JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN MOVED TO How To - Resources.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » crafting excellent woodies (Page 8)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: crafting excellent woodies
pergradus
Member # 29401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pergradus   Email pergradus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love working with wood. This seems like a lot of fun.
Posts: 26 | From: NY | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
burning feathers

i've sharpie crested the remaining 6 woodies, and even did an under-fletch crest. i'll be fletching up with trueflight graybarred turks and burning them to shape after they're on the shafts. the 3 fletches for each arrow will be 5-1/4" long and i've created a 'fat' hi-back shield shape in a new nichrome burning wire for the young burner. i'll be using a cheap bohning fletching jig with a left wing helical clamp. as always, feathers will be stuck on with bohning fletch tape.

first, cut cut down a buncha full length trueflights to 5-1/4" lengths. i like to angle the front of the quill back towards the nock end ...

-

... and the back of the quill towards the point end - these angles make for a better transition of the quill to the shaft.

-

-

-

this part is the same as i did for the 4-fletch banana fletching - put a shaft into the fletching jig, feather into the clamp - note there's a mark on the clamp where the back of the fletch lines up with, put tape on the quill base, remove the tape's plastic backing, and the clamp onto the jig, press down *firmly* and then do it again ...

-

-

-

--------------------
IAM ~ Black Powder Gang ~ TANJ ~ TGMM ~ NRA Patriot Life ~ NRA RSO

Posts: 10052 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
do the same for the remaining two fletches - pull off the clamp, rotate the jig for the next feather, put a new fletch into the clamp ...

-

-

when all fletched up, pull out the arrow and snip off the rear of the feathers with a scissor to make it easier for feather burning ...

-

whether it's a new wire shape or an old one, always check the the wire with a bare shaft of the type yer about to fletch, to make sure the wire is just barely away from the shaft, then load in a feathered shaft ...

-

-

my feather burn connects to an on/off momentary footswitch, so i tap and hold the footswitch as the wire heats up and when it just starts to glow orange-red i carefully rotate the shaft to trim all three feathers, and the remove weight on the switch to stop the wire heating up, and remove the arrow ...

-

-

-

--------------------

Posts: 10052 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

a 3 pack of burnt feather woodies with fat helical fletchings ...

-

-

--------------------

JamesJamison
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 26025

Icon 10 posted      Profile for JamesJamison   Email JamesJamison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
quote:
Originally posted by JamesJamison:
... As far as cost, would it be a cost effective altervative to aluminum or carbon?

woodies are a labor of love.

since finishing, and possibly straightening, is always part of woodie crafting, there is more expense and time involved than making carbons or alums.

i love woodies and will always build and shoot them ... but without a doubt, carbons are the most durable, and consistent with regards to both accuracy and climate, and easiest to craft arrows of all shafting material readily available today.

The thought of making my own arrows, sure sounds appealing, but I was curious, how the cost of making them from wood compares to buying finished arrows of carbon and aluminum. The last dozen of alum. cost me around 75.00 if I remeber right.

I am waiting on my first trad bow to arrive in a few weeks, and after a season or two of shooting and hunting, I would also love to attempt to build my own self bow, and wooden arrows just seem to be natural. Maybe I just dream to big,

Posts: 177 | From: Ky | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

quote:
Originally posted by JamesJamison:
[... I am waiting on my first trad bow to arrive in a few weeks, and after a season or two of shooting and hunting, I would also love to attempt to build my own self bow, and wooden arrows just seem to be natural. Maybe I just dream to big,

without our dreams we are automaton creatures living out the dreams of others. be thankful for your dreams. [Smile]

--------------------

wooddamon1
Contributor 2018
Member # 26099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wooddamon1   Email wooddamon1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After following this thread,I'm kinda embarassed how much I spent setting up to build woodies.LOL.Thanks for your efforts,gonna try this way soon.BTW,who's a good source for the surewoods?Thanks again.

--------------------
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Posts: 4762 | From: Muskegon, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shakes.602
Contributor 2014
Member # 4176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shakes.602   Email Shakes.602   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE WOODEN ARROWS!!! [clapper] Them and the Wooden, Spring Loaded, "1 Billion and One Uses" Clothespins!! Ah, Life Is Good!! [archer2]
Well Done Mr. Rob!! [clapper] Well Done Sir!! [clapper]

--------------------
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Posts: 5567 | From: Crawfordsville, Indiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

i'm not sure if other trad gang sponsors offer surewoods, but i get mine from tim @ braveheart archery

--------------------

Rooselk
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rooselk   Email Rooselk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woodamon, Braveheart is definately a great place to buy the Surewoods. My experience from buying other items from Braveheart is they have very quick service. But you can also buy shafts directly from Surewood Shafts.

--------------------
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Posts: 1959 | From: Billings, Montana | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3Under
Contributor 2007
Member # 1713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3Under   Email 3Under   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great instructual post Rob.
I really appreciate your efforts in sharing your experience/knowledge.
Larry

Posts: 608 | From: Central Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

another 3 pack of burnt feather woodies with fat helical fletchings hot off the burner not 10 minutes ago ...

-

-

--------------------

MJB
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MJB   Email MJB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
a 3 pack of burnt feather woodies with fat helical fletchings ...

-

-

OUTSTANDING Rob , I like um [thumbsup]

--------------------
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Posts: 2203 | From: Schuylkill Co PA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wooddamon1
Contributor 2018
Member # 26099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wooddamon1   Email wooddamon1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks gentlemen,looked at the site for Braveheart.Think I'll order a dozen.So the Bohning fletch tape is compatible with any finish?Thanks again...

--------------------
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Posts: 4762 | From: Muskegon, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

quote:
Originally posted by wooddamon1:
....So the Bohning fletch tape is compatible with any finish?Thanks again...

absolutely.

--------------------

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©