JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » Tied-on string nock (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Tied-on string nock
stik&string
Contributor 2015
Member # 18418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stik&string     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, simple and nice looking.
Posts: 949 | From: WI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gator1
Contributor 2017
Member # 11196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gator1   Email Gator1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
McDave,

Fantastic Video, I was wondering what material you use for the tie on nock? I was wondering if dental floss would work in this application.

Posts: 4816 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbCrow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbCrow   Email cbCrow       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using tie-ons for a long time but that is the easiest way I've seen to do this! I always say "if not broke don't fix it" but definitly will change the way I tie them on. Thanks McDave.
Posts: 989 | From: Kingsport,Tn | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tradbower
Contributor 2014
Member # 7295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tradbower   Email tradbower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great how to video. I will use your tie on method next time.

--------------------
"Never to old to learn something new"

Posts: 869 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mudd
2017 Contributor
Member # 184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mudd   Author's Homepage   Email Mudd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great job Dave!

Thanks for sharing that.

My 1st thoughts were, that would be a good way to serve up a nocking point for those who would like to try shooting without a glove or tab.

I know I am tempted. Why! Just because I can....lol

Thanks agin!

God bless,Mudd

--------------------
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Posts: 12024 | From: Ashland,Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elkchaser
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 3860

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkchaser   Email Elkchaser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great video tutorial. Thank you foe sharing that.
Something new to try.
[clapper] [thumbsup]

--------------------
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51# @ 28"
Toelke Pika TD 56", 51# @ 28"

Posts: 1549 | From: Billings, Montana | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gator, I've tried a lot of different material for the tied on nock. The one I used in the video was dacron bowstring. I've also used fastflight bowstring and serving thread. You want to use something that is thick enough that it actually works as a nock; some material is so thin it sort of disappears in the serving and the arrow nock might slip over the end of it. I've also tried some material that is too thick, like bowfishing line, and doesn't seem to work as well either. I haven't tried dental floss, but it might work if it's thick enough to function as a nock.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4232 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redant 60/65
2017 Contributor
Member # 6529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redant 60/65   Email redant 60/65   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice and clean [thumbsup]

--------------------
Larry

Posts: 1164 | From: San Diego, East County, Ca. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve O
Contributor 2017
Member # 503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve O   Email Steve O   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, is that style so tight that you cannot twist it up and down to fine tune your nock point or is that an option.

--------------------
If you are a dedicated, ethical, and responsible bowhunter, check out The Professional Bowhunters Society.

Posts: 6192 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Old Chief
Contributor 2017
Member # 34354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Old Chief   Email Old Chief   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for posting this. Tried it this mornninng and it works beter than any other tied nock I have use.
Posts: 516 | From: CA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soilarch
Contributor 2016
Member # 17679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soilarch   Email Soilarch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying this. I've always hated brass nocks, but have never had luck making/glueing tied nocks before.

--------------------
Micah 6:8

Posts: 648 | From: SE Illinois | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Earlier, I would leave the knot a little loose and then I could screw it up and down the serving and adjust it a little. I would tighten the knot after I got it positioned where I wanted it. Generally, I found that this required gluing the knot after it was in its final position, as it didn't seem to be quite as tight as when I tighten it at the same time I make it.

However, I prefer tightening the knot at the time I make it, as it seems to stay tight that way without the need for glue, and makes it easier to replace than a glued-on nock. I use a loosely fastened metal nock during the tuning process, and then replace it with a tied-on nock when I know where I want the nock point to be.

The nock material does get worn after a period of use and needs to be replaced, or I might change my mind about where the nock should be located, so I do get a fair amount of practice making these things. Enough that I can anticipate the shrinkage that will take place when I cinch up the knot and so extend the wraps a little further down the serving than I want them to end up after I tighten the knot.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4232 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pitt98
Contributor 2016
Member # 24100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pitt98   Email pitt98   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Video won't play and says video not found.

--------------------
Damon Howatt Super Diablo 54# @28
BW PSA 60" 51# @28
RER Arroyo 58" 60# @28
Kwyk Styk 54" 54#@28
Eaglewing Talon 11 62" 53# @28
Zipper Nitro 60" 47#@28
Allegheny Mt longbow 60" 40#@28

Posts: 119 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akdd
Contributor 2015
Member # 15418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for akdd   Email akdd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks,great video with easy to follow directions. This would be a good one for the how to forum.
Posts: 468 | From: Alaska | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WRV
Contributor 2017
Member # 24699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WRV   Email WRV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing.......Randy

--------------------
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Super Shrew Samurai 58" 53@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Posts: 1097 | From: Mebane, North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©