JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » deer cut up along (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: deer cut up along
Tom Leemans
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 79

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Leemans   Email Tom Leemans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dang, I am hungry now. I can remember a particularly good season where we had a "deer processing day". There was something like 7 or 8 deer to do that day. We cut some chops from one of the loins, cleaned off a big piece of steel and laid it on the barrel stove and cooked them babies up with butter, right there on the stove.

--------------------
Got wood? - Tom

Posts: 4847 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meathook
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 67

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meathook   Author's Homepage   Email Meathook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is something I just started doing.

I start the slow cooker with a bag of dry onion soup mix and some water. As I am cutting and come across a piece like the shanks (fore and aft)or any other semi tough or fibrous piece. I toss them in the slow cooker. Let everything cook for 5-6 hours or more. Then turn it off. When the meat is mostly cool. You will notice most of the bad stuff has melted away. The stuff that hasn't you can pull off. I then take this delicious seasoned meat and vacuum seal it for sandwiches. Nothing like onion soup seasoned venison with some horseradish sauce on good bread.

You can also cook it unseasoned as well and grind it for spaghetti meat or for other places some cooked ground works. Or seal it as is and pull out a package and mix it with BBQ sauce for some pulled venison. Or even make a soup.

For me I end up throwing a lot less meat out that I get frustrated trying to get totally cleaned up. I let the cooking separate it and it is delicious.

--------------------
"Go ahead and run ya gotta sleep sometime." - Meathook's Mom

Posts: 4111 | From: Western NY | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JockC
Contributor 2014
Member # 3082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JockC   Email JockC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Until reading Shaun's hanging post I had forgotten what a pain hanging a deer alone was after a day of hunting. Scent, hair, blood, fat, and ticks all over me and my sore muscles.. I bought a gambrel on sale and a chain block used a few years back, smile every time I use them, and wonder what the hell took me so long.

--------------------
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Posts: 331 | From: Evaro, Montana | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bbassi
Contributor 2008
Member # 8068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bbassi   Email bbassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Tute Shawn. Man, for a buck, that deer sure had a lot of fat on it!

FYI - Speaking of fat, here's one for all the bird watchers/feeders here. Birds LOVE deer fat. We have done experiments with hanging onion bags of deer fat next to beef fat. The birds will usually completely consume the deer fat before they touch the beef fat.

--------------------
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 1731 | From: upstate NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little Tree
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Tree   Author's Homepage   Email Little Tree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great post Shaun, got me thinking about a winter trip down there to cut some hedge and eat like a king in your kitchen! I need you to help me in the recipe department, the best venison I have ever had was about the half dozen times you have prepared it! These last two bucks of mine I was able to age just perfectly in an almost constant 38-40 degress for about 5-6 days. The deep redness completely converted to a beautiful rosy pink!, even the sirloin. Most of the cuts were completely relaxed. Should be some good stuff. That big 200lb. nine pointer is some of the most tender meat I have ever had. I am going down to pull some out of the freezer right now! Thanks again for the thread esp. the three separate pieces of round.
Posts: 659 | From: viroqua, WI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachbowhunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 3597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachbowhunter   Email beachbowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shaun, I need help following your first instruction...

"get one of these...." [Mad]

Thanks!

--------------------
Ishi was a Californian [Cool]

Posts: 3317 | From: CA ... where the turf meets the surf | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Leemans
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 79

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Leemans   Email Tom Leemans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Meathook-
I do the same thing but I put in some beef broth sometimes.

--------------------
Got wood? - Tom

Posts: 4847 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinecone
Contributor 2007
Member # 1931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinecone   Email Pinecone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, Shaun!

Claudia

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2260 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deadsmple
Contributor 2008
Member # 5050

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Deadsmple   Email Deadsmple   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job [thumbsup] I'm with you all the way. I too think the ribs are a waste of my time.

By the way, nice beetle. what year is she? I'm no expert but if that's a factory color I'm guessing '72?

--------------------
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Posts: 879 | From: Rattlesnake Mountain New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaun
SPONSOR
Member # 2320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaun   Email Shaun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No the crankshaft was not cut out of the deer, though it might be good with the "old boot" braise method.

Yep, its a '72 Superbeetle restoration. Changed from factory orange to factory green. Trying to drive my way into a flashback. Nearly ready for roadtrippin'.

--------------------
www.taurusbows.com

Posts: 5099 | From: Iowa City,IA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VA Bowbender
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VA Bowbender   Author's Homepage   Email VA Bowbender   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't read every post, but what did you do with the shoulders?

--------------------
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Posts: 708 | From: Stafford, VA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaun
SPONSOR
Member # 2320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaun   Email Shaun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
V A, I bone out the shoulders and use this for stews, chili, or grind for burger. Shoulder meat goes in packages marked "boned shoulder", and into the freezer. I prefer to make the decision about what to use each part for as the cooking muse directs me later rather than make them into finished or specialty cuts while butchering. Meat also keeps longer in large cuts rather than smaller steaks, pieces or ground.

--------------------
www.taurusbows.com

Posts: 5099 | From: Iowa City,IA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coop
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coop   Email Coop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good job Shaun! [Smile]

I started a few years ago cutting up my own deer and it was one of the best skills I learned.

BTW I got to see Shaun's VW in person and it's in really nice shape. I have always liked those old beetles.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Posts: 670 | From: Acme, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walkingstick
Charter Member
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walkingstick   Email Walkingstick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome job Shaun...after seeing so many deer stacked like cordwood, some smelling like fox bait at processors I learned to take care of my own the very same way that you do. I do my steaks and loins and the rest is either jerky or summer sausage. Just smoked 30 pounds of sausage on Tuesday. thanks for sharing with the gang. I will admit I use a vacuum sealer today for all my meats and like the quality over time much better than paper but of course it's just me and mom now. Once again...great job. [thumbsup] [thumbsup] ...............Mac~

--------------------
" I always hunt with two other companions even though I mostly hunt alone - God and my dad."
God's love is like an ocean..one can see the beginning but not the end.

Posts: 2270 | From: Westfield, PA-Potter County | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcbrown
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcbrown   Email kcbrown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been doing ours the same way for years. Thanks for sharing with us.

--------------------
She said " did you see that?" He said "Of course!!!" She said " Why did you step in it then?"

Posts: 352 | From: Irvington Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©