JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » Spiral Flu-Flu, made easy......w/Pix (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Spiral Flu-Flu, made easy......w/Pix
Guru
Admin
Member # 616

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guru   Email Guru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today, between messing with a half lifesize bear, I thought I'd get some flu-flu's ready for the JLMBH....

I had some miss matched carbons, since they were flu-flu's, it didn't matter spine,weight and such...so I spun some up.....

Here's what ya need.....whatever shaft you'll use, some full length feathers, a clamp or two(the more you have, the more you can do at one time while the other dry), sand paper, super glue, and something to cut with.......
 -

Quickly sand shaft in fletch area for a better bond. Strip a 1/4" of feather off in the front, just leaving the quill, then put a drop of glue on the shaft and put the stripped end down in the glue at an angle.....
 -

Then set your clamp pinching the stripped end down onto the shaft......
 -

Then set that shaft aside to dry for at least ten minutes.....

After a good ten minutes(make sure you leave it long enough to anchor well), remove the clamp and get ready to glue the rest.....
 -

Stick the end of the shaft under your arm to hold it and grab the end of the feather with one hand holding it out straight. With the other hand run a bead of glue up the feather to a spot where the feather will end(pre winding dry will tell you how much feather you'll need,if you have to,mark the spot).....
 -

Wind the glued feather up the shaft,keeping it tight, ending about 1"-1 1/2" from the nock. Set your clamp again, pinching down on the feather.......
 -
 -

Set aside for 20-30 minutes so the glue really has a chance to set well. Make sure you give it adequate time as the quill will try to lift/unwind if not allowed to dry well.......
 -

....hang on....

[ January 23, 2009, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: Guru ]

--------------------
Curt } >>--->

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting 3/19/06

Posts: 17666 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guru
Admin
Member # 616

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guru   Email Guru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After adequate drying, remove the clamp. Now you'll see where the glue ended as the feather will be lifted there.....
 -
 -

Now take your knife and cut the feather rite where the glue ended....
 -

Dab a drop of glue front and back of the feather...
 -

There ya have it.....
 -
 -

So depending on how far you want them to go, you may have to do some trimming.....spiral fletch flu-flu's slow down very fast!

Take them outside, test them out, and have a ball.....

<<HINT>> kids love them [jumper]

--------------------
Curt } >>--->

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting 3/19/06

Posts: 17666 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teacher_of_the_Arcane
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teacher_of_the_Arcane   Email Teacher_of_the_Arcane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool Stuff!!

--------------------
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Posts: 704 | From: Mountains of West Virginia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manny718
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manny718   Email manny718   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
love it,thanks ,it seems easy cant wait to try it
Posts: 128 | From: Lower hudson valley,ny | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ishiwannabe
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11213

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ishiwannabe   Email ishiwannabe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Picked up a few tips, thanks again Curt.
Great way to make em quick.

--------------------
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
-Jamie

Posts: 4441 | From: Coxsackie, NY | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Batten
Contributor 2013
Member # 7925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Batten   Email Don Batten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice Curt. I do em about the same except I now use a small piece of heat shrink on the front and back of the feather and I start at the nock end with the back of the feather. DB

--------------------
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Posts: 2305 | From: New Bern .NC | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Bowers
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Bowers   Email Dave Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome!!! [thumbsup]

Thanks for posting, I have been wanting to learn how to build these for a while now. Now I see its not that hard.

Posts: 1459 | From: Mantua, NJ | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redant 60/65
2017 Contributor
Member # 6529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redant 60/65   Email redant 60/65   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very Cool [Cool]

--------------------
Larry

Posts: 1164 | From: San Diego, East County, Ca. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BowHuntingFool
Contributor 2008
Member # 14899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BowHuntingFool   Email BowHuntingFool   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bowers:
Awesome!!! [thumbsup]

Thanks for posting, I have been wanting to learn how to build these for a while now. Now I see its not that hard.

Me too, I was looking for regular Flu Flu feathers to try, not now, I like the looks of these! I just wish I would of seen this a week ago! [banghead] Good stuff thanks for the info!

--------------------
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Ojibwa Bowhunters

Posts: 3578 | From: S.E.Wisconsin/N.Michigan | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jacobsladder
Contributor 2014
Member # 11164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jacobsladder   Email jacobsladder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks curt!

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will" Robert Service

Posts: 3678 | From: dansville ,michigan | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stagetek
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stagetek   Email stagetek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whats the difference between regular fletched and spiral fletched flu-flu's ? I've only had experiance with 3 or 6 fletch. Are the spiral better, or just look better ?
Posts: 1428 | From: Pewaukee, WI. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
overbo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for overbo   Email overbo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fletch-tape works great for those also.
Posts: 2251 | From: Va | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtpops
Contributor 2015
Member # 7254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtpops   Email wtpops   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by stagetek:
Whats the difference between regular fletched and spiral fletched flu-flu's ? I've only had experiance with 3 or 6 fletch. Are the spiral better, or just look better ?

In my experiance they stop faster. I will use two full lenght feathers and have a tighter twist

-

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Posts: 2723 | From: Siloam Springs, AR | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pig Sticker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pig Sticker   Email Pig Sticker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was GREAT! Where'd you get the full length feathers?
Posts: 139 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HATCHCHASER
Contributor 2010
Member # 13016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HATCHCHASER   Author's Homepage   Email HATCHCHASER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of glue are you using? I have all kind of mismatched shafts. Didn't think of turning them into fluflu's. Thanks man!

--------------------
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Posts: 1706 | From: Back in North GA FOREVER | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©