JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » Bamboo backed static build along (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Bamboo backed static build along
horseapple
Contributor 2018
Member # 93

Icon 1 posted      Profile for horseapple   Author's Homepage   Email horseapple   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dang Tom, forgot to answer your question on the garolite... I got the piece from Greg Coffey, you can order it in .125 thickness which is 1/8" and 36x1.5 inch strips... I was out of ea-40 smooth-on so I used industrial strength thick super glue.

JD

Posts: 993 | From: Ada, OK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dano
Contributor 2009
Member # 748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dano   Author's Homepage   Email Dano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great "build-a-long" JD, I'll be watching and learning. Thanks.

--------------------
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Posts: 7519 | From: Nevada | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocdoc
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rocdoc   Email rocdoc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great build along JD! You just doin' this to keep us Oklahoma Newbies from comin' down to your shop and askin the same questions over and over again??? IT AIN'T GONNA WORK!

In fact....I'm supposed to go down to Ada to look at a drilling rig sometime soon. Thought I might stop by??

--------------------
"The crappy stuff makes you a better bowyer, but the good stuff makes better bows"....Ferret

Posts: 1444 | From: Sapulpa, OK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farmerboy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farmerboy   Email farmerboy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great build a long JD, we did good work. come on you have got to give me credit for something. i see my foot in the picture. ha ha

looks good anyways, good work.

Posts: 136 | From: OK | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Barnes
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Barnes   Email Bob Barnes       Edit/Delete Post 
JD... you are my hero [Smile] This will be my very next project... thanks a bunch.
Bob

--------------------
"Hello, My name is Bob and I'm a BowAholic"

Posts: 2238 | From: St. Vincent, Arkansas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DCM
Charter Member
Member # 107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DCM   Email DCM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JD,

It looks like the slat is tapered in the last few inchs where you bend it. Is that just an optical illusion caused by the aluminum banding?

Also, I assume you just need a piece of banding about 12" long, that is a yard stick cut into 3 pieces. The backing and clamp must try to "walk" up the slat as you bend. Do you clamp it way tight or just let it slip a little?

Great build along and good timing too. Thanks.

Posts: 1316 | From: Memphis, Tn | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
horseapple
Contributor 2018
Member # 93

Icon 1 posted      Profile for horseapple   Author's Homepage   Email horseapple   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David... I think I mention on one of the pic's about the strap being a yard stick cut in 3 pieces:) also mentioned the reason for clamping the strap before you make the bend, but I didn't mention how thick the bend area is thanks bud:) I taper the last 8" to around 3/8"... Just got in from work... gonna relax abit and head to the shop to look at some bamboo.

JD

Posts: 993 | From: Ada, OK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Keiper
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam Keiper   Email Adam Keiper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JD, That's some really good stuff! All those little tidbits (like boiling w/ the strap on, clamping the strap prior to the bend, and heat torching, etc.) are the things that make a project work versus fail. Thanks alot for posting. [Big Grin] [thumbsup]
Posts: 604 | From: Sun & Snow | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
horseapple
Contributor 2018
Member # 93

added some pictures detailing how I draw shape and flatten the bamboo before recurving it.

JD

horseapple
Contributor 2018
Member # 93

link for those not wanting to go to page one.

http://groups.msn.com/Horseappleswebpage/bamboobackedstaticrecurve.msnw

Stick & String
Member # 2185

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Stick & String   Email Stick & String   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's also nice to see different methods folks use during building, like tapering the Boo on a power sander vs. planing. I'm just starting my 1st BBO and even though it's not a static recurve, I'm hoping to gain a lot of valuble info. and watchouts from your postings/pics. Thanks for the build along!

S&S

--------------------
Stick & String

Posts: 41 | From: SE Indiana (Cincinnati) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
horseapple
Contributor 2018
Member # 93

Stick & String your right theres all kinds of ways and technics when building a simple lam bow, everything about my statics including the glue-up form mirrors my Phenom r/d flatbow all thats different is the static tips.

JD

Timo
Charter Member
Member # 180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timo   Email Timo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very well done J.D. I'm watching in earnest!

--------------------
(Enny o yuns know ware thu heart o a stumpytail izz??)

Posts: 4781 | From: Hickory co.Mo. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralph Renfro
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1398

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Ralph Renfro   Email Ralph Renfro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way cool JD! You got my fever up so I finally went to the shop and roughed out the billets for my takedown. Just had to make some yeller dust. I see the three apprentices from Norman aren't around. Bet you can get a lot more accomplished that way. I've got a little story for you. Ralph [knothead]

--------------------
Building Bows Is Only Half The Fun, The Other Half Is Passing That Knowledge On!

Posts: 938 | From: Chase, Kansas | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris R
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris R   Author's Homepage   Email Chris R   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by the Ferret:

Finally a build along by someone that knows what they are doing [bigsmyl]

[thumbsup]

Awesome static. [thumbsup]

Chris

--------------------
DAN!(Defeat Autism Now!)

Posts: 441 | From: Plymouth, OH | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©