JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » Straightening River Cane..pictorial (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Straightening River Cane..pictorial
ber643
Contributor 2013
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ber643   Author's Homepage   Email ber643   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This looks neat and I love the one Dano sent me. Gotta get me some to mess wit, now that I'm messin' with dowels. (In NC, huh? Hmmmm I live just a hoot n' a holler from a river). Some pre quest questions for Mickey (or anyone): 15 to 16 ft? Does that mean you get a number of shafts from one shoot or is most of it too small (or large)? What can you tell us about spine, or do we go native and just keep the good fliers? When do you harvest and how long do you let dry, etc. (This has probably all been covered but repetition may make it sink in.)

--------------------
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 21451 | From: S Coastal NC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RonT
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RonT   Email RonT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip, Mickey, I'll follow up on these leads.
R

--------------------
Spes Mea in Deo Est

Posts: 312 | From: Shelby,Ohio | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conlaoch
Member # 4113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for conlaoch   Email conlaoch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mikey,

So does that meean that you shoot them large end forward? And do you worry about spining or weighing them?

Conlaoch

Posts: 21 | From: Maryland | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dano
Contributor 2009
Member # 748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dano   Author's Homepage   Email Dano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Bernie!! Your going to want to cut cane longer than you need for drying/checking purposes. Cut 1/2" shoots bundle em real tight and let em dry for 6 or 8 months, like any thing else it's worth the wait. [Wink]

--------------------
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Posts: 7519 | From: Nevada | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ber643
Contributor 2013
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ber643   Author's Homepage   Email ber643   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Dano, when do you cut them - summer, fall?

--------------------

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 21451 | From: S Coastal NC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dano
Contributor 2009
Member # 748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dano   Author's Homepage   Email Dano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If we had any here, I'd cut it about now, or at least before it gets too hot. I don't think it really matters when, maybe some of the cane cuttin pros will show up.

--------------------
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Posts: 7519 | From: Nevada | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Ferret   Author's Homepage   Email the Ferret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK found my pics
Here's a batch of wild cane growing

-

There are male and female stalks....some have sheaths and some have leaves..I forget which is which

-

[ June 11, 2011, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Rob DiStefano ]

--------------------
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Posts: 12891 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Ferret   Author's Homepage   Email the Ferret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyhow you wander around the patch looking for some that might make suitable arrows, cut them and remove the sheaths and leaves

-

They will be all green like above and crooked like below

-

[ June 11, 2011, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Rob DiStefano ]

--------------------
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Posts: 12891 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ber643
Contributor 2013
Member # 72

Where do you get yours, Dano? I don't know if it grows here - in this part of NC, yet. Have to ask around. Good pics, Mickey - looks familiar but not sure why or from where.

--------------------

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Take a dozen and bundle them up together. Some guys face 1/2 one way and 1/2 facing the other way, some bundle them against a broom stick. Once bundled hang them in a dry warm place for about 8 weeks. Some guys get them out periodically, unwrap, straighten and then bundle them back up again. When you get them out again they will be a lighter green but hard. Set them in the sun for a coupleof days and they will turn a golden tan color and will be ready to be straightened.

-

Like osage many cut this years now and will get them out to make arrows out of them next spring.

-

--------------------

Dano
Contributor 2009
Member # 748

The female is the one on the right with the flowers. I've been told the female is the best (imagine that) [Big Grin] I've gotten most of my cane from good friends. Up here we have what's call phragmitis, it does'nt mature like cane or bamboo.

--------------------

the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Here's a good example of just how far river cane can be bent without breaking while hot

-

Once it cools it will be hard in this shape

--------------------

RB
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RB   Email RB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mickey's a hoot ain't he? [thumbsup]
Posts: 203 | From: KY | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ber643
Contributor 2013
Member # 72

My wife tells me there is a woman down the way that says she has cane behind her property where a little drain creek runs. Don't know if it is the right kind but have to check it out. Course she also told our neighbor to be careful as ther were lots of Mocasins back there too. Yikes! Little early for them though - and cool.

--------------------

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Timo
Charter Member
Member # 180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timo   Email Timo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice again Mickey. Is that an egg in the bowl?

Bending those in that shape,makes me think about an ABO croquet set? Nice primitive wickets!

Great job little buddy.:thumbsup:BTW, sent the book today.

--------------------
(Enny o yuns know ware thu heart o a stumpytail izz??)

Posts: 4781 | From: Hickory co.Mo. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©