JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » Rawhide backing..a pictorial (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Rawhide backing..a pictorial
fletcharrows
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1947

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fletcharrows   Author's Homepage   Email fletcharrows   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super nice Ferret - Can't wait to see the finished limbs.

fletch

--------------------
"No..No.. I really mean it - never fry food in the nude"

Posts: 311 | From: VancouverUSA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Scifres
Associate Sponsor
Member # 946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Scifres   Author's Homepage   Email John Scifres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job Mickey. However, that one pic of the wrapped snake head kinda jumped out at me [Smile]

--------------------
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 6993 | From: Indiana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Timo
Charter Member
Member # 180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timo   Email Timo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool job Mickey!

Have you thought about leaving some of the rawhide,to extend over the edges? Might help hold her together?

--------------------
(Enny o yuns know ware thu heart o a stumpytail izz??)

Posts: 4781 | From: Hickory co.Mo. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mich-mtnman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mich-mtnman   Email mich-mtnman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i missed out . i couldnt go to glli! my buddy did and he said it was great. great post ferret i cant wait till its finished!

--------------------
" still trying to look like a 300# leaf "

Posts: 786 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Littlefeather
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Littlefeather   Email Littlefeather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great pictoral Mickey!
Posts: 5961 | From: So. Texas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Ferret   Author's Homepage   Email the Ferret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys...

Timo thought about that, but the way the wood snakes back and forth the rawhide barely covered some outside edges of the curves and draped over some of the inside edges of the curves and would have been real tough to trim off evenly.

Bue the caribou rawhide sounds neat. Strange that they would have such thin hide and such thick hair. This calfskin is hard to measure. The dial caliper barely moves and still basically reads zero ha ha. In comparison the deer rawhide I have measures about .020 and the elk rawhide about .035. Would be tough to back a bow with the elk rawhide..too thick!

--------------------
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Posts: 12891 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Ferret   Author's Homepage   Email the Ferret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK...back at it..

Since it has now been 24 hours since we wrapped it like a mummy, it's time to unwrap and see what we have

-

Oooh..looking good! Here it is totally unwrapped

-

--------------------
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Posts: 12891 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Next we take a small 4 cornered rasp and using the rounded smoother side and stroking from back to belly we start cutting off the excess rawhide that was wrapped around the limbs edges

-

We continue this following any humps or dips cleaning up both side and tips of the bow

-

--------------------

the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

And here is our bow with a fresh rawhide back all cleaned up.

-

At this point you could either paint, stain, or seal the rawhide as is. In the case of this bow, later it will get a snakeskin backing over the rawhide for decoration using basically the same procedure we just used for putting on the rawhide.

To see where this bow goes from here, please see the thread " The Perfect Snaky Osage Bow..part deux"

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©