JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » Knife building ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Knife building ...
RGK
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RGK   Email RGK       Edit/Delete Post 
I need help. [help] I figured that if I”m going to keep making knives that I better get some supplies. I went to a woodworking store to buy some exotic woods. I was like a kid in a candy store. I bought some Bubinga, Paduck, Bloodwood, Purple heart, Coco bolo and a small piece of hard maple burl.

-

I also went through my stash of saw blades. I don’t have a shortage of them.

-

I jumped right into to by starting a new knife. This is going to be another drop point blade out of a .08 think 10 inch circular saw blade. A file told me it was good and hard

-

This drop point will have hunting type blade.

-

I used the Dremmel tool to cut the knife out of the saw blade. I should leave the saw teth on the back side. LOL

-

With a little grinding and polishing, it cleans up well.

-

To add a little bit of style to the knife, I used a round chainsaw file on the backbone of the blade. I didn’t go very deep.

-

[ April 15, 2007, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: Rob DiStefano ]

--------------------
Member: WI Bowhunters Association
Member: WI Traditional Archers
Member: American Broadhead Collectors Club
Member: Sherwood Forest Bowmen

Posts: 887 | From: SE WI | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RGK
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RGK   Email RGK       Edit/Delete Post 
I then used gun bluing on the file work and then polished away everything but what was in the grooves. I think it adds a nice touch to the look of the blade.

-

-

-

In order to drill the pin holes, I needed to soften the steel. I used a MAP gas tourch and slowly heated the tang.

-

-

-

Then I drilled the holes.

-

I cleaned up the blade again and added the bevel.

-

--------------------
Member: WI Bowhunters Association
Member: WI Traditional Archers
Member: American Broadhead Collectors Club
Member: Sherwood Forest Bowmen

Posts: 887 | From: SE WI | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marblesonac
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marblesonac   Email Marblesonac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!! Very nice work.

--------------------
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Posts: 887 | From: Fort Wayne, IN | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff U
Contributing Member 2006
Member # 4189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff U   Email Jeff U   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Not Worthy] [Not Worthy] [Not Worthy]
Posts: 438 | From: Alexandria, Virginia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JEFF B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JEFF B   Email JEFF B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey mate good looking blade

--------------------
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Posts: 9466 | From: Baylys Beach New Zealand | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crashcastle
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crashcastle   Email crashcastle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well think im gonna be saving money on starrett steel now this looks about as easy

--------------------
Please god let me live just more day in the woods.

Posts: 207 | From: Mineral Wells ,Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matty
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 10632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matty   Email Matty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
K- so youre saying I can do this tomorrow in my....Kitchen
Posts: 4142 | From: Fort Collins,Colorado | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Killdeer
Contributor 2016
Member # 437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Killdeer   Author's Homepage   Email Killdeer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's daylight!! Get back to work!!

Killdeer [knothead]

--------------------
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Posts: 15439 | From: Fibber McGee's Closet, VA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bentpole
Contributor 2014
Member # 6180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentpole   Email bentpole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't wait to see the end results!
Posts: 7480 | From: pequannock n.j. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©