JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » Bamboo backed static build along (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Bamboo backed static build along
the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Ferret   Author's Homepage   Email the Ferret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris why the frowny face after my quote?

That statement was made as a compliment to the generosity and expertise of a man who makes awesome bows,is a true expert at it (in my opinion one of the top 3 wood bow builders in the country), and could make a living from doing it. (as opposed to a wood hack like myself)

--------------------
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Posts: 12891 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZStickman
Charter Member
Member # 16

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZStickman   Author's Homepage   Email AZStickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't agree with ya more Mickey.... this is a special treat and I'm eating it up...... [Big Grin] .. Terry

--------------------
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 2688 | From: Mesa, AZ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZStickman
Charter Member
Member # 16

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZStickman   Author's Homepage   Email AZStickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man JD you make that Bandsaw work look easy...Very nice..... Terry

--------------------
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 2688 | From: Mesa, AZ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris R
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris R   Author's Homepage   Email Chris R   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ferret, [thumbsup] if you're a hack, I'd hate to see where I fall in line [Roll Eyes] Guys like JD Jones , Dean, Rusty, yourself and the rest are what make guys like me want to build bows.

Guys, I did have a frown after the quote, definately a thumbs up though, bad day and I read his quote wrong.

JD, I can't wait to see how this bow finishes.

Chris

--------------------
DAN!(Defeat Autism Now!)

Posts: 441 | From: Plymouth, OH | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Leemans
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 79

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Leemans   Email Tom Leemans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"ok heres a recurve thats been took off the form"

I like how J.D. types. You can hear his Oklahoma drawl. [laffsmyl]

--------------------
Got wood? - Tom

Posts: 4847 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingnut
SPONSOR - Charter Member
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wingnut   Author's Homepage   Email wingnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
J.D.,

Dang now ya got me wanting to build a dang static and I don't even like recurves. [bigsmyl]
Nice tip on the use of dry heat while the wood is on the cull. I'll try that on the selfbows that I straighten on a cull.

I sure would like to come up one of these weekends and learn a thing or two.

Now get to work and finish this thing.

Mike

--------------------
www.dryadbows.com
www.dryadbows.com/helleknives/index.htm

http://www.facebook.com/dryadbows?ref=ts
TRADGANG Sponsor since day 1

Posts: 9369 | From: weatherford, texas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'46
Contributor 2014
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted      Profile for '46   Email '46   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JD...Wow!, and thanks.

How come it all comes together without a hitch when you do it? [Smile]

geo

--------------------
George
_------------->

Posts: 1586 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocdoc
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rocdoc   Email rocdoc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's odd Tom......I couln't tell nothin' strange 'bout his typin'. Sounds like perfic anglish ta me.

--------------------
"The crappy stuff makes you a better bowyer, but the good stuff makes better bows"....Ferret

Posts: 1444 | From: Sapulpa, OK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tom sawyer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 497

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tom sawyer   Email tom sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I spent all that time rasping my bamboo down to near thickness, when I had the bandsaw sitting there. That alone was worth the time reading this thread. And I like the additional heating of the bent area, I do this a lot of times when I have a piece of wood on a form. Although, I think I've actually got some stuff too dry from being overly zealous about heat treating. Too dry resulting in that popping sound you hear just before your bow becomes a volunteer takedown.

--------------------
Lennie aka "Tom Thumbs"
"It is better to give than receive- especially advice." Mark Twain

Posts: 1955 | From: Hannibal, MO | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
horseapple
Contributor 2018
Member # 93

Icon 1 posted      Profile for horseapple   Author's Homepage   Email horseapple   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lennie... just be carefull when using the bandsaw for reducing the boo, might not have any boo left on one side:) Also when I add dry heat to the bending area I'm realy just heating the metal strap which helps from not scorching the osage.

JD

Posts: 994 | From: Ada, OK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tom sawyer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 497

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tom sawyer   Email tom sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as my fingers are the same length when I'm through, I consider my badnsawing effort to be successful. Grass grows fast, fingers don't.

--------------------
Lennie aka "Tom Thumbs"
"It is better to give than receive- especially advice." Mark Twain

Posts: 1955 | From: Hannibal, MO | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stick & String
Member # 2185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stick & String   Email Stick & String   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JD, what size/type of bandsaw do you use? Is there a size you would suggest for cutting osage and other hard woods? I'll be looking for a used one down the road and need suggestions on hp ratings, size(12",14"), and manufacturer. Anyone heard of a Cummings Industrial Tool Band Saw? They send me a flyer this week and had a new 14", 3/4hp on sale for $229. Is this a good deal or piece of crapola?

S&S

--------------------
Stick & String

Posts: 41 | From: SE Indiana (Cincinnati) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
horseapple
Contributor 2018
Member # 93

Icon 1 posted      Profile for horseapple   Author's Homepage   Email horseapple   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
S&S My bandsaw is an older type 12" craftsman, I've had it about 9yrs... it has a 1.8horse motor which is plenty enough to cut osage up to 4" thick, its been a workhorse for me but I know its limits, having a 3-T.P.I. blade is mainly what I use.... the cummings that you tal;k about is one of the taiwany made type, about the same as the Harbor Freight crap, stay away form them... If I was in the market to get another it would be a 14" delta, jet or grizzly, lots have been said about these three, even tho none are american made.

JD

Posts: 994 | From: Ada, OK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Leemans
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 79

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Leemans   Email Tom Leemans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
S&S I don't hesitate to buy Grizzly power tools. They're great people and their stuff is made to tighter tolerances. They have a 3/4 horse 14" saw for $320 and a 1hp 14" for $375. The 3/4 horse will serve you well for your purposes for years to come. It's the same saw they've been using at MoJam for 3 years. Someone finally managed to break a shaft on it last year but I'm sure a LOT of proper sawing practices were being violated to cause the failure. I'm surprized it went THAT long before breaking.

--------------------
Got wood? - Tom

Posts: 4847 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rainman
Contributor 2017
Member # 1185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rainman   Email rainman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
S&S, it all depends on how much you want to spend on your bandsaw. Like J.D. said it is important to use the right blade for the job and make sure your saw is tuned properly. The big four mfg are Delta, Jet, Grizzly, and Powermatic. Delta does have one bandsaw being made in the U.S. That is their X5 series 14 inch, cost is $900. In my opinion the best 14" being made today is the powermatic: 1.5 horsepower, Carter bandsaw guides, 4" dusport, and a quick release blade tension release. Any of the above mentioned bandsaw have good warranties, Jet, Delta, and Powrmatic also have service centers in most big cities if anything goes wrong.

Semper Fi
Dan Raney

--------------------
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Posts: 967 | From: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©