JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » This years turkey challange..."Ghillie up"! (video up with finished product P.4) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: This years turkey challange..."Ghillie up"! (video up with finished product P.4)
rastaman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rastaman   Email rastaman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] Thanks Curt! i hope this ends up under the "how to" section. Good stuff!

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

[archer]

Randy Keene

Posts: 7156 | From: georgia | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guru
Admin
Member # 616

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guru   Email Guru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Installment 3:

With the suit about done as far as tying material to it. It was time to move on the head piece.

I went to Walmart and bought a $7 "boonie type" hat. I found this type hat over a ball cap because with a brim all around, it keeps the material off my ears, and makes it easier to "round out" the head/shoulder area to hide the "human looking" silhouette.

I started by slicing the top of the hat to allow heat to escape easily. Then started tying the netting on band in a couple spots, then cut slits in several spots around the entire brim and tied the netting on there. Trim the netting around the front, leave it a little longer on the sides, and as long as you choose in the back to drape over the back/ shoulder area...
•  -

•  -

•  -

Kinda goofy looking, but I had to tie back the brim a bit in the front for bowstring clearance. Material is kept short in the front as well so as not to interfere with my bowstring...
•  -

Could probably add a little more to it, but it's got plenty of texture, and the more I add, I think the hotter it'll get...
•  -

Up next...Ghillie'n up a glove for my bowhand

--------------------
Curt } >>--->

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting 3/19/06

Posts: 17671 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyclic-Rivers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 21222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking good Curt. Cant wait to see the final pics!

--------------------
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Mohawk Hudson Traditional Archers
NY Bowhunters

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Posts: 17182 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeerSpotter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeerSpotter   Author's Homepage   Email DeerSpotter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like you're doing a great job Curt,

but don't forget about deer, I use my galley suit for the first time last year, and I had a deer's nose within 1 foot of the back of my neck. I will never forget that experience, I've never been "busted" so close !, Keep up the good work

Carl

Posts: 1891 | From: St. Paul,MN | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Morin
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Morin   Email Randy Morin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats sweet Curt. You are gonna get a real kick out of sitting in that thing with a few gobblers at your feet. I dare ya to put the dekes about 4 yards from your feet. [Eek!]
Cant wait to see a action shot when your complete.

Posts: 1770 | From: montana | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timmy c
Member # 22290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timmy c   Email timmy c   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep on notting Curt looking good
Posts: 21 | From: chester,new york | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guru
Admin
Member # 616

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guru   Email Guru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Installment 4:

Ghillie'n your gloves, or one glove in this case.

I just wanted to do my bow hand to offer some additional cover out front at full draw, and to also try to help hide some movement.

Get an old glove and a small piece of left over netting. Then get your Goop(or sho-goo) and glue down the edges at several spots around the edge...
•  -

After the glue dries about an hour or so, start tying in till it's to you liking...
•  -

•  -

•  -

I ended up trimming some of the length off of the top side so as not to hinder my vision when shooting.

Using this glue on method, you can "ghillie-up" about any piece of clothing you wish to.

Up next...ghillie'n up my bow...

--------------------
Curt } >>--->

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting 3/19/06

Posts: 17671 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zbone
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zbone   Email Zbone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx for sharing
Posts: 1115 | From: Tuscarawas County, Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swampdrummer
Contributor 2016
Member # 20047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swampdrummer   Email swampdrummer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, theres a dead deer in your driveway! [Big Grin]
Great thread. I keep thinking about making up a suit. Just haven't gotten around to it yet

--------------------
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Posts: 910 | From: Venus Florida | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wapiti792
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 8137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wapiti792   Email wapiti792   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great thread Guru...I have been trying a screen blind all year after swearing off my pop-up when I don't have the kids. So far 3 half-draws and 3 very gone turkies. This looks much better! Good job!

--------------------
Mike Davenport

Posts: 3154 | From: Southern IL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmerc
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmerc   Author's Homepage   Email jimmerc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Job Curt, That thing is real nice! You'll love hunting with it, I made one up last winter out of jute and an old leafy wear suit, can't get over how close you can get to game with it on( too close sometimes) I had turkey in my lap and couldn't shoot last spring, and had it on when I shot my doe in nov. Critters just don't see you!!! Yours came out way nicer than mine!!!

--------------------
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Posts: 955 | From: cicero ny | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaPaFrank
Contributor 2015
Member # 10022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaPaFrank   Email PaPaFrank   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great job on the suit and thanks for taking us along. Do you plan on using your regular deer hunting/turkey hunting bow, or will you try for something a little shorter and easier to move around, while sitting so close to the ground?

--------------------
Keep it Simple
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS

Posts: 1990 | From: Northeast Ohio | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jonathan creason
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jonathan creason   Email jonathan creason   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great looking suit. Thanks for putting up the buildalong, too, that will be very helpful.

I've been wantiing to do one for a while now, but I really want to use sythetic materials. A good portion of our season here in NC can be pretty warm, and I'm so hot natured I break a sweat just getting out of my truck. Does anybody know where I can find the synthetic materials without buying a kit?

Posts: 428 | From: Cleveland, NC | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joevan125
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 20110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joevan125   Email joevan125   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guru that suit looks great please let us know how easy it is to shoot while wearing it.

Those thing look like they would be hard to shoot while wearing, thanks.

--------------------
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Posts: 2990 | From: Birmingham AL | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sendero25
Contributor 2008
Member # 13894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sendero25   Author's Homepage   Email sendero25   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking closer I think Curt de-capitated that deer with the pink frizbee!

--------------------
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Posts: 531 | From: Ocala, Florida | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©