JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » Laminated all Wood bow & matching turkey box call (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Laminated all Wood bow & matching turkey box call
Osagetree
Contributor 2007
Member # 5116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osagetree   Author's Homepage   Email Osagetree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CJONES- I live in South Point, Ohio.

DCM- Could you describe this wrapping method you use in more detail? Please!

--------------------
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Posts: 3900 | From: Ohio, South Point | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osagetree
Contributor 2007
Member # 5116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osagetree   Author's Homepage   Email Osagetree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot to mention,,, being critical is fine with me,,, feel free!

Had my hand wrapped under it at one point ,,, Felt like enough pressure but what do I know?

The impailing will be fine when that side of tube is doubled up.

--------------------

Posts: 3900 | From: Ohio, South Point | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osagetree
Contributor 2007
Member # 5116

Rough layout on the hickory backing,,, getting it down to size for glue up in the form. Then, with a belt sander, I will finish the edges to the lines after glue up.

-

Using the hickory to draw outline on osage slat.
 -

Cutting it just outside the lines,, I can take off wood quick with the band saw, but I can't get it back on there, so I leave it outside the lines.
 -

Close enough for me
 -

The handle on my layout is 4" with 1 & 1/2" fades! I want to leave the handle area thick and shape it last,,, Undecided on handle style!

Maybe something like the last self bow I built, sort of a hybrid style,, so to speak.

Here is a picture of that handle, see what I mean?
 -

--------------------

Osagetree
Contributor 2007
Member # 5116

I am going to glue it up in the form that I made from scrap wood!
 -

Get every thing close to hand. I don't know how quick this glue will set up.
 -

Mix up the URAC 185, and use a sponge brush to apply the glue
 -

Glue up both sides,,, maybe a little to much? But I say that's better than not enough!
 -

I thought this old wood roller I got from my Great Grand Father may help even out the glue line a bit,
 -

Center the osage core and hickory backing and clamp it down in the middle to hold it steady. I used a layer of seran wrap between the clamps and glue. This will help to keep it from getting to messy.
 -

--------------------

Osagetree
Contributor 2007
Member # 5116

At the clamp in the handle area of the bow blank, I started wrapping each limb from the center out to the tips,
 -

Alternating limbs about every three or four bands that I wrap over the bow to keep the pressure and limbs uniform.
 -

Laying a rubber stip under the last two or three to pull down over the tips and make sure there is good contact,
 -

I was not finshed until I took a thin strip of wood (sort of like a pressure strip) some ace bandages and placed two clamps over blocks of thin cedar just to increase the pressure a bit more.
 -

I could only get the shop up to 60 degrees so I took it in the house for a couple days to cure.

[moon] To be continued!

--------------------

Osagetree
Contributor 2007
Member # 5116

--------------------

Osagetree
Contributor 2007
Member # 5116

Had a little excess glue run out and around everything. Got it out of the form and un-wrapped the seran wrap. looks like it took pretty good. As far as having plenty of glue on it!
 -

Reflex looks fairly even,
 -

I am ready to grind it down to the profile lines and see what the glue lines look like.
 -

The Handle and the fades are makeded a total of 7" right now,,, but I left room for change..

I have to glue on a laminated handle,,,

--------------------

Osagetree
Contributor 2007
Member # 5116

using a belt sander I got the glue off and got it down to the profile lines I had draw out on the hickory backing earlier.

I was skeptical myself, but the glue lines look good to me,,, but what do I know.
 -
 -

1 1/2" reflex induced by the form and glue up held up pretty well.
 -

--------------------

DCM
Charter Member
Member # 107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DCM   Email DCM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm sorry I didn't get back into your thread Osagetree. I don't know how I missed it. Looks like the bands worked out fine.

This is not really typical of how I do most bows but demonstrates the principle. I use more wraps generally and no backer (a broom handle ripped in 1/2) for boo. I have started tapering my core more and usually put reflex and deflex in a glue up.

http://home.midsouth.rr.com/ddmims/hoh1.JPG

Looks like your project is coming along nicely. You gonna do the handle glue up next?

Man that box call is cool as Christmas.

Posts: 1316 | From: Memphis, Tn | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osagetree
Contributor 2007
Member # 5116

Well got back around to this project today.

Since my last post I added a handle overlay and laminated on a handle. I did not get many pictures of its construction or of when I cut in the center shot shelf. Sorry, I just forgot about taking them.

-

Cherry, Walnut and Osage

-

Glue up the handle pieces and begin shaping the handle
 -

-

Last time I was working on the bow, I was trying to thin out the hickory backing. PROBLEM! About 6" from the tips I got below 3/16" thick on the backing. [Mad]
My solution was to add extra long 5 1/2" tip overlays to reinforce the backing. Keeping with the box call theme, I incorperated the osage, cherry and walnut.

I don't know if this overlay solution will work and remember when looking at the pics, the tillering has yet to begin.

Tips before overlays

-

Tip With overlays

-

-

Everything is still rough at this point. I will touch up the handle and round over the edges on the hickory backing before starting on the tillering.

This is my first laminated bow and I have not read up on the how to's do's and dont's except from ideas gathered on this site.

--------------------

benzy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for benzy   Email benzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osagetree, looks good to me, but what do I know. (founder of the newby for life club)
I want do make something similar, so I'm very interested in this thread. Have you discovered any, "I'll do that differently on the next one" situations yet?

Rob

Posts: 452 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osagetree
Contributor 2007
Member # 5116

The only thing I can think of right now on the, I should've thing,,,, is getting the backing thinned down before the glue up.
Not many comments on this thread,,, maybe it's like if you aint got nothing nice to say don't say it at all!

Or it's just boring [moon]

--------------------

WaKeDa BT
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WaKeDa BT         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in shut up and pay attention mode. Please carry on.

--------------------
"Shoot'em when they ain't lookin"

Posts: 2690 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Ferret   Author's Homepage   Email the Ferret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice profile on that bow Joe but the handle looks kinda complicated...sorta like a wooden handled compound ha ha albeit a pretty one. [Wink]

--------------------
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Posts: 12891 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osagetree
Contributor 2007
Member # 5116

Trying to round over the edges of the hickory backing, I am using a #220 sanding belt. Someone wise described its finished edge should be as "like a garden pea".

-

I also read a post on here, some where's said "Hickory loves burnishing, it needs it". I took a socket to just test it on the edge. I see what the guy meant. The hickory just shined right up like you had put finish oil on it. The more I rubbed the harder and shiny it looked.
I thought if I hooked up something in a drill chuck, I could really get some speed and friction going,,, I may try it.

-

Sorry about the pics, I can not get any closer shots than that! Camera is cheap!!

Mickey, I like the profile also. It may end up with a little reflex after shooting a bit! If it makes it! It aint going to have no wheels,,,no matter what the handle looks like! LOL
I saw your recent post,,, Them Turk's were pulled in your back yard by the "MOJO" I put on your box call.(just kidding) Did the scratch box call ever come around?

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©