JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » padded loop skinny endless string spinning video - 124 megs (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: padded loop skinny endless string spinning video - 124 megs
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
geez, it's taken me months to find the time to put together something digital on how i spin strings, but fellow trad ganger larry smeen and i put together some footage this past wednesday. it shows me using the unistrut endless jig i built, spinning up a 2 color, 60-1/4", 8 strand dyneema'02, padded loop (dacron), skinny string for a 62" 55# mohawk longbow.

some video caveats ...

this is an uncut, unedited raw video. so you get to hear and see some bloopers.

there are annoying clicks and pops courtesy of a cheap squeeky tripod.

the original video is dvd quality and a 720 wide 1.7 gig mpg file. the best i could do, for now, is to convert to a wmv file that's 124 megs in filesize, sorry.

post script - about an hour after finishing the videoing, i accidentally knocked the 20# string jig off the table, sending the end of the unistrut into the top of my right foot ... larry drove me to the er and 3 stitches later the bleeding stopped. stuff happens, eh?

after a few dayze, this post will get moved to the how-to forum.

spinning a padded loop skinny bowstring

[ August 22, 2009, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Rob DiStefano ]

--------------------
IAM ~ Black Powder Gang ~ TANJ ~ TGMM ~ NRA Patriot Life ~ NRA RSO

Posts: 10052 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swampwalker
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 11394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swampwalker   Email swampwalker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Rob!
Posts: 487 | From: Oakland Cty. Mi. | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tilbilly
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tilbilly   Email Tilbilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"this is an uncut, unedited raw video..."

I sent the youngins outta the room before playing it. [Big Grin]

Seriously, I've had alot of use for the one I made with your plans. Can't say thanx enuf.

--------------------
The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 525 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianO
Contributor 2017
Member # 8528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrianO   Email BrianO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks alot for your time and info. Im gonna go type one now.
Posts: 298 | From: Northeast Arkansas | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
limbow
2017 Contributor
Member # 5003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for limbow   Email limbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!! I have found this to be very helpful!

--------------------
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Posts: 2459 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Martin
Contributor 2016
Member # 3972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Martin   Email Bruce Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was an excellent demonstration. At the risk of being slightly off topic, what advantages do you see for an endless string vs. a flemish twist?
Posts: 194 | From: Florence, South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yellow bow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow bow   Author's Homepage   Email yellow bow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was excellent! Thanks Rob. [thumbsup]
Posts: 2171 | From: new jersey | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveB
SPONSOR
Member # 51

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveB   Author's Homepage   Email SteveB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent Rob!!!

Some questions - can you try to explain the amount of tension you use on your server?

Can you tell us about the wax you use?

Last - did the stitches hurt? [Smile]

Thanks
Steve

--------------------
http://mountainmufflerstrings.com/

Posts: 1310 | From: Central NY | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LC
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LC   Email LC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool thanks for taking the time to make that video.

--------------------
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Posts: 1223 | From: Morgantown, WV | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
flemish or endless? both will get the job done extremely well! i like endless because it will clone any string perfectly on the first spin, and they are extremely precise.

--------------------

Posts: 10052 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i like serving tension to be on the tight side, but not TIGHT. if the spool starts to drag/bind even a little bit, the tension is too tight.

i use beeswax.

the stitching up didn't hurt a bit, thanx to novocaine - it was the loss of blood that had me scared, it was a gusher!

a new and much improved spinning video is in the planning.

--------------------

Killdeer
Contributor 2016
Member # 437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Killdeer   Author's Homepage   Email Killdeer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
False advertising!!!
That "endless" string video ended! Bummer!

And did you really say "serve that #*%$^&*?"
Killdeer [Eek!]
~Always get tape.

--------------------
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Posts: 15439 | From: Fibber McGee's Closet, VA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Martin
Contributor 2016
Member # 3972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Martin   Email Bruce Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the explanation on why endless. I noticed as I build flemish strings sometimes I'm not so precise and so I may have to twist more or less to get brace height. If the string is too long, it's just going to weigh more, so some of the benefits of a lighter string are diminished. Now (as if I need one)another reason to tinker in the shop and build a spinner jig for endless strings.
Posts: 194 | From: Florence, South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

quote:
Originally posted by Killdeer:
False advertising!!!
That "endless" string video ended! Bummer!

kinda like 'the endless summer' ....

And did you really say "serve that #*%$^&*?"

insert q-tip, remove ear wax - 'serve this puppy' [Big Grin]

Killdeer [Eek!]
~Always get tape.

--------------------

Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Martin:
Thanks for the explanation on why endless. I noticed as I build flemish strings sometimes I'm not so precise and so I may have to twist more or less to get brace height. If the string is too long, it's just going to weigh more, so some of the benefits of a lighter string are diminished. Now (as if I need one)another reason to tinker in the shop and build a spinner jig for endless strings.

fwiw, i also believe there's no benefit to tons of string twist - makes for a spring-like effect that's not a good thing.

the how-to forum has a pictorial thread for building the super simple unistrut endless jig.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©