JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » Feather splice-along 2.0 (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Feather splice-along 2.0
RGK
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RGK   Email RGK       Edit/Delete Post 
Great instruction.

--------------------
Member: WI Bowhunters Association
Member: WI Traditional Archers
Member: American Broadhead Collectors Club
Member: Sherwood Forest Bowmen

Posts: 887 | From: SE WI | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brettlandon
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brettlandon   Email brettlandon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of my favorite build-alongs ever! You forgot some things on your list though. 1500 watts of high intensity quartz halogen light and one or two pair of bifocal glasses (or jewler specs), these are essential for this level of detail. [bigsmyl]

Maybe I'll teach my kids how to do this...nah, better buy them already done. Much safer that way! [biglaugh]

-Brett

--------------------
Excellence is achieved, not purchased.

Posts: 431 | From: Minburn, Iowa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bard1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bard1   Email Bard1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by brettlandon:
This is one of my favorite build-alongs ever! You forgot some things on your list though. 1500 watts of high intensity quartz halogen light and one or two pair of bifocal glasses (or jewler specs), these are essential for this level of detail. [bigsmyl]

-Brett

Thanks Brett!
If you guys and gals have any questions, please ask away or send me a pm.

--------------------
got arrows?

Posts: 749 | From: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BMN
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BMN   Email BMN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great thread Derek! Thanks so much!

Have you ever tried stripping the membrain and frills off the splice piece and then cutting it to the size you need? I've seen it done this way and wondered if it has any advantages or disadvantages to sanding off the base as you have shown.

Bill

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Posts: 1495 | From: Overland Park, Kansas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bard1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bard1   Email Bard1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*thinking* no I have never tried it that way. At least not on the store bought died turky feathers. I have done it that way with real wild turky feathers. I strip the feather off the quill and then splice it in with no sanding. Your idea has merit BMN. It would be worth trying. The potential problem I see is damaging the frill attachment at the membrain but other then that... Wow thanks I am gonna try this!

--------------------
got arrows?

Posts: 749 | From: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jrchambers
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jrchambers   Email jrchambers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i found that mine turned out cleaner if i chopped and flethced the arow first then cut in the splice and use some fly tying scisors to make it all even, i think it is because i use a az easy fletch kinda rough on the splice.
Posts: 1158 | From: kenai alaska | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walt Francis
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walt Francis   Email Walt Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Derek, great tutorial!! I needed another excuse to spend some time in my archery room.

--------------------
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 5568 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hera
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hera     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great tutorial. [clapper] [clapper]
Posts: 911 | From: Taiwan | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tradtusker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tradtusker   Email tradtusker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good job thanks Brad! [thumbsup] [clapper]

--------------------
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Posts: 4140 | From: African in Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blueline
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16614

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueline   Email blueline   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for taking the time to teach your craft.

Mutch appreaciated

blueline

--------------------
Blueline

Mahaska 66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Posts: 390 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SOS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SOS   Email SOS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome...thanks!
Posts: 1623 | From: Augusta, GA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Surtees
Contributor 2010
Member # 1349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Surtees   Email Chris Surtees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] [clapper]
Posts: 8060 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bakes168
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bakes168   Author's Homepage   Email Bakes168   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! That's a beautiful feather.

Bakes

--------------------
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Posts: 574 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bard1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6747

Back by popular demand...wel ok some one asked me how I do my splicing and instead of doing this ALLLLLL over again I am brining it back up to the top.

--------------------
got arrows?

TimZeigler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TimZeigler   Author's Homepage   Email TimZeigler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] Thats good stuff right there. Should move that one to the "How To" section.

--------------------
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters Member
Bowhunters of South Carolina-County Rep (Dorchester)

Posts: 1662 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©