JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » 4 point footing..start to finish..pic heavy (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 4 point footing..start to finish..pic heavy
lovethehunt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22860

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovethehunt   Email lovethehunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was asking questions here the last couple of weeks about footing wood shafts and the effect on spine, etc. I gathered the goods to try it and want to share the process. These are not my original ideas and take no credit for them. I am just a guy who likes to build my own equipement.

Materials:

1x4x10 maple block
threaded inserts and 1.25" thumb screws
90' v-bit and router
router table, I use a home made one.
arrow shafts...these were broke off at the point and now are alive again.
footing material .5x.5x8" I used walnut
glue

Start by making your footing jig..there are good posts on this.
 -

-
I marked the short end of mine so it was easier to rotate the shaft and line it back up.

Next put the shaft in your jig, nock to the tall end and end to be cut flush with the short end, and transfer the lines to your arrow.

Now feed the arrow through your router table tall end first, go slow.

-

Posts: 220 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovethehunt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22860

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovethehunt   Email lovethehunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
your shaft should look like this when cut

-
 -

next cut your footing material .5x.5x8 and mark it for the foot

-
 -

-

I made these cuts on a band saw

Posts: 220 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Vines   Email Mike Vines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been waiting on this one Todd. Thank you for doing this.

--------------------
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Posts: 5342 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovethehunt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22860

now open the cuts and try to get glue all the way down to the bottom, them glue the shaft also.

Put some small clamps at the base of the cuts. the shaft will split the foot if you don't

-

push the shaft in as far as you can and let it dry overnight

now here is the laborus part.

use a block plane to start making your square foot round again. finish this with sand paper. I used a 11/32 guage from my taper tool to help. Go slow and work toward the nock.

-

-

lovethehunt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22860

this may take 20 mimuts, a sharp plane is the key. You will get faster as you go. Last one took 5 min.

-

There you go, start to finish, 4 point footing!

-

I tried mine out they flew great! One only got to make the trip 4 times before it was broke but the footing held. Trees are tough on arrow!

Enjoy you new project,

Todd

FOX SQUIRREL NUTS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FOX SQUIRREL NUTS   Email FOX SQUIRREL NUTS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nice job!
Posts: 241 | From: Hickory Tree, Ohio | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stickhorse
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stickhorse   Email stickhorse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This ONE needs to be moved to the HOW TO RESOURCES at the end of the thread.

Great info. Thanks

Posts: 734 | From: gardner, Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FOX SQUIRREL NUTS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FOX SQUIRREL NUTS   Email FOX SQUIRREL NUTS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can I ask what glue you used? I see tight bond in the picture but wanted to double check.
Posts: 241 | From: Hickory Tree, Ohio | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cookus
Contributor 2013
Member # 17834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cookus   Email Cookus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job on the tutorial!

--------------------
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Posts: 902 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m midd
Contributor 2016
Member # 20067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m midd   Email m midd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome.. This should be posted in the how too section..Great job

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Posts: 1413 | From: jonesboro Arkansas | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m midd
Contributor 2016
Member # 20067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m midd   Email m midd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Todd, how long is the jig and what angle is the top cut?

Thanks, Mike

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Posts: 1413 | From: jonesboro Arkansas | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason R. Wesbrock
Charter
Member # 367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason R. Wesbrock   Email Jason R. Wesbrock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent work!
Posts: 3771 | From: Northeast Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steadman
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 6498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steadman   Author's Homepage   Email steadman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info! Great job [thumbsup]

--------------------
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Posts: 4849 | From: Utah | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wooddamon1
Contributor 2016
Member # 26099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wooddamon1   Email wooddamon1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for putting this out there, that's a nice job!

--------------------
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Posts: 4761 | From: Muskegon, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coiloil37
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 25427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coiloil37   Email Coiloil37   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That answered a few questions I had on how guys footed arrows, thanks. Not to mention... Nice work.
Posts: 151 | From: Alberta | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©