JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN MOVED TO How To - Resources.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » crafting excellent woodies (Page 3)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   
Author Topic: crafting excellent woodies
Ed Q
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Q   Email Ed Q   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting this. I would've never thought of using a block of styrofoam. Does sticking them into the foam take off some of the stain at the ends? Where do you get this aniline dye and how long does it take to dry?

I made my first batch a little over a month ago and hung them to dry on a clothesline using clothes pins. I guess I brushed on too much of the minwax poly stain/sealant with a brush, because they were dripping all over the ground.

Posts: 203 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Q:
Thanks for posting this. I would've never thought of using a block of styrofoam. Does sticking them into the foam take off some of the stain at the ends?

probably. don't matter. remember, all finishing is done with full 32" length shafts! i'm gonna whack off over 2" for my 29.5" final length arras.

Where do you get this aniline dye and how long does it take to dry?

i get the aniline dye stain in powder from www.reranch.com - my primary, almost daily use is in staining guitar wood. it can be mixed with either water or alcohol but i prefer water as wiping it on (as opposed to airbrushing it on - i do that, too) blends it all in better.

I made my first batch a little over a month ago and hung them to dry on a clothesline using clothes pins.

i also have a 36 pin clothespin drying rack in my shop, but a block of any kinda stiff foam is much easier to use - you always want the drying shaft kept with nock up and pointed end down, to allow any running of finish towards the pointy end.

I guess I brushed on too much of the minwax poly stain/sealant with a brush, because they were dripping all over the ground.

don't use a brush for any kinda finish on arrow shafting - either wipe or dip. i used to dip and made arrows far too pretty to fly, but wiping is so much easier, faster, cheaper and pretty darn good lookin', too!

--------------------
IAM ~ Black Powder Gang ~ TANJ ~ TGMM ~ NRA Patriot Life ~ NRA RSO

Posts: 10052 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tradshooter
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 13600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tradshooter   Email tradshooter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, Thank you for a great Tutorial, with new ideas and instruction that is A1. Your pictures and explanations are great and you are helping a lot of us out here. I look forward to the rest of your instruction. Looks like there will be a lot more woodies in our quivers this year! Thanks again!
Posts: 382 | From: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Day Dreamer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Day Dreamer   Email Day Dreamer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TTT for a very good tutorial.
Posts: 531 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TWarrows
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 29174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TWarrows   Email TWarrows   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
very nice for some simple shafts..
Posts: 235 | From: mississippi | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sorefingers
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sorefingers   Email sorefingers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rob I to intend to start on some woodies

--------------------
psalm 83:18

Posts: 962 | From: Mo. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LimBender
Contributor 2013
Member # 28435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LimBender   Email LimBender   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is definitely bookmark worthy stuff. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

--------------------
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Posts: 1243 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
third coat of clear administered this morning. fourth coat goes on tonite. will be ready for the next part of the process tomorrow. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 10052 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ed Q
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Q   Email Ed Q   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again for the info, Rob.
Posts: 203 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SCATTERSHOT
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SCATTERSHOT   Email SCATTERSHOT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This should prolly be a sticky.

--------------------
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Posts: 3564 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Margly
Contributor 2013
Member # 18615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Margly   Author's Homepage   Email Margly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent Rob!
Thank you for taking us along [thumbsup]

Margly

--------------------
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey [thumbsup]

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 1585 | From: Norway | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Earley
2017 Contributor
Member # 1553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Earley   Email Dave Earley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let us know your secrets for ensuring perfect nock and broadhead alignment !

--------------------
Dave Earley

"Papa shoot arrows at deer, we eat tasty steaks !" Matt, my 3 yr old grandson.
Leon Stewart Slammer 64" 55#

Posts: 318 | From: Wooster, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Earley:
Let us know your secrets for ensuring perfect nock and broadhead alignment !

there really are no secrets.

first, make sure the shaft is as true as can be by rolling on a dead flat surface (i use a corian kitchen counter). any high points need to be heated (hair dryer or heat gun) and compressed (screwdriver, hook, or my fave - a dunlop 925 steel guitar slide, using the finger groove on the shaft).

cut good tapers for both the nock and point.

push on the nock and rotate/spin the shaft to see of the nock is true. if so, glue on the nock... if not, adjust the nock taper (sand very little at a time) until it pushes on and spins true, then glue it on permanently.

push on the point and spin the shaft on the point. adjust as above until the shaft spins true on the point. hot melt glue in place.

woodies are so much more work than carbs or alums. [Big Grin]

--------------------

shoes
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 11550

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoes   Email shoes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really nice Rob,this will help out alot of people.

--------------------
Dreams are made taller than we are. Never stop reaching!
WTA member
PBS Associate Member
Pope and Young Club

Posts: 321 | From: Waunakee, Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akdd
Contributor 2015
Member # 15418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for akdd   Email akdd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great info.Thanks Rob. I hope that this makes it way to the how to section.
Posts: 468 | From: Alaska | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©