in brace height with lower BH on the " skinny"

Regarding to bow poundage and African plains game, for a very good shot and no marginal hit 50 pounders and skinny one inch wide 2 blades are really effective. When you are marginal ( trophy fever, fast spinning upon release game, etc..) you will have no back up for breaking bone or deeply penetrate the critter or create a wide wound from a wider and/or multiblade BH and most of the time a poor outcome.
Advising extra light poundage as mentioned in topic title is just stupid.

--------------------
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Posts: 540 | From: France | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coaster500
Contributor 2015
Member # 19836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coaster500   Email coaster500   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Due to health issues I was forced to shoot a 56' Thunderchild that was marked 50@28 and I only draw 27"so probably 47#s or so. Single bevel two blade Abowyer and a 500 grain ish arrow...... I shot Impala, Warthog, Blesbok, Nayala and a Red Duiker.... Lammie from Dare to Bowhunt SA will attest to the effectiveness of my set up ..... all animals had two holes, entry and exit...

sorry for the quality of this video but it demonstrates the effectiveness of my set up. The arrows shadow can be seen in the video. It traveled about 18/19 inches and fell to the ground after a short death run... this shot was about 18 yards..... I would not hesitate to use this set up again………..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5GMRFgWlXs

--------------------
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Posts: 4773 | From: San Luis Obispo, California | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©